No announcement yet.

IWT6a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope that we do not choose to forgo the rating system that was developed for these contests.
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Well I guess you, as the creator, get the final say.

Like Katie mentioned, it would be unfair not to honor Vesnic's theme, but Usoki also makes a valid point when he says that allowing all entries could prevent this year's contest from totally sucking. That's why I'm suggesting a compromise. I'm not exactly sure how that would change the rating system in and of itself, but perhaps I've missed something in my absence.

I'll probably be entering regardless, so I'm not all that concerned. It's up to you and Usoki.

Comment

I didn't think the rating system was being discarded, I thought the plan was to just not bother with a theme this year and the stories would be rated the same way they always were.
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

The ethical choice, as others have mentioned, is to keep the Infinite Story theme, whether we change the deadline or somehow run the "do anything" theme in conjunction, or not. I'd love to be able to be ethical and have the IS theme work, but realistically, if we keep things the way they are, there won't really be a contest. Unfortunately, I see little point in honoring Ves's choice for a competition since it effectively nullifies that competition anyway; to my mind, the result of keeping it is the same as changing it in that "Infinite Story" will not garner entries either way (not counting a few half-assed ones, rushed from scratch to completion last-minute to beat the deadline).

The fact is, whether we like it or not, the theme she chose has already been more or less dispensed with. Meanwhile, there does seem to be some renewed interest in the contest, so rather than accepting the current lack of one, I'm on board with changing the theme to "do anything" and extending the deadline, anywhere from the proposed January 20 to Easter. It's easier to come to this unethical but necessary decision in light of the fact that Ves herself isn't here anymore and likely doesn't even care about it.

Remember, too, that when last year's contest theme provoked a similar lack of interest, Vesnic changed it, and we ended up with a pretty successful run; there is precedent for this, and it will help the community and the site.

If any of you, like myself, are still uncomfortable with effectively denying her right to choose the theme (though she seems to have left IS for good), there is a middle ground. An Easter deadline (or, at the least, one in mid-February) will allow time for some real quality entries based on the new theme (End, I imagine it would put Primal back in the running), while still allowing anyone who has been working on an "Infinite Story" a legitimate contest of their own on New Year's. As well, if IS2 or a fix of the current site is in the cards, that will put a number of quality stories closer to the relaunch. The only dilemma in that case is how to determine who gets to choose next year's theme.

Whether we're replacing the current contest theme or adopting the new one in addition, "write anything" seems like a good idea at this point, and I am behind it. Ves, if you're opposed to any of this, or have any opinion on the matter, now is the time to let the rest of us know it.

EDIT: I see no reason to change the rating system either way. The one we've been using works quite well.
          Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

If you guys DO end up deciding on declaring the person with the best "Infinite Story" as the true winner (i.e. the person who picks next year's theme), I think the deadline for those should get an extension to January 20 as well -- otherwise I'd probably win by default and that would be lame.

As for honoring Vesnic's theme, the more I think about it, the more I think we have to do it in some way shape or form -- not because it's the moral thing to do per se, but because I think it's important for the survival of the contest in itself. To paraphrase something Dragavan once said:

"There's no point in establishing rules that you aren't going to follow."

We're already on a slipperly slope with pushing back deadlines and what-not. The more we break our regulations, the less meaning this contest has.

The middle ground, to me, is a way of trying to have your cake and eat it, too: as long as we make the person with the best infinite story the true winner, we aren't breaking any rules, AND we get more entries.

Everyone leaves happy (except Vesnic; reason being that her choice of theme didn't cause as much damage as she'd hoped it would).

Okay, I think I'll shut up now.

Or at least try.

Comment

I say Ves' opinion on this doesn't really matter anymore anyway. She disappeared and Usoki's in charge of it now, so he's sort of getting the final say of what's going to happen.

Basically I'm for a completely open theme BUT if there is some sort of overwhelming notion of honoring the "Infinite Story" theme, I suppose I can submit the one I partially did and still try to complete it in time. It still might not be finished by January 20th, but I'll be a good sport and post it. (And then quickly delete it after the contest judging!)

Any extension of the contest deadline regardless of what theme or non-theme is being chosen is okay in my book. Valentine's Day, Easter or whatever is fine with me. (If we're keeping the Infinite Story theme, I'd REALLY like an extension)

As for the rating system, like I said I didn't think we were changing this anyway so I say we still have the usual one in play:

Spelling/Grammar
              Plot/Originality
              Enjoyment

Comment

As far as I know, there were never plans to change the rating system -- I think DEP just got confused or something.

Comment

I received a message from Ves- and it wasn't even "blah blah blah".

Dear Usoki,

You can feel free to post this on the forum as proof of my input if need be. A little birdy told me that there was some debate going on about the contest this year, and that hearing my opinion on the matter might help to clarify things a bit.

I appreciate the efforts made by those who vouched for honoring my choice of topic. Although I am not currently an active member of IS, I am still the winner of last year's contest, and thus according to our rules, the one who has the right to choose this year's contest theme.

I also want to make it clear that my intention was never to be destructive. I would ask you all to remember that at the time I chose this topic, opinion was fairly evenly divided between those who supported the "myth" theme and those who supported "infinite story". The fact that I have been a devoted and vocal participant in the past, and that I have worked hard to enable its success, suggests that I want only the same to continue. I want the contest to go on uninterrupted and to draw in a good number of high-quality contributions.

This being said, it has become quite clear that the "infinite story" theme will no longer lead to a fruitful outcome. However, it is not currently my intention to again become actively involved in this site. Therefore, I want it to be known that I leave all decisions in this matter, including theme and deadline, to my first runner-up, Usoki. All the decisions that were up to me are now up to him.

I wish you all a productive, engaging contest, whatever the final decisions about it might be.

And a Happy New Year,

Ves
                  So- same rating system, "no-theme" theme, and a Jan 20th deadline.

Any attempts to sway my opinion?
                  Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                  Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                  And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

None here, I'm cool with it.

Hope the main site glitch that's kicking people off is fixed soon though, otherwise nobody will be able to submit anything.

Comment

Oddly enough, I was going to say the same thing.

And I don't mind what we do. I just need to get my story to a state where I'd be happy to let it be public

Comment

I'm actually kicking around the idea of getting involved in this one, though I've said that before, so take it with a grain of salt. I personally prefer a deadline between mid-February (Valentine's Day) and Easter (though on reflection, April is probably a bit much) since I haven't many words to my name on the main site and will be starting from scratch, but I'm fine with the "write anything" theme and the rating system, of course. If January 20th works for the rest of you, I won't try to contest it further. Thanks for the note, Ves; good to hear from you.
                        Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Well, this certainly makes things simpler. It looks good to me, Usoki -- now it's time to finally get this thing over with.

One last question: is anyone opposed to me submitting multiple entries? There's a fair chance I'll have two stories which meet length criteria before this is over, so I might as well get feedback on both.

Comment

As far as I know there's never been a restriction on multiple entries. Katie submitted two entries during the children's story contest and it was fine.

Submitting more than one story just increases your chances of winning.

Comment

I'm definitely ok with switching things up. I'll respect whatever decision is made.

It isn't likely that I will get much infinite writing done between now and Jan. 20. On the other hand, I might not get much written between now and April either...

This year I will probably participate mostly as a judge, so I'm looking forward to it no matter how the votes fall.

Anyway, I'm glad Ves weighed in. It is good to know she is still around and has good will for the lot of us.

~Katie
                              ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

End: Heh, I honestly don't think my chances are going to be great. I think people will like the writing in "Quelnine/The Rift", but it's nowhere near completion and it's very linear. I know how much you guys love linear stories.

The other one is kind of the polar opposite -- I don't think people are going to like the writing and it's infinite. I intentionally tried to make the style really barren and strange and dark, and I'm not controlling the plot at all. There is a brief scene where the main character comes upon some rotting heads that someone tried to stuff into a storm drain, though -- you might like that.

Katie: You should enter "Admitted"; it was a good story and it completely qualifies now. If you need to finish it, you can always try what I do: just close your eyes and hit the keys as fast as you can!

Instant story.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information