dnewton is a punkass bitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dnewton is a punkass bitch

Some asshole named dnewton has just rated a bunch of stories with a 1, including my baby, Country from Hell. This shit really does piss me off. The fewer lists a story shows up in, the less it gets read. Fucking A. I reset the ratings and asked the two people who had rated it to please resubmit. I guess nothing will ever be done about this. I probably shouldn't care, but I do.

I have to sign off now for some bullshit with the Comcast guys, but another story that got whacked was Teatime of Infinity. Usoki, you might wanna check it out.

Fuck you, dnewton.
    Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

What a perfect opportunity to revisit my infinite-story weighted system which would virtually elimenate this sort of nonsense from happening (and it happens far to often to ignore):

The point system would be simple enough, I have two story, each have been rated four times and were rated ten on each rating, my total "points" would be 80 (each rating counts as a total point value) These points factor into me "level" of rating. An idiot user who writes ten stories of absolute shit and has had five ratings of "1" on each would have a total of 50 points. Say the users' level increases every 30 to 40 points or so: Level 1 (0-29pts) Your vote counts as one. Level 2: (30-59pts) Your vote counts as two. (ETC, ETC)

I think that could work out nicely here. However, this would be unfair to users like dragavan, who has ten ratings on one of his stories (9.1 average = 91 points). While 91 points isn't so bad, the idiot mentioned above can obtain more points depending on how many stories they put out.

what about point values for each story rated, regardless of the rating? (5 or so?) Or like 5 points for rating a story and 10 for leaving a comment, or something similar.

This would mean more people rating stories, and more comments, which in turn would give other users more points.

A suggested level tier would be the following:

Level 1: 0-149
    Level 2: 150-349
    Level 3: 350-649
    Level 4: 650-999
    Level 5: 1000-1499
    Level 6: 1500-2049
    Level 7: 2050-2799
    Level 8: 2800-3699
    Level 9: 3700-4999
    Level 10: 5000+

I suggest a cap at 10. As you can see, the point total it takes to reach the "next level" increases. I capped it off at 10, since.. Shit, that would make that persons' weight 10 times that of a n00b. I don't think it should go past ten, but ten would take a long while to hit and is certainly a goal.

Not only would this help in making the rating system better (though of course not perfect), it would also give users an additional goal, which should (in theory) attract more visitors, or at least have people stick around longer aching to reach the next level.

Also, there would need to be a way to lose points, like maybe with how far off of the average "true" rating your score is resulting in a loss of some points? That way you can't just fuck around and expect to stay on top.
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I just think we need a ratings moderator who can delete unfair ratings.
      Click it now.

Comment

Do you remember anything else he rated? I'm curious to see how/what he was doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Vesnic View Post
          Some asshole named dnewton has just rated a bunch of stories with a 1, including my baby, Country from Hell...
          Yeah, you call 3 stories a Bunch (assuming you cleared your ratings to get rid of his).

Originally posted by donteatpoop View Post
          Do you remember anything else he rated? I'm curious to see how/what he was doing...
          All that is listed in his ratings section are the following (all on the same day).

Choose your own Harry Potter Fanfic he rated 1
          Lollik's Tale he rated 2
          The Teatime Of Infinity he rated 1
          Pokemon Adventure! he rated 6

...and that's it. I don't see this as an abuser, just not a fan of stories apparently. Odds are he will not come back ever again in a little while and he will be forgotten.

But, I think a simple weighted system based on number of ratings and comments could be a good things. I would leave the exact math and algorithms secret so help cut down on people who would like to find ways to abuse it (as has happened on nearly every site with a weighted system).
          Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Just view his ratings from his profile.

Choose your own Harry Potter Fanfic 1
            Lollik's Tale 2
            The Teatime Of Infinity 1
            Pokemon Adventure! 6

EDIT: Drag beat me to it.
            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Well, I'm not quite as protective of Teatime as I am some of my other works, so I'm not quite as pissed off as I could be. Also, out of all of my stories, Teatime has the most buffer. So, really, he attacked the best one. I've got ten ratings in the 9-10 range; anything else would suffer far worse.

Still, if we can't have a weighted system, could we at least have the option to delete blank or bogus comments? That is, if we required a review to be put into the box, people'd just pound gibberish on their keyboard. So, someone should be able to delete blank and bogus crap like that. That'd go a long way on fighting crap ratings like that.
              Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
              Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
              And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Yeah, I prefer that idea Usoki.

I've said it before, dumb ass comments annoy me far more than random ratings of "1"
                Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragavan View Post

...and that's it. I don't see this as an abuser, just not a fan of stories apparently.
                  I disagree. This is absolutely an abuse. It's even worse that he DIDN'T leave any comments to at least leave a valid explanation. I'm sorry, but I poured my heart and soul into that story and it won the contest. By no means does it deserve a rating of one. I don't care what's done to fix it at this point, as long as it's fixed.
                  Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM.
                  My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Comments should be mandatory, and have a minimum character count. And yes, I am aware that we will still get asddfghdghk for the comments, but it should convert a few of them at least. And we already have blanks, so I don't see gibberish as a step down at all.
                    Last edited by donteatpoop; 01-24-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Coming from you, Dragavan, I must disagree wholeheartedly as well.

Back in the day, when I would rate your stories with a one, you created quite a fuss. Maybe not on the forums, but with private messages. And yes, three stories ARE a bunch.

Seems like you take being the Devil's Advocate a little too far these days. Anyone who would rate Ves's story with a '1' is CLEARLY an abuser. Especially with no comment left to explain their wanton vandalism.

Comment

Guys, a ratings moderator would solve all of this. I elect End or Dep or Me.
                        Click it now.

Comment

Elect whatever you want- it means nothing without Sev's support.
                          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

And it's never going to happen. Maybe the sad truth is there is nothing we CAN do about it. Maybe we should all void our ratings like EndMaster used to do and just leave it at that.

Start leaving comments instead of ratings. I think this would be the way to go, but it would require participation from everyone who frequents this forum or this site.

Comment

Censorship in its many forms is extremely repugnant to me. For this reason, I don't LIKE any of the solutions to the problem.

However, I do have a few things that I could stand behind... the first a weighted system based on the outcome of a simple IQ test required for registration. I think we should ignore stupid people. I don't care what they have to say anyway. It would be fun to create a completely elitist site with only intelligent people being able to contribute to the value ratings of stories. BUT, that probably won't happen... and it wouldn't stop people like Michael with his 180 IQ from wrecking the system when he is PMSing.

So, how about we create a brute squad of moderators to decide when the system is being abused. A group of four people, four people invited and selected not by us, but by Sev. These people would be responsible for addressing concerns when they are brought forth from individuals. They would be held to a standard of integrity and not permitted to address their own issues. A minimum of two in agreement would be required before a change would go into affect. This is still censorship, but it doesn't establish a dictatorship.

Also, if we established that comments are mandatory for the ratings to count, I wonder if we could arrange it so that comments with spelling errors are excluded. I would be behind that as well.

As a general rule though I dislike the idea of censorship, and feel we should resist the urge to moderate. Even though I have been victimized by MRH's tiny dickhead ratings, I'm not completely behind the idea.

Whatever Sev decides is fine by me.

Oh... and Ves. DNewton would never pass my IQ test. And I bet he has a small prick. And if she's a girl then she's clearly one of the woman hating ones Chubby was talking about the other day.
                              Last edited by Hi! My name is: Katie; 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM.
                              ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information