Someone inspire me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone inspire me...

... I have terrible writers' block. Any ideas on how to get out of it?

Smoke some ganja and take a hike in the forest.

Seems to work for me.

Comment

They don't always work, but I think they help.

1) try a new writing format. Here are the main formats that I have tried, I tend to bounce between them when I get tired of a style: Novels, Short Stories, Poetry, Screenplays, Interactive. I really recommend interactive as it is a completely different style of writing. (infinite-story.com if you are interested). (<-- lol, I guess that that is proof that I copy/pasted this suggestion from what I gave someone else on another writing site)

2) try altering your mindstate. Drink a little alcohol (or other friendly substances) and brainstorm on that buzz. When you're sober again, build upon those ideas.

3) write the outline first. If you get stuck on a particular spot, just outline that part and move onto somethign that you have more of a grasp on; you can come back to the outline and add details later.

4) Switch from keyboard to pen and paper, or vice versa. The notebook allows you to go sit on a log in those woods and write away.

5) Music. Sometimes it helps. Don't grab something new, as you'll be paying it too much attention; grab something you've heard ten brazillian times, and play it in the background.

6) mini-writing excercises. Get a few topics that are provided by someone OTHER THAN YOU and write a few hundred words on those topics. It'll keep you active and developing while you are struggling with making headway on the other writing. Various "What if..." topics tend to work nicely. Feel free to message me if you'd like some help with the 'excercises', I like coming up with writing topics.

7)Stop writing for a little while. I know this sounds extreme, but go out in the woods behind your little shack and LIVE. Experience in the real world (that you don't seem to believe in) gives you a lot of new topics to write on. Go meet some strangers, make an ass of yourself. Pick up whatever you were working on a few days later and see what happens.

Good luck. Hopefully one of these will help you.
      The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Ya. What he said. Or you can just smoke some ganja in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by donteatpoop View Post

7)Stop writing for a little while. I know this sounds extreme, but go out in the woods behind your little shack and LIVE. Experience in the real world (that you don't seem to believe in) gives you a lot of new topics to write on.
          Where did Cat say she didn’t believe in the real world? Or was that another bit that got caught up in the copy and paste process?
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Having just recently smoked ganja in the woods, I can attest, at least for me personally, that it did absolutely nothing for my writing ability. Quite on the contrary. My altered state of mind made me do things in a way that turned out to be aggravating and consequently put me in a bad mood for the next three days.
            Last edited by Vesnic; 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM.
            My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Well no one was even talking to you, Ves. Shhhhhh. No, no. Just shhhh.

We weren't talking about enhancing ability, we were talking about INSPIRATION.

Why don't you do us all a big favor and keep your opinions to yourself. Thanks. No. Shhhh it. Shhh it. No, no. Shhhhh.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions ^^. (Don't think I'll try the smoking one, though... o.o). It's been quite hot here as well, so that could be one of the reasons behind the lack of inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
                  Where did Cat say she didn’t believe in the real world? Or was that another bit that got caught up in the copy and paste process?
                  Uh... yeah. Woops.
                  The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I generally stop writing for a few weeks during blocks. Nowadays I seem to be getting blocks rather frequently so my output has gotten very sporadic. And DEP's suggestion about the writing medium is very true. I switch between the keyboard and pen and paper during blocks. I've noticed it helps.
                    Devils are the bagel's favourite breakfast food!

Comment

Working...
                    Do Not Sell My Personal Information