Buckling Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckling Down

I haven't so much as looked at my novel since the end of Nanowrimo and this is a prospect that disturbs me greatly. I've decided I need to set up a word quota for how much I need to add to my novel each day or week from now until it is finished. What does everyone thing a suitable quantity is to sustain indefinitely until my novel is complete? It needs to be small enough that it will be manageable no matter what but not so small that I won't ever get the novel done. What does everyone think is reasonable word count per day for a writer?

(If I'm extraordinarily busy on a day I will have to do double before hand)

I just know if I don't set a strict rule the first draft will never be finished and the novel may never see the light of day.
    Click it now.

I thought you said your NaNoWriMo thing was trash, like most NaNo creations are?

If it's not, then I still don't recommend setting a word limit. Writing just doesn't happen that way. Sometimes you're inspired and can crank out five brilliant pages in as many minutes. Other times it's all you can do to create one paragraph, and even that gets revised over and over again.
    Last edited by Vesnic; 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Not that I'm one to speak on the subject, really, but it seems to me as long as you do some work on the project each day, that's progress, habit, and does something to combat the procrastination. Even if it's only a sentence or some editing, it's always a little closer to completion. If you're on a roll, of course, go with it.
      Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I've tried setting limits for myself. And usually I've discovered that whenever I forced myself against my will to write it turned out ghastly. My Muse is a fickle bitch. She really hates me. I think I'm gonna smoke pot. She likes pot. That'll bring her back. Now to FIND pot. And then to get enough money to buy some. I am brokeeeee.....
        Devils are the bagel's favourite breakfast food!

Comment

I thought marijuana grew in India like the hair on an Irishman's back?

What ARE India's drug laws, thoric? Is marijuana illegal there? TRAGIC!

I shot my muse three years ago. Never been happier.

Comment

Originally posted by ChubbyTeletubby View Post
            I thought marijuana grew in India like the hair on an Irishman's back?

What ARE India's drug laws, thoric? Is marijuana illegal there? TRAGIC!

I shot my muse three years ago. Never been happier.
            Aaaaand archived!

Afghanistan has more marijuana. India doesn't produce as many drugs. It is more of a smuggling centre. The growers bring their dope to people in India. They sell it to the rest of the world. And yes marijuana is illegal. And ridiculously expensive. Only the elite can afford drugs here.
            Devils are the bagel's favourite breakfast food!

Comment

I don't understand why marijuana isn't legal everywhere. It doesn't seem more dangerous than a lot of other drugs. Plus, once we legalize it we can tax the hell out of it. Imagine it: we legalize pot and then use the proceeds to pay for rehab clinics.

Apoth-
              As for how much to write in one sitting I do it like this. I pick a date in the future. A point by which I want to be finished. I pick a target number of words. Then using a mathematical equation I calculate how many words per day I would have to write and that's what I do. I make a minimum for each day, and calculate by week. So that at least if I am off one day I can still be on target for the week. I don't do well writing more than 2,000 words per day on average. However, I've written 4,600 words once in a day. So, that's just me personally. I know you like math, maybe this system will work for you too!

OH! and as for figuring out how many words you need for a complete novel grab a novel the size you are aiming for, count the words on the last page and multiply it by the number of pages. (This is writer's advise from a friend of mine who is published.) Then you'll have a ballpark figure. If you finish before then you'll be pleasantly surprised, if you keep going that too isn't a problem, and by then you'll have established the habit.
              Good luck!
              ~Katie
              Last edited by Hi! My name is: Katie; 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM.
              ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Originally posted by thoric View Post
                Aaaaand archived!

Afghanistan has more marijuana. India doesn't produce as many drugs. It is more of a smuggling centre. The growers bring their dope to people in India. They sell it to the rest of the world. And yes marijuana is illegal. And ridiculously expensive. Only the elite can afford drugs here.
                Ya. My dad went to Afghanistan before and after 9/11 and didn't bring me along. He said opium, heroin, hash, and marijuana a'plenty abounded. It's pretty funny. All of those Talibans that I saw on CNN getting killed after 9/11 were close associates of my dad. Don't get me wrong: he hated them. He was merely trying to move wheelchairs into the war-ridden country.

Five years later he said the children were flying kites, and that at least was a positive sign. He also said the Canadian troops there are the burliest he's ever seen and extremely disciplined.

The fool. HA! I still hate him even after his death. In a loving way. Like I hate all everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChubbyTeletubby View Post
                  Ya. My dad went to Afghanistan before and after 9/11 and didn't bring me along. He said opium, heroin, hash, and marijuana a'plenty abounded. It's pretty funny. All of those Talibans that I saw on CNN getting killed after 9/11 were close associates of my dad. Don't get me wrong: he hated them. He was merely trying to move wheelchairs into the war-ridden country.

Five years later he said the children were flying kites, and that at least was a positive sign. He also said the Canadian troops there are the burliest he's ever seen and extremely disciplined.

The fool. HA! I still hate him even after his death. In a loving way. Like I hate all everyone.
                  ~ARCHIVED~
                  ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Meh, I have no muse. Anything inspirational inspires me to be lazy. I need a number to set. Considering second semester is upon me and that will be a bitch, I think I'll set it much less than the 1666.7 words per day I was doing during Nanowrimo. 500 words a day seems like a good thing to start with. We shall see how it goes.

As for my story, I have decided not to proof read it until I am done, to ensure I don't get really depressed and delete the whole thing, so write now I really don't know what kind of quality I am looking at here. Suffice to say, if nothing else, it will be added to HOID, but I want to make something more of it than that.
                    Click it now.

Comment

Mhm, Thoric is in fact from India. And I have one thing to say to him about that. "They toork er jerrrbs!" (We are actually exporting our ex rays out to India to be looked at by their radiologists because it is cheaper, I read a paper about it. Brilliant business strategy if you ask me. With digital technology, why pay more to have some guy over here do it when they will do it for less and are only an email away?)

Anyway, I'm thinking I can always add more dialouge if I am behind on my word count. A long conversation about what to eat for breakfast always enriches the plot. I can also have the protagonist kill off some unimportant characters.
                      Click it now.

Comment

Update

I did the math and if I stay on schedule with 500 words per day I will have 500 pages by the end of June. I'm already a tiny bit ahead of schedule so overall its a good start.
                        Click it now.

Comment

Good job dude.
                          ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

I wrote over 1,000 words today for Country from Hell!

WooHOOOOO!!

It's very odd and unusual, this feeling of, accomplishment.
                            Last edited by Vesnic; 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM.
                            My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Yay Ves

I have also been kicking ass having written two paragraphs for my new novel before being distracted by the forums.

And two whoever it was that said most Nano entries end up like crap, I'd like to link you to what it got me to write so far (and one day I'll come back to, I swear.)

Oh yeah, the link. Right...
                              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information