Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iwt xii

Already? But the last one just ended!

Yes, yes. I know. Listen, I wanted to give everyone as much time as possible to squander their time and procrastinate on their stories.

Deadline: October 1st, 2015. Why so soon? It's like 6 months away. How is that too soon? Besides, we all know it's going to be pushed back.

Theme: Betrayal. A betrayal must occur in your story.

There you have it. Questions? Comments? Concerns? Post them below. Hey, I might even listen to some of them, who knows? Post gripes below.
    Last edited by donteatpoop; 03-22-2015, 10:56 AM.
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

So basically turn the Scottish play into an IS? I guess I can do that. Still feels a bit grab-baggy, like I really don't see what the problem is with having a single theme, but at least the theme(s) plural are interesting. October 1 is completely insane, but at least you know the future bitching and griping and moaning you're in for and seem already set to yield to it, which is very obliging of you.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Huh... The story I started just over a month ago could actually realistically fit at least one of those themes. And it has a whole lot of rooms so far, even if the story itself isn't majorly long.

So... I'm in; and am cheating in that I already have a story started. But it was started this year, so I think it still fulfills requirements. (Since there's no way I'll be able to switch focus).

Comment

Ves, I agree with you. I tried to avoid this but talked myself into it. It's a skimpy grab bag if it's a grab bag. Three general plot device themes. So nyah.

Cat, you're not supposed to tell us when you are cheating. That is not an effective cheating strategy.
        Last edited by donteatpoop; 03-16-2015, 08:19 PM.

Comment

So...What do we even call this years competition? It's so open ended I can't even think of what to call it besides IWT 12.

Infinite Writing Tournament 12: The Rebellious Betrayal of Destiny?

Comment

Well, I figured this way, at least if I suddenly lose interest/momentum/go after the new shiny story... I have something to enter, since I've been so awful at actually entering the competitions.

Now if I can only figure out how to keep all of the different variables straight...

And, Bat, why not just go for:

Infinite Writing Tournament 12: Rebellion. Betrayal. Destiny.

Comment

I... am uncertain how one could possibly write a story that doesn't contain these things.

Well, whatever. If I get inspired, I'll give it a go.
              Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
              Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
              And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Usoki View Post
                I... am uncertain how one could possibly write a story that doesn't contain these things.
                "A long time ago, the King of Placeyland feared an insurrection was at hand when some of his most powerful lords convened and demanded better terms from their monarch on threat of war. More so, he worried his chief adviser and younger brother, Hunchback Willie, would double-cross him for a shot at the throne. And further still, a seer had many ages past prophesied that the doom of the kingdom would befall the ruler who saw civil war engulf his nation...

Luckily, Hunchback Willie was thoroughly loyal to his elder sibling and an excellent diplomat besides. He gathered the uppity lords together and they had a very productive jam session, with Willie's mighty hump serving as a table for tea and crumpets. Everyone was able to hash things out peacefully and reach an agreement. To honor him, the King made Hunchback Willie an honorary piece of royal furnishing, whose bones eventually ended up on display for tourists to gawk at and steal snapshots of on their smartphones many centuries later.

The End."

There. I think that qualifies.

Comment

If I had to narrow the themes to just one, which do you think would be the best one to go with?

I'm not saying that I will narrow it down to one, but if I did which one do you think it should be?

Comment

Destiny seems like it would have the most potential for story variety.
                    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

If you narrow it down, I would prefer rebellion.

I do however believe that EndMaster is correct. Destiny has the best potential for story variety.

Personally I think you should narrow the contest down somehow. Maybe not necessarily nixing two of the other themes, but something that wouldn't make the contest so broad in scope. How it is now, it makes the theme category for rating nearly a non factor.

I'm not exactly sure how you can do that, but I'm sure you will think of a way. If you want to that is.

The "destiny" must lead to a characters death or demise in some way.

"Betrayal" must first be believed to be a joke or farce.

The "rebellion" must involve a secret handshake or code word for members.

Those ideas are terrible, but maybe they will spark something within your poop stained mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamshell View Post
                        "A long time ago, the King of Placeyland feared an insurrection was at hand when some of his most powerful lords convened and demanded better terms from their monarch on threat of war. More so, he worried his chief adviser and younger brother, Hunchback Willie, would double-cross him for a shot at the throne. And further still, a seer had many ages past prophesied that the doom of the kingdom would befall the ruler who saw civil war engulf his nation...

Luckily, Hunchback Willie was thoroughly loyal to his elder sibling and an excellent diplomat besides. He gathered the uppity lords together and they had a very productive jam session, with Willie's mighty hump serving as a table for tea and crumpets. Everyone was able to hash things out peacefully and reach an agreement. To honor him, the King made Hunchback Willie an honorary piece of royal furnishing, whose bones eventually ended up on display for tourists to gawk at and steal snapshots of on their smartphones many centuries later.

The End."

There. I think that qualifies.

I think the tales of Hunchback Willie need to be told. You will get a 0/10 for theme, if the contest stands as it is now. Yet perhaps there are more layers to hunchback Willie that we haven't explored yet. Perhaps while being used as a table he fiddles with his sibling's wife's naughty bits, sparking outrage.

Sorry. Hunchback Willie just sounds like a pervert.

Comment

Ah, but dreamshell, your story still contains a theme of rebellion, even though the rebellion itself never happens.

Destiny has the most variety... but I think betrayal would make for the most interesting stories. Especially if the betrayal had to be caused by a main/secondary character, and had to happen during the story itself. As in, not a flashback or an event prior to the narrative starting. Then again, that's the sort of restriction that kills participation.
                          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

]Especially if the betrayal had to be caused by a main/secondary character, and had to happen during the story itself. As in, not a flashback or an event prior to the narrative starting. Then again, that's the sort of restriction that kills participation.
                            That sounds fine and not restricting at all. It sounds like an actual theme.

If the simple requirement of making the theme happen in the story rather than before it is just too much to bear, then the contest will really have become pointless anyway. If people have become such unbelievably whiny cunts that they can't stomach a very broad theme with a very forgiving parameter, then why do they fucking bother at all? The contests that have been wide open and directionless haven't exactly seen a great surge in participation. It has more to do with other, unrelated factors.

So if we're going to have a themed contest, then let's do just that. The whingers can go fuck themselves.
                            My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Originally posted by BatCountry View Post
                              I think the tales of Hunchback Willie need to be told. You will get a 0/10 for theme, if the contest stands as it is now. Yet perhaps there are more layers to hunchback Willie that we haven't explored yet. Perhaps while being used as a table he fiddles with his sibling's wife's naughty bits, sparking outrage.

Sorry. Hunchback Willie just sounds like a pervert.
                              Unfortunately, friend, Hunchback Willie's secret shame is that he is interminably impotent. Also gay.

Ah, but dreamshell, your story still contains a theme of rebellion, even though the rebellion itself never happens.
                              Curses! Foiled again.

Destiny has the most variety... but I think betrayal would make for the most interesting stories.
                              This was my thought also. But hey, not like I ever actually participate in these things.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information