Facepunch Incident part 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facepunch Incident part 2?

So remember a while back when a group from the Facepunch forums started writing a bunch of crappy stories and then rating each other 10s on them? Well we might have another similar situation like that right now:

Pooky
    http://www.infinite-story.com/profile/?id=13224

Studlaff
    http://www.infinite-story.com/profile/?id=14137

Ksuballislife
    http://www.infinite-story.com/profile/?id=13261

Tjlinkfan
    http://www.infinite-story.com/profile/?id=14091

Lafenomenal
    http://www.infinite-story.com/profile/?id=14119

Carol
    http://www.infinite-story.com/profile/?id=14131

A quick glance through their profiles shows that they're all friends with each other and rating each other (and their own) stories 10s. Though it's not doing a lot of their crappy stories much good since most of those are under 20 pages and aren't showing up on the main site anyway.

Now if this all gets your blood boiling and you hear the sounds of war drums, be aware that if you do rate one of their stories low, (Like Mizal did) be prepared to get your own story rated low in retaliation by one of them. (Can't wait to see how she reacts to the new friend she's made!)

Haven't seen them do it to anyone who hasn't rated their stories yet though, so I'm guessing it's more of an oversensitivity issue rather than outright maliciousness. So if you take an apathetic approach (And hey it's always a valid option!) your stories will probably be fine.

But you know who else was left alone unchecked? That's right! That one guy! (And one of those guys is even from Germany! Coincidence? Perhaps not!)

Will they suddenly become more aggressive and deliberately start churning out more stories and rate others low to flood the top 20 with their crap?

Or will they like so many others get bored and just disappear after a few months?

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by End Master; 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Hold on a sec--why are people now able to rate their own stories? I'm sure the system used to give me a message something to the tune of, "You can't rate your own story, you approval-sucking sycophantic asshole." Or something like that.

I see that in addition to Mizal, my buddy Artazansss has also chimed in with some more reasonable ratings for these duds. He's Lithuanian, so he's not what you could call fuzzy or teddybearish. However, he is fair. Awhile back, he bombed Gurl PowR! so of course I wrote to him asking wh-wh-whyyyyyy? and he actually responded with an intelligent answer and even admitted to hitting the wrong button. Yes, he hated my story, but he didn't hate it that much. So he made it up to me. And now I see he's doing his duty by these new besmirchments.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesnic View Post
      Hold on a sec--why are people now able to rate their own stories? I'm sure the system used to give me a message something to the tune of, "You can't rate your own story, you approval-sucking sycophantic asshole." Or something like that.
      It's a throw back to the old days actually. In the past you could rate your own stories, but at some point when Sev was tinkering with the site he took away that ability. It's been re-implemented again.

It's one of those things I'm sort of neutral on mainly because usually when I see folks do it they're basically painting a target on their backs to get voted down anyway. (The universe balancing itself out and all that) About the only one who rates his own stories and manages to get away with it for the most part is DEP and even he used to get a few points knocked off by other people because of it. (Mainly by Jeff I think)

Comment

Actually my contest was already rated 10 by the charming donteatpoop fellow.
        The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
          Now if this all gets your blood boiling and you hear the sounds of war drums, be aware that if you do rate one of their stories low, (Like Mizal did) be prepared to get your own story rated low in retaliation by one of them. (Can't wait to see how she reacts to the new friend she's made!)
          Oh my God I hadn't even seen that, that is hilarious. But looking around I honestly think it may be the most in depth review Pooky's ever written though, at least 'your short preview of a story is too short' it beats 'Yayyyyyyyyyyyy" and "BEST. STORY. EVER." as far as actual useful feedback goes. Glad I could help him expand his widdle mind and improve a bit.

...seriously though if Sev is still hanging around after his miraculous and triumphant return we probably should suggest disabling the ability to rate your own stories. Or at least have the rating not count if for whatever reason someone still wants to do it.

I'll probably leave a comment on that one guy's story just to fuck with him a little but otherwise I don't see this as a huge deal, just annoying and in really poor taste. A couple of the stories are big enough by now to show up on the listings though and I guess if they keep dragging more friends and family members along to join the short bus club it could be an issue.

Comment

Candy Man already zapped one of their stories down as well and they can't really retaliate against him since he has no stories.

You know I briefly wondered if they were just too retarded to figure out the comments and ratings function, since two of them slammed each others stories in the comments section yet gave each other 10s anyway.

But then the one called "Pooky" complains that your story doesn't have enough description and is too short, yet it's A LOT longer than any of his own stories (along with his friends) which are basically made up of one sentence pages. Pretty much tells me he didn't read your story at all and just lashed out.

Comment

Pooky just sent me a message saying that my rating made him feel sad.

Originally posted by Pooky[/quote
              Ok. Hi. Nice to meetcha. When I posted the comment on your story, I was being sarcastic. I probably should have made some indication that I was being sarcastic, but I did not think of that at the time. But when you posted a comment on MY story, it made me feel sad. This was the second story I have ever written and I'll admit I am nowhere near being a professional at this. It was just for a project and it was just supposed to be things that can't really happen, obviously. But I should let you know that I did not mean to rate my story twice. It was a glitch. And saying at least one positive thing would make me feel happier. And really? Rating it half a star. HALF???!!!! I am sorry that I rated yours 1 star. Do you want me to re-rate it? But please, if you can, delete your comment on mine. I did not appreciate it. At all. And this is my message, sent from the heart. God bless you.

Sincerely, Pooky642
              And then another that made me laugh:

P.S. What's a circlejerk?
              Since he's apparently just an idiot, not an asshole, I feel my reply should be diplomatic, but that might just be my sweet little pony-avatar-having heart being dumb. What, in the forum's opinion, is the correct course of action here? (edit: and no I will not skin him alive with a rusty spoon, and I lack the proper, um, equipment for all that raping, so come up with another suggestion please. Really I can't afford airfare right now so anything involving direct murder is just no good--and no I'm not singling out End, at this point these kind of disclaimers go for all of you.)
              Last edited by mizal; 02-02-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

It makes me sort of sad that a person named Pooky is sad. It's like the teddy bears all ditched the picnic and went to a funeral instead.

That being said, his comment is full of what one might call crap.

Hurt feelings...hmmm...you can't tell someone that their feelings are right or wrong, but it seems that you were slightly provoked by Pooky's initial comments on your story, so...if your Little Pony is kicking you in the ribs, why don't you just leave a comment on his ratings explaining your reasons and saying "sorry there little feller", if you're so inclined.

Two observations:

Why is it that so many of these people seem to produce perfectly well-written private messages or even forum posts, yet can't be bothered to put in any effort when actually writing something story(ish)?

Poor Pooky doesn't seem to understand our rating system too well. Half a star? He does realize (and he should realize if he's done his own rating) that we work on a numerical system which merely translates to stars, yet that understanding is not apparent here.

Personally, it sort of bothers me when people call me out for being mean when what I have offered is (to my way of thinking at least) an honest and fair assessment of their work. If I say jerky things to them, that's different...but the Pookster seems to be implying that the rating itself was cruel and that's just, well that's just sort of...

crap.
                My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
                  Pooky just sent me a message saying that my rating made him feel sad.

I feel my reply should be diplomatic, but that might just be my sweet little pony-avatar-having heart being dumb. What, in the forum's opinion, is the correct course of action here?
                  As the old saying goes, his story was bad and he should feel bad, so if he got all upset at your comment oh well.

The fact he's cringing like a worm and begging for forgiveness would not sway me. On the contrary, it would merely confirm that one should move in for the kill. Plus this may just be an act for he's already gotten one of his buddies (Carol) to call you out in her last comment on that same story. (While giving him ten stars on it of course)

I think the proper course of action would be for you to rate the rest of his stories 1s and all of his buddies too! Show them that you are not the woman with whom to fuck with.

But I suppose if you want to do the whole forgiveness thing that's fine too I guess. You don't get as many experience points for it though, but it still might be just enough to level up.

EDIT: Well, looks like Carol's going on the attack. She's not only rated Mizal's story low (Said it was too long), but she rated Commie's story low too because he gave a low rank to one of her other buddies. Then she continued the circle jerk by rating a couple of them high.

Your duty seems clear Mizal, ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!
                  Last edited by End Master; 02-03-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  Do Not Sell My Personal Information