Featured Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Featured Stories

I intend to present the contest winning stories on the home page. Are there other stories that should be featured?

My concern is that the stories we are showing on the home page might not be the best to highlight.

Thoughts on the current assortment that is shown?

Are there other ways of browsing stories that should be offered?

This topic has been raised several times and I think there are some very comprehensive lists around the forums back when we were trying to gain everybody's input on their favorite stories or stories they thought were under-recognized, etc., and we came up with quite a few. I'll see if I can hunt it down.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

I think “Popular stories” should probably be replaced by “highest ranking, since popularity is currently only based on how many clicks a story got and isn’t really an indication of quality. (Like Wild Night for example)

Of course the problem with highest ranking is then you’ll get a few stories that someone probably rated a 10 and had a couple of buddies also rate a 10 and the story could still be crap.

Maybe some sort of randomizer of stories that only have a ranking of 8 to 10? That way you get a mix of stories that are certainly worthy of being featured on the front page and they get rotated.
      Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Vesnic, please find that list if you can. That's one reason why I suggested the IWT winners as that involved votes from heavy users.

I'd have to dig up the algorithm for popular - but I think it takes ratings and hits into consideration. The problem there is that larger stories will undoubtedly have more hits. And the problem with ratings is that if a story doesn't have many ratings, it's worth is not as high.

Comment

Originally posted by severenz View Post
          Vesnic, please find that list if you can.
          I'm on it, Sev. I'll be away for a couple of days, but I'll do a thorough comb-through when I get back.

Comment

Might be worth having a 'recommended stories' list; glean our users for suggestions.
            The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

It seems strange not having new stories on the main page at all though. They all suffer from a serious case of being ignored and not receiving any comments as it is, it's got to be even more discouraging to potential new authors for their stuff to be shoved completely out of sight.

Clicking 'Newest' doesn't even sort them by date. The first on the list was put up in 2003 and last added to in 2008.

Comment

Fixed the preset links on home page to work with the new browsing engine.

Comment

I like the new setup of the homepage, with Featured Stories readily clickable, followed by links to other criteria on the bottom. It seems like a good list to be getting on with, and once a reader likes someone's stuff, they can always dig deeper.

I'm sorry it took me forever, but a few other suggestions had once been made on the "dnewton is a punkass bitch" thread. Your list is more up-to-date, however.

Thanks for all your hard work, Sev.

Comment

Working...
                  Do Not Sell My Personal Information