Story Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Variables

Story variables are an idea I've had for awhile. The concept is the author could create a variable that could be used in a story with a default value.

For instance, "name" - you set the default to Bob and then can use it in the story as [name]. Before the story starts, the user could input his own variable values. I feel like this feature would be used in a lot of ways I have not even considered. It would allow the user to customize the story.

What sort of variables exactly?
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

I currently can't respond to two of your threads. There's no reply box and hitting "quote" does nothing. A glitch, I guess.

Just one very big gripe:

Do we seriously need a "Like" button? We're writers. That's what we use our words for, to tell the person, in substantive and qualifying language, what we thought of their masterpiece or their POS or anything in between. This isn't Facebook or YouTube or the Daily Mail; it's people talking to people on a much smaller and more mentally engaging scale-- so can we please please PLEASE nip that particular trend in the bud? At the very least, if the gamut of my emotions is going to be reduced to monkey-happy or monkey-mad, then at least give me a thumbs-down button to play with too. But in all seriousness, please just take it away. Not all trends are worth following and I think we're smart enough around here to do without this particular one.

Comment

Send me links to the threads you can't reply to.

Yeah, there are a lot of features in this forum software that I am trying to disable.

As for the variables, the "name" was an example. Imagine a placeholder - or think like a mad lib - again, I have a feeling folks would use this in ways I had not thought of.

The idea is the reader could override the default values to customize the story more. The writer would use these variables in their story.

Comment

Originally posted by severenz View Post
          Send me links to the threads you can't reply to.
          These two:

http://forums.infinite-story.com/for...tware-upgraded
          http://forums.infinite-story.com/for...f-site-is-live

Comment

So similar to the CYS system? How advanced are you thinking of getting?

CYS has simple IF THEN ELSE statements and variables you can define, plus some basic on page scripting dependent on the variables. If IS had anything like that it would be a lot more appealing IMO. I've never done anything too advanced, but it's hard to go back to just basic rooms with links once you're used to certain conveniences. Something as simple as taking the player to different pages later in a story based on a previous choice, or being able to alter a couple lines of text based on a variable saves sooo much time and let's you avoid all the filler pages where you're copy and pasting big chunks of the story twice with just minor variations.

Comment

Working...
            Do Not Sell My Personal Information