Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Server Upgrade in a nutshell... And we need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Server Upgrade in a nutshell... And we need help.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the server has been upgraded. Yay! I don't know much about servers and what the upgrade entails, but severenz was kind enough to break it down into very simple terms for me:

Easier. Better. Faster. Stronger. So only one line away from a Daft Punk jam.

As I'm sure all of you know, big time mega super server upgrades don't come cheap. Infinite-story needs your help. Whether you write, read, or just lurk all creepy-like in the forums; you can help in maintaining site costs!

If you have and dollars you can sling in severenz's direction it would be greatly appreciated. Paypal it over or send it by mail if you need to (contact severenz for a mailing address). Link below for paypal - AND - if you shop on amazon use the link from below to launch amazon because infinite-story gets a small cut.

http://www.infinite-story.com/support.php

Thanks everyone!
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Ok. Done. Sorry it couldn't be more. I'm still holding back on the potential funeral costs.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

I will temporarily cease to be poor as soon as I get my tax return, I'll try to donate something then.

Even though I'm still mad about that dumb 'webpage cannot be found' box that just sits there and annoys me anytime I try to browse.

sev if I give you money it means I basically own you, that's just how the internet works so can you do something about that please

Comment

Er, I hate to be the old square here, but chucking a few dollars Sev's way once or twice in the years you spend on IS in no way means you own him. They're not just waxing poetic when they say it's expensive to maintain a site and to upgrade it. Maybe if we were all dues-paying members, then you could say something like, "I am a dues paying member and I demand redress!" My dad tries that shit all the time in his condo association, which he pays for, and it doesn't even work then. And the other alternative, shudder to think of it, imagine what IS would be like just absolutely festooned with weird advertisements so you would no longer be able to see the writing for all those weird anime girls with the invisible waists jumping up and saying they want to play, but ONLY with you. Yikes!

Comment

Mizal, are you still getting that error? I haven't seen it since the server upgrade.
          The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I'll see what I can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesnic View Post
              Er, I hate to be the old square here, but chucking a few dollars Sev's way once or twice in the years you spend on IS in no way means you own him.
              Wow, you are old. I bet you've never even used Kickstarter. I mean, what's even the point of giving money to anyone online if you can't then go to their forums and shriek endlessly about how it's like you're a shareholder in their company now and then start a thread about how you've been betrayed and demand a refund every time they do something you don't like?

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
                Wow, you are old. I bet you've never even used Kickstarter. I mean, what's even the point of giving money to anyone online if you can't then go to their forums and shriek endlessly about how it's like you're a shareholder in their company now and then start a thread about how you've been betrayed and demand a refund every time they do something you don't like?
                Well, to answer a flippant question somewhat seriously, I think the "point" of giving money to someone online can be summed up with "trust and accountability". I give to IS because I trust Sev and know that he's done good work in the past and has his heart in it, even when he's otherwise occupied or, you know, when shit happens, as it sometimes does in the lives of us who are, as you say, "old".

I'm not a big fan of Kickstarter. I think it's too often abused by people who really don't need the help. On the other side, art by committee has always seemed like a pretty terrible idea to me. You know how the worst-written movies tend to be the ones with the greatest number of contributing writers? I think too many cooks really do spoil the sauce.

Even in times when individual families or patrons were responsible for the furthering of artists' careers, the most successful partnerships happened when there were less cutesy portraits of the count's dog wearing an Elizabethan collar and more room allotted the artist to just do his thing. Again, trust and accountability. The artist has shown he or she has talent, and the money is given in the hopes of furthering that talent, which in turn becomes a legacy passed on to the future.

I gave a small donation to Infinite with similar hopes in mind, that it will continue to grow and stay true to its mission of giving aspiring writers a platform for writing story-focused second-person fiction. Niggling over little details seems to defeat the purpose of generosity.

I would of course hope to see my ideas taken into consideration, but I would have this same hope even if I weren't a contributing member.

Comment

Hi guys - the server upgrade is a huge benefit and I covered those costs myself. My monthly hosting costs also went up. However, all I'm trying to get covered is the forum software upgrade. Right now I think we are 2 major versions behind which means big security risk to my server. A complete upgrade which includes all of the mobile suite apps and support is around $300. Thanks to anyone who can chip in. Sorry if I haven't been on the site more but it is still my baby I assure you.

Comment

What happened to visitor messages and friends on the user profiles in the forum? I had notes from other users, some of them from all the way back to '07, that I'd really like to see again.

Comment

Working...
                    Do Not Sell My Personal Information