Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWT 10 - Voting

The Basics:

The Submission deadline is February 9th, 11:59 PM, Pacific Time. Post the link to your story in either thread. If you plan on voting, please declare your intent here. Voting will have a soft close on February 16th. If you want to vote but you'll need more than one week, post below and tell me to wait for your vote. I'll extend it until the 23rd for those people- perhaps even later. Voting will officially end once February 16th has passed, and once all voting extensions have been received. There will be no warning. If you want to vote but don't tell me, then it gets ignored.

Scoring will be on a 1 to 10 scale in these 4 categories:
    Writing Style
    Plot/Creativity
    Enjoyment
    Theme

Weigh one category that you think is the most important so it will count for double the points. The weighted category must be the same for all three stories. Doing this brings the point total to 50 points, which is a great number to work with.

PM your ratings to me and I'll calculate everything to see who the big winner is.

I will take all PMs over the main site, simply so that the message in question will appear on a larger frame than it would if sent by forum. Less steps to reach them, too. And let's not forget how easy it is to miss seeing PMs on the forum. If you don't send your vote over the main site PMs, prepare to receive SCORN. And for the love of God, send me all story votes/critiques in one PM. Don't spread them out.

The Stories:

Vesnicie: Long Hours, Endless Days

Usoki: Solipsism

BatCountry: The Prophet

Mizal: Saga of the Splintered Lands

Mizal needs to vote to get rid of SCORN. Ves, BatC, and I must also vote, or we will obtain SCORN.

Extended Category Definitions:

Plot/Creativity- This one is pretty self-explanatory. How was the plot? Did you understand what was going on? Did you see the ending from a mile away? Have you seen it all before, or did the story offer a new take on things?

Enjoyment- What did you think of the story? Did you like it? Was it too short? Too linear? Did you keep running into unwritten choices after two or three rooms?

Writing Style- Formerly the spelling and grammar category, it has been expanded to cover things like pacing, description, and dialogue. Did the story have a huge introduction sequence that dragged on for too long? Did you have a hard time following the plot because nothing was described? Did you get bored reading the story because it was written at a first grade reading level?

Theme- This category is solely devoted to the over-powered character or characters. What did you think? Were they too under-powered? Were they so overpowered that the story was boring? Did the over-powered character end up with a ridiculous handicap just to keep the story plausible?

In addition to these numerical ratings, you should provide a critque explaining why you voted the way you did. More is always better. At the very least, you should try and have at least one paragraph. Nobody like that guy who writes one unhelpful sentence and calls it good enough. I can't stop the guy who does that, but I can offer him SCORN.

You are strongly encouraged to read the entire story, all paths. If you cannot bring yourself to do that- the story is too bad, or too massive- make sure you mention that in your critique.
    Last edited by Usoki; 02-10-2014, 01:09 AM.
    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

It bears repeating- if you don't tell me in advance that you plan on voting, I'm not going to know to wait for your vote. I'd like to get the voting phase wrapped up as quickly as possible so that the torch can be passed along.
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.

Comment

Okay, someone has to be the first to come in here and ask for an extension because GOD KNOWS we can never meet any deadlines ever, and so it might as well be me.

I didn't actually bother reading anything yet and now it's 4 am and I'm working a LOT the next four days, I need a one week extension okay? Pretty please?

P.S. God also knows that this morning you drank straight from the milk carton, you picked your nose when you thought nobody was looking, you didn't tip your waiter last time you ate out and also there was that one time you murdered that hooker

Comment

My votes are in! *wipes brow* Phew! Managed to avoid both the SHAME and SCORN monsters, two furry little bastards who have run right off the cliff while trying to capture me.
        My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Honestly, the entire reason I put the deadline so early is so that people would pretty much have to post to ask for extensions, thus allowing me to know who would and would not be voting.

Comment

Yes I plan on voting and yes the 23rd would be a better date. I've only read one story so far.

Comment

Anyone else planning on voting? End? DEP? dreamshell?

Comment

continue to throw your selves in the sun.

you can suck it like a pro,

I will not do anything this year.

meningitis
                Last edited by Sponge.; 02-18-2014, 07:28 PM.
                soak it up

Comment

I don't understand why everyone but me is suffering from horrible illnesses or other medical problems all at once, but please get better soon.

Anyway as always I look forward to your posts, they are like beautiful freeform poetry. (written on a phone while drunk, exactly like t.s. eliot) I was hoping for the same with reviews.

Comment

This is still a thing. Don't forget to vote this weekend, so that we can wrap this sucker up.

Comment

We have till midnight Pacific time on this again, right?

otherwise I guess I better just start randomly assigning stars and typing whatever, hope you guys like getting the list of ingredients off this can of diet coke for your feedback

Comment

I'm hesitant to offer another round of extentions, but I'm also aware that we need as many votes as possible for a statistically meaningful result.

Here's what I'm going to do- once I receive two more votes, I will post in the forum. You will have 24 hours from that forum post, after which point the contest is closed. That's enough votes for everyone in the competition to avoid SCORN. But there's also the risk that someone else will vote, and you'll be 24 hours away from SCORN. Take that as you will.

Comment

My votes are in homies. Just the contest entrants are voting? Lame sauce.

Comment

Is this fucking thing OVER yet? Waiting for this contest to end has felt just like sitting around the bedside of a terminally sick relative wishing the other family members would just walk away and stop looking so weepy and prayerful so I could just PULL THE FUCKING PLUG ALREADY.

Seriously, let's move on with life. As my grandmother always said (before she died in a comparatively considerate, short-term fashion), "Shit, get off the can, or fucking JUMP OFF A CLIFF! *Spit* *Spit*"
                            My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

She sounds like a lovely woman Ves. The world is a darker place without her.

Speaking of dark places, it could be possible that Usoki is dead, right? Do we have any contingency plans set in place in the event of the untimely demise of one of our own brethren? Poor Usoki...He was so young.

Bets on how he kicked the bucket? I say heroin binge with Thai hookers. After he bit the dust, they cut him up and sold the organs on the black market. Someone search eBay for Usoki's kidneys!

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information