Resetting the Ratings on Hall of Infinite Doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting the Ratings on Hall of Infinite Doors

I've gotten 2 abusive ratings at this point, and a lot of the earlier ratings were done before even 1% of the story had been written, so I'm thinking it would be best to wipe the slate and start it out fresh. What does everyone think? Would you all rerate if I did that?
    Click it now.

I don't think that last one is abusive. He gave you a comment- he finds no plot in it, and he thinks it sucks.

That being said, I find it ridiculous that 2 out of 26 ratings can cause your overall rate to drop that much. It's kinda ridiculous.
    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I'm always torn when it comes to HoID. It was quite a coup that you were able to get so many people to contribute on such a massive scale. It's a real phenomenon. On the other hand, a lot of the writing in it is pretty awful. Just because the overall concept behind it was very successful doesn't mean I want to reward the plethora of random retards who contributed with an undeserved high rating. If you were to be selective and throw more stuff out, thus improving the overall quality of HoID (while admittedly diminishing its size), then I would be more favorably disposed toward it.
      Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM.
      My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Ves, have you checked out the page that links to the best works on HOID? I think it should be judged by some of the amazing stories within it, not by the crap that fills the other doors. It's the price one pays when they want to have a massive collaborative effort. If I was a real hard ass about what was deleted, it would not have the "infinite feeling" that it does now.

Also, I debate the newest 1 rating as being legitimate. I doubt he actually read any of the decent stories within it.
        Click it now.

Comment

Sigh...

I won't deny that HoID has some really good stuff in it, but why make the reader go slogging through all the garbage to get there? Also, I wouldn't really call it a collaboration because everyone is basically just filling in their own little sub-story. There's no thread tying anything together.

I agree that the rating of one was abusive, hence why Sev is helping us to fix that problem. If you want to reset the ratings, I will re-rate.

(All I'm saying is you can't have it both ways. If you want me to really focus on the enormity of the story, then I'm going to have to acknowledge that a lot of it is just filler garbage. If you want me to focus on the quality of the few stories behind the iron door or whichever it was, then I'm not going to give you extra points for having a humongous story.)
          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I bet your points would have even more of a sting if you weren't using some of the most ridiculously fruity sayings I've ever heard. But it is a good point.

Like everyone is is maybe saying... I wouldn't rate it as highly the second time around. I'm all for quality, not quantity.
            Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.

Comment

It's you're story, apoth; do what you want. But remember that the stupid-ass ratings will likely just resurface in time.

It doesn't matter if your reasons are valid or not, the bottom line is that it is yours to do with as you like.

(you whiney ass little bitch)
              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Everyone stand clear of the Poopyman!
                Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I think the extremely high ratings for it are just as annoying and "abusive" as the low ones. The story should be rated on the whole thing and not the best parts. Scale down to one of the shorter works on here and say it has two or three really good pages that make up about 20% of the story and the rest is mediocre or crap, would you rate that story on the three good pages? The same should be done when rating HOID.

Sure, there is some really good stuff on there, but there is also a LOT of crap in there (kind of like this site as a whole). You can't just rate the good parts, so overall the whole thing should end up being lower rated. In fact, with the immense size and varied quality of the thing, the story should get nothing but ratings of 5-6, being averaged out between all of what's in there.

I have also not read nearly all of what's there, so I will still not give it any rating. It wouldn't be fair to the whole thing if I did.
                  Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

The amount of time and effort that have gone into that story is immense, I really think a 5 or 6 would be low balling it to no end. The point isn't to have just a good story, it is suppose to be a diverse spanning universe that you can explore. Nothing else on this site is as expansive and offers that ability. I mean, the site needs one giant collaborative story that newbies can go to, and I think most of us would agree HOID is superior to AMM in that category.
                    Click it now.

Comment

But you assume the site needs a giant collaborative story that newbies can go to in the first place. As an GCSTNCGT, I'd agree that it is fairly well done, and has sections of quality. But by it's very nature as a GCSTNCGT, HOID cannot achieve a high rating because it is a story of quantity, not quality. Most GCSTNCGTs are within the 3-4 range; just because your GCSTNCGT is of a higher quality doesn't change the fact that it's still a GCSTNCGT. I'd put it in the 6-7 range, myself...but it's still very much lacking the gusto it'd need to be rated higher.

Comment

I think this whole thread is just a shabby PR stunt aimed at getting more exposure to HOID in the off chance there's actually someone left on the forum who happened to miss all the other desperate advertisements...christ man who cares about ratings.If you like what you have produced and are satisfied with its current state to hell with the negative assholes.
                        "Defects are always more tolerable than the changes necessary to correct them"

Comment

And the award, for Worst Acronym of the Year (WAOTY), goes to...

USOKI!

Yayy!!!!!!!
                          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I'm confused.

Comment

Thank you, thank you!

I was so worried about getting this award- I was convinced I needed to use GCSTNCGT at least three more times in that post.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information