Minimizing problems through Minimums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimizing problems through Minimums?

Per the debate on this thread, I think we are ready to take a vote on this particular issue. Please select one of the following choices for implementation in the next Infinite Writing Tournament and all future Tournaments until such a time as this question may be brought up again.

Select one of the following four options:

1.) No minimums: there should be no minimum requirements for contest entries. Authors can create as few or as many rooms, and write as few or as many words as they choose.

2.) Minimum of 20 rooms: for eligibility in the contest, authors must create at least 20 rooms, per the site minimum for public visibility.

3.) Word minimum (yet to be determined): stories that do not contain the determined minimum number of words will be disqualified.

4.) Minimum number of rooms and words: inclusive combination of the previous two rules.
    No Minimum Requirements
    33.33%
    Minimum Number of Rooms (20)
    41.67%
    Minimum Word Count (yet to be determined)
    8.33%
    Minimum Number of Rooms AND Minimum Word Count
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

1 (filler characters here)
    http://forums.infinite-story.com/pro...st=ignore&u=36

"The Secret" was right. You were thinking about adding Megaman to your ignore list. And it almost came true! The universe sends you this hyperlink to make your job a lot easier. Click it now.

Comment

My vote, for this contest anyway, goes for no minimums, though if the CYSers get in on it or the community becomes more interested in the tournament as a showcase for readers and potential members, I prefer the 20 room minimum.
      Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Bahahah! I feel like I come from a diseased community of lepers.
        How we paid such close attention
        To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Perhaps, but I hear that your quarantine and inoculations were successful so you may now enjoy our utopia without having to roll around in an enormous transparent hamster ball.
          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Didn't someone suggest Utopia for a contest theme? That could make an... erm.. interesting premise.

Comment

Utopia is boring. Hell might be a nice theme, though.

Comment

Don't be a dunce, Chubby, that's already been done.

And let's keep the topic theme discussion to the correct thread.

kthanxsobai!
                Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I'm voting word count to be contrary. I know it won't win.
                  Click it now.

Comment

Wouldn't it only make sense to have both?

No one wants a 20 room, 20 word story-game and no one wants a 1 room 200000 word story.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ-thebanisher View Post
                      No one wants a 20 room, 20 word story-game and no one wants a 1 room 200000 word story.
                      Yes...but, how many people are actually that stupid? Even Megaman wouldn't do something like that. The fact that these works are peer-edited means that we're looking for a submission minimum, not a "cover all the bases to keep out the shit" minimum.
                      Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                      Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                      And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Well unless you're imposing a heavy restriction, you would assume that they would meet it anyway, right? Seems to me that you're still covering bases.

Still, even if that's not the case, I don't see how it could hurt to have a reasonable minimum on both.

Comment

3J, there was a whole discussion about this in the other thread that probably really would have been useful reading for you before you chose to vote. I know it's water under the bridge at this point, but the fact that you even participated is sort of, well...I'll put it this way. I hope it's like you've just sent your deposit to IS University. You will be attending in the coming months, and taking the full course load which naturally includes the required class, Contest 101.

And one more thing. Drag had mentioned this before. Here they are just stories, not story-games.
                          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

IF we want the winning stories to be featured on the main site then the stories must have a minimum of 20 rooms. Most people did seem to like the idea of having winning stories featured, right? I am not comfortable asking Sev to make exceptions to his own site rules for our contest. That just seems rude.

The word count issue is kind of irrelevant, sure we'll sometimes get a cute story with one sentence rooms, but they never win because of the three categories for judging.

Welcome back JJJ I hope you are enjoying the visit. We are like your own personal Switzerland... mostly neutral. It would be wonderful to have some CYS action in this year's contest.
                            ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Come on Ves, you never put a requirement on the poll, or even asked only people who would be writing for the contest to vote. I did reveal what I said, so if it matters that much to you, then just discount one of the votes for that category. I still think that both restrictions make sense.

Anyway, thanks Katie Maybe I'll actually write something over here.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information