Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hall of SHAME 4: The SHAME that wouldn't DIE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of SHAME 4: The SHAME that wouldn't DIE!

It's that time again! Time to post the names of those SHAMED this year along with those that are still SHAMED from past contests!

Apotheosis (IWT10)
    Cat2000 (IWT9)
    ChubbyTeletubby (IWT8)
    Crunchyfrog (IWT8)
    Donteatpoop (IWT9)
    Dreamshell (IWT8)
    Filipinofreddy (IWT9)
    King Malice (IWT7)
    Locke (IWT7)
    Playa988 (IWT9)
    Sansevieria (IWT9)
    Smeester (IWT7)
    Spartan (IWT7)
    Tim2000 (IWT8)

Besides dreamshell who continues to be on the wall of SHAME, only one new name added this year. Apoth was apparently unable to give us another Mudkip masterpiece like he did last time. Oh well I guess he had better things to do.

And as usual Mizal was once again unable to escape the pit of SCORN despite the fact that several ladders were handed down to her. I suppose there's just no helping some people that don't want to be helped and enjoy wallowing in their own self loathing!

Mizal (IWT8)

That's it for this year! Will any of these people ever redeem themselves in the future? Probably not, but anything is possible!
    Last edited by End Master; 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Hall of Shame 4? 4 shame! 4 shame!

(Sorry, that was lame lame.)
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

All the people listed here disgust and infuriate me. TRULY you ALL should feel horrible gut wrenching SHAME! Such raw talent wasted, such apathy, such a penchant for SLOTH! I really have no idea how any of your mothers bore you. Desperate back alley coat hangar scrambled abortions should have been the end result of the lot of you people! I spit upon your faces and shall spit upon ALL of your graves unless you can muster up the ability to REDEEM yourselves! Just pathetic...

Just trying to up the shame here folks. If it's a shame pit we really should shame them. Specifically and cruelly. Maybe then they will mend their abominable behaviors.

Comment

I actually had an idea I was really excited about for like a week... but it was way too ambitious/ I have a new job and girlfriend/ read the first five books of A Song of Ice and Fire and am working my way through the Wheel of Time.

But yes, shame away. I deserve it, I will self-flagellate every fortnight from here on out to remember my sin.
        Click it now.

Comment

How does Wheel of Time stack up against ASOIAF? Is it worth getting into?
          Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Here's a review I wrote on Wheel of Time. (I don't recommend it)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/sho...w_action=false

If you're hoping for something that is anything at all ike ASOIAF, just don't read it. If you're looking for some light-and-fluffy fantasy; have at it. Personally, it's the type of shit I hate about fantasy writing... Just so overdone.

If you're looking for something gritty and satisfying I recommend Joe Abercombie.
            Last edited by donteatpoop; 03-25-2014, 03:40 PM.
            The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I agree you will be incredibly let down if you compare WOT to ASOIAF. It basically capitalizes on every single fantasy cliche you can imagine. The characters are flat and uninspired and little more than vehicles for the aforementioned cliches. Despite this though I'm still enjoying the series thus-far (I've only read 2 books at this point).
              Click it now.

Comment

^^For some reason the only fantasy I can bring myself to read anymore is the stuff I used to enjoy years ago. Tolkien and an embarrassing number of kid books, mostly...The Last Unicorn, Chronicles of Narnia, Chronicles of Prydain, the Pit Dragon Chronicles (fantasy authors fucking love the word chronicles. chronicles chronicles chronicles...it's fun to say I guess?) And recently I reread one of my old favorites, the Hero and the Crown... I should probably buy a nice hardcover to look pretty on my shelf. But I don't know if at some point I've just soured on fantasy in general, or there's something about more modern fantasy that ticks me off on a subconscious level or what...weirdly enough 90% of the time it's still what I get the urge to write. And either way I mostly read historical stuff now and feel so, so old.

Anyway, SCORN isn't so bad, I can still feel smug that I'm better than all those people on the SHAME list anyway.

This is literally the first time I've been to the site since my last post on, um, February 10th, looks like...though honestly if the stories took a year to write I think 4 months or so to review them seems perfectly reasonable!
                Last edited by mizal; 03-28-2014, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Tolkien and an embarrassing number of kid books, mostly...The Last Unicorn, Chronicles of Narnia, Chronicles of Prydain, the Pit Dragon Chronicles
                  I'd forgotten Prydain. I read most of it in the kids' section of a musty military library - they never acquired the last book, ("The High King") though.

The Neverending Story was probably my favorite. I found the Shannara books captivating (it's hard to go back and read those now), and the Recluce saga helped form my sense of ethics.

I'll still read Garth Nix novels as they come out. They're like impressionist paintings - the prose isn't always there, but there are such vivid and otherworldly images.

A lot of modern fantasy has sort of sublimated into "speculative fiction" (but you can still call it "sf"!)

They're mostly on the "science" side of things, but Ted Chiang, Ted Kosmatka, and Greg Egan are excellent.

weirdly enough 90% of the time it's still what I get the urge to write.
                  I agree. There's a freedom to create that's absent with "literary" or realistic fiction. You can throw out the rulebook. On the other hand, you can't rely on history - in a sense, you have to build your own world. And people have to accept it.

That's why Tolkien is admirable.

One of the languages he composed - Sindarin - was strongly considered as an international language. You can still find it in music; Youtube it.
                  Last edited by Locke; 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Oh wow, somehow I'd forgotten about the Neverending Story. I used to have such a nice hardback copy of it too, but it got water damaged pretty bad and I had to toss it. I really need to replace it one of these days.

I'll have to check out Garth Nix as well, the Old Kingdom series looks pretty interesting. And it looks like there are a lot of Recluce novels...is the whole series good, or does it go off the rails at some point like so many of them do? That may be one more reason I don't read fantasy much anymore...a trilogy or God forbid, a self-contained story just isn't good enough anymore, you have to have fifteen or twenty books in a series, and it usually becomes painfully obvious at some point the author is bored and just cranking them out for a paycheck.

Oh, and I remember reading a couple of Shannara books back in the day...are they really that bad in hindsight? I hate when that happens.

Anyway, since it's apparently all under the umbrella of 'speculative fiction' now, I suppose that makes my Ray Bradbury collection easier to classify. He always did blur the line between sci-fi and fantasy pretty heavily, though I swear some of his stuff is more like poetry than prose. Good, I now have work by a classic sf novelist on my shelf to balance out all the fucking Animorphs and talking rodents.

Comment

Never read The Neverending Story, but I grew up with the movies as a kid (fuck that third one, though. Hard.).

Originally posted by mizal View Post
                      though I swear some of his stuff is more like poetry than prose.
                      I always thought so, which is why he's one of my favorites. I enjoy the likes of Clark Ashton Smith, Neil Gaiman, GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss for much the same reason. The quality of the writing itself is always a key factor as to whether or not I'll enjoy something. Though Asimov's Robot trilogy gets a pass.

Also - yay, Animorphs!

Comment

And it looks like there are a lot of Recluce novels...is the whole series good, or does it go off the rails at some point like so many of them do?
                        If you like one of them, you'll probably like the rest. The last couple felt a little stale to me, but that has as much to do with me getting pickier about writing style as Modesitt revisiting the same concepts. At one point - up until a few years ago - I did enjoy them, though. There are four books in the series that cover the same set of events from two different perspectives, like Ender's Shadow, but I think Modesitt pulls it off better.

Oh, and I remember reading a couple of Shannara books back in the day...are they really that bad in hindsight?
                        I think so. Again, I've become really picky with regard to prose/writing style/"word smithing," but I think you'd probably agree.

Also - yay, Animorphs!
                        I never finished reading the series, and wound up staying with a friend a few years ago whose brother was reading it. Started reading through one at some point that night, which was sad, because they really weren't what I remembered.

Neil Gaiman
                        I read a book of shorts by Gaiman called "Fragile Things" last year. Strange stuff (apparently he wrote an episode of "Doctor Who" at some point, which sort of fits). Anyway, the writing was good, some of the stories were good. I think they were all kind of downers, though. I remember thinking it made depressing reading, and I haven't read his work since. I did like this one, though.

I got it from this site, which holds more decent SF than you could reasonably want.

Comment

Originally posted by Locke View Post
                          I never finished reading the series, and wound up staying with a friend a few years ago whose brother was reading it. Started reading through one at some point that night, which was sad, because they really weren't what I remembered.
                          Yeah, sadly the writing itself didn't age too well, but I came across several in mint condition at a library sale for like .50 cents each a couple years back and grabbed them all for nostalgia's sake. Though even if 'OMG aliens and kids turning into animals how cool is that!!!' doesn't do much for me anymore they tackled some pretty serious themes compared to similar books for kids in that age range, and I thought the way the author actually ended the series was pretty ballsy. I'll probably give them to one of my co-workers for her kids at some point.

And I just remembered that at that same sale I picked up a similarly perfect condition copy of Interstellar Pig by William Sleator.

I've actually yet to reread that one and I'm kind of reluctant too...what if it's not very good and ruins my childhood forever?

Comment

Oh man, I used to love the Animorphs! I really just did it for the morphing flipbook thingy though. It took awhile to get me on that whole "reading" bandwagon as such pursuits were generally frowned upon by my fellow gypsies when we went out hunting for some good ole' iron slag to melt down into collectible figurines.

But seriously, and bearing in mind this is TOTALLY THE WRONG THREAD (sorry, somebody had to say it), can you please despoil me and tell me the ending of the Animorphs? I just never got that far, and I'm not feeling nearly as nostalgic as the rest of you. Of course you should include the usual Spoiler Alert Defcon 5000 system for anyone stuck in a 90's time warp. So obliged.
                            My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

There's actually a fairly detailed Wikipedia article, though having quickly skimmed it it seems less 'ballsy' and more 'over the top ridiculous', but at least she thoroughly wrapped that shit up instead of either going on forever and ever milking the series for money or finding some cop out way to reset everything to the status quo the way a lot of authors would have.

P.S. Read the article on your smart phone. If you do not have a smart phone, you're probably stuck in a 90s time warp and should get that sorted out immediately.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information