So NaNoWriMo....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So NaNoWriMo....

I am thinking I will actually do it this year. 50,000 words is a great way to procrastinate real work. Shit, that's 2000 words a day if I take five days off. I'm trying to decide between a couple of plot ideas. Vote on what you think I should write about.
    -Journal of an Immortal Hermit who becomes the ruler of a massive empire
    18.18%
    -A bunch of guys sit down at a bar and talk about politics (rip off of the republic but insane)
    9.09%
    -Zombies Invade....
    9.09%
    -A guy is stranded in the desert and finds a cactus that teleports him to a drugstore
    45.45%
    -An insane serial killer kills a lot of people.... in all different creative ways
    0.00%
    -A colony of ants expands and grows and defeats other insects
    0.00%
    -Starcraft fan-fiction
    9.09%
    -MUDKIP!!!!
    9.09%
    Click it now.

I think you should turn your NaNoblahblah idea and turn it into a "from Hell" entry and take a real shot at the contest this year. That's procrastination stuck into an EVEN SMALLER TIME SLOT! The real challenge is right here!

(I'm trying, guys. I'm trying.)
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

My entry has been submitted already to the From Hell contest.
      Click it now.

Comment

Zombies are always good, but my second choice would have been Starcraft FanFic. Whatever you write about will be good.
        Hemroids are forever.

Comment

You had all year to do our little contest and you only got 166 words down. Now you're expecting to do 50,000 words in a month?

Well if you insist…

Your best one for weirdness and a good story is probably the desert drugstore. But I would change the cactus with a magic whistle.
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

I hope you have some ideas as to what happens at the fucking drug store.

I'm doing a huge expansion on "A new shade of blue" (see FSC thread)
            The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

The "Republic ripoff" seems the one with the least possibility for being awful, with the immortal hermit a somewhat distant second.
              Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Well, yes...but NaNoWriMo is based on quantity, not quality. So, it doesn't matter what Apoth actually writes about, as long as he's able to ramble. And...

...I've been waiting almost a year to post this link.
                Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

should be a sane rip off of the republic

Comment

Tough to do considering how insane the Republic is. Just got done reading that for class, and my question was, What was Plato Smoking?

It was probably the most impractical Utopia I've ever heard pitched.
                    Click it now.

Comment

Starcraft Fan fic or Hermit.

I voted Starcraft but I regret it.
                      How we paid such close attention
                      To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

How far are you so far, Apoth? I'm at 6,195 words and coming up on the close of Chapter 2.

Comment

I'm already falling way behind, and won't have time to catch up until Friday.

Not broken up into chapters. My entire story is a time line written by an uninvolved omniscient observer. There has so far been no dialog and virtually no description.

It's sort of an experimental piece, stripping away at what conventionally makes a story a story.

Edit: And I ended up doing the first option (so I basically ignored this vote) but I modified it a great deal. The protagonist is not an immortal hermit, but instead a sort of idiot-savant who becomes possessed by an extra planar being.

So far the story has covered 22 years of his life. The real plot has not begun, this is all background leading up to it.
                          Click it now.

Comment

Originally posted by apotheosis View Post
                            I'm already falling way behind, and won't have time to catch up until Friday.

You're going to need to do 1,909 words every day for rest of the month (including today) to catch up.

I'm down to 1,820 words a day. I was worse off before yesterday, but I was on fire last night and popped out 2,183 words. It was awesome. So far today I have put together 191 words... I need to get moving. (6,327 words so far)

Comment

Classes are tough right now, I've got two exams on thursday, a big paper due monday. One of the exams is on an insane amount of biology material that I just started studying... courses are very difficulty here.

Furthermore, Saturday I start drinking at 8am and don't stop until Sunday morning (It's Homecoming and ESPN is broadcasting my college nationwide for game day)

Suffice to say, there isn't much productivity in the near future. Maybe I can hammer out a couple hundred words here and there, but overall I'm going to need to have several 5k word spurts later on to compensate.

I'm not out of the game yet...
                              Click it now.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information