Items feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Items feature

I've been asked for game features over the years and the most common has been Items. I checked out how CYS does them and at first glance, it seems extremely complicated to use. Do any of you use items in your stories? Do you think there is an easier way of offering items or a way to simplify the UI?

While I'd like to add power and features to IS I always want to be mindful of the user experience and interface. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

I don't use it, but from what I've heard from others is that the item feature on CYS isn't all that great.

In recent years the general consensus of the more active users is that it over complicates things and just using the regular variables and coding works better.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Items annoy me. Mostly just the way they're displayed, they're extremely ugly and like most things on CYS, not designed with mobile users in mind.

Like End said, variables can track whether an item is carried just as well as they can do anything else, and the actual item system seems more popular with extremely new users who don't actually know what they're doing. (and half the time don't even think to do anything with them except having them just sort of, exist. You have to code in whether the game actually checks for them at any point or not, which is another thing easier to do just with toggling a variable.)

Comment

But while the option to use variables is a cool and good thing I'd definitely never say no to, Endmaster's stories prove they're not necessary for an epic, and the lack of them does kind of force true branching. ( And we're all aware of the dark side of too much reliance on variables, aka linear stories with automated pronoun swapping and every choice boiling down to whether you picked Str/Int/Cha in the beginning....)

Really, if there was only one quality of life change made to the editor, I'd just want it to be a list of all created pages easily available with both their titles and IDs. I know there's both loose ends and history but neither quite does the job, and navigating a story to find a specific page can be a pain.

Comment

On the room selection issue - I can easily add a drop down with Nickname and ID. That would eliminate the need for the autocomplete / partial search functionality. Anyone else second that request?

I would probably sort by nickname alphabetically vs ID.

Comment

Originally posted by severenz View Post
            On the room selection issue - I can easily add a drop down with Nickname and ID. That would eliminate the need for the autocomplete / partial search functionality. Anyone else second that request?
            This would've been super useful to have while writing the contest story. I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChef View Post

This would've been super useful to have while writing the contest story. I'm all for it.
              And now we have it. This man works fast.

Comment

Working...
              Do Not Sell My Personal Information