Writing Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing Rant

This is my little rant for the night. I don't think I've done one for a while here.

So I'm finding that I just can't exist in a "polite" internet community. Yes, I know big shocker there, but let me go on.

Since its been quiet around here (And at CYS), I've been trying to hang out at the Choice of Games forums where I've made a few comments about writing or some of the stories/games there and while some of the people there are okay, lately I'm finding it really damn difficult to not go off. Because I know if I do go off I know I won't stop (You all know how I get) until I end up getting banned, and quite frankly I don't have the time to sit there and argue point after point and my old trolling days of routinely pissing everyone off and getting banned from forums really aren't my goals anymore.

My major problem with the place is actually writing related though. The owners of the site have final say on what they host and that's logical enough and one I agree with, from what I can tell they don't really censor or anything like that. Their deal is more like they've got a ton of people never finishing their CYOAs, so they end up not hosting most of them anyway.

What I have more of a problem with are the several incredibly annoying members of the site (At first it seemed to be just one, but now that I'm hanging out there more, its definitely more than that) that are forever going on in every fucking thread about how some story or idea is racist/sexist/gay bashing and how it is contributing to the white man's rapist patriarchy.

So what this results in is basically a mass group shaming tactic about how if you don't include every whatever fucking gender/orientation/minority/under privileged group in your story you're a bad person, your story idea is bad, and you should feel bad. Then by the same token if you include something that they all find offensive EVEN if you've done it in a reasonable way, then they still condemn the writer for putting it in there and being insensitive. This is either done in a condescending passive aggressive way (Usually by the eunuchs) or the outright hostile way (By the angry lesbians).

What the fuck sort of lame bullshit is this? It reminds me of those 80s cartoons where they tried to teach you that the "Majority is always right and the complainer is always wrong". It was a fucking stupid lesson then and its a really stupid lesson now.

Now while there are people that go about saying "If the person wants to write 'X' then they should be able to" the problem with those people is they have no staying power. As soon as the self righteous rainbow coalition shaming brigade sees that, they have a retort for everything, and everyone just backs down. The most ridiculous thing is they all claim they're doing this to "fight society injustice" or some such twaddle because if someone writes something "bad" and someone reads it then it'll make the world a worse place. All the while they're doing the same exact bullying mob tactic that... well society tends to do. It's all a bunch of bullshit posturing of "HEY LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE I AM! YOU AREN'T AND YOU'RE EVIL!" and its all the same fucking group think mentality.

I know its a wild idea, but I've always felt like the writer/creator comes first and the actual audience second. If you write something and YOU'RE proud of it that's all that fucking matters. (I mean unless you're being a complete mercenary and doing it purely and only for the money) not the goddamn audience. If they like it great, if not, oh well.

And its not about writing something offensive or "edgy" or whatever for the hell of it, its about writing without having a bunch of fucktards waggling their fucking fingers at you and trying to convert you to do what THEY want like they were missionaries.

Part of me actually feels like I should take up the damn flag of freedom and fight the damn power, but ultimately what for? I don't feel attachment to the place like I do here. It's not really a site I'm ever going to post a story on since I have no intention of ever doing any story with any sort of coding added to it. I'd be fighting a bunch of fanatics who aren't going to listen to reason and I'll just be getting more and more pissed off at their fucktardery and ultimately banned. Sort of pointless and a waste of time on my part when I could be writing or doing something more important.

So I'll probably just stop visiting...or who knows maybe I'll go full retard and get into an internet flame war with a bunch of angry dykes and eunuchs instead, I am an agent of the rapist patriarchy after all. If that happens I'll be sure to let you all know since I'm sure it'll provide some amusement around here.

While I know she doesn't need her ego boosted anymore than it already is, thank fucking god we've got a woman like Ves on here. She's crazy, but she's not a fucking idiot.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Originally posted by End Master View Post
    While I know she doesn't need her ego boosted anymore than it already is, thank fucking god we've got a woman like Ves on here. She's crazy, but she's not a fucking idiot.
    My ego is like a tender little clitoris, so easily excited yet quick to diminish back to its natural pinpoint size, and seemingly a target for mutilation.

A phrase like that would never fly over there, would it? Is this the same forum where they were discussing the Holocaust CYOA (I could look for myself, but I'm lazy like that). The impression I get from these people is that they're all very...young. Like college age or younger. That sort of militant political correctness seems so often to be the province of people who have had all the New Age propaganda and none of the cold hard living experience. I've seen ideals such as theirs drain away faster than a boner when grandma enters the room. It's not solid, it's not based in any greater conviction beyond the stroking of the ego. These are the same kids who'd be joining the Hitlerjugend under only slightly different circumstances. Sheep of the most dire variety.

The only other possibility I can think of is that you've just had the weird unluck to stumble upon a place that has a certain magnetism for the adult version of the aforementioned kid. A few of them (usually gay, I hate to say) manage to survive their fanatical youth and grow into adults who, though mostly intelligent, still manage to operate with the black-and-white simplicity of children. This is usually a defense mechanism, and unfortunately there's quite a bit of it in my own immediate family, where my gay aunt and all her crusades are concerned. She argues with the convincing depth of a petulant grade-schooler, yet she will have your balls (or your lady bits) in a vice the second you step so much as a centimeter out of line. This is the product of fear and defensiveness and a lifetime of never quite being convinced by their own arguments. Deep deep deep deep deep down they all still want to be part of the majority; their outsider status, no matter how vindicated or justified is still a cross they bear...anxiously. It's just strange that you've found an internet location rather than a real-life one where this sort of thing is so strongly in force, without being specifically designed to serve the goals of those minority groups.

My advice is you just say "fuck it" and come back here and help to stir the embers a bit. People like that only get more entrenched in their narrow views when they come under any sort of "oppression", and any degree of disagreement or variation in viewpoint is just that: oppression. It'll only piss you off more, make them more annoying and self-righteous, and generally add to the discord of the universe.

Not that that's always a bad thing...
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Yeah same place as the Holocaust CYOA discussion. Really what made me sign up there at all was I was randomly doing a google search of "EndMaster" like a year ago and a discussion thread popped up from there so I went to investigate it. Someone from CYS asked if they'd heard of me at CoC and were linking stuff from there. Of course I came in to clarify that I was a noble IS citizen first and foremost! Ha ha.

Anyway the main fanatics I believe are a little older than the rest so they've taken it upon themselves as some sort of "teacher role" to the younger ones who usually don't have as many hang ups about certain subjects. The most irritating one is the Asian Power Maylasian/Tranny/Lesbian/Whatever the fuck who I've already gotten into minor arguments with. The most notible being that somehow she thought when I used dark elves as a fantasy comparison to Nazis she thought I was talking about black people. Which is sort of funny because I really thought that she would've jumped on my shit for mentioning gnomes and fairies getting genocided by said dark elves and claim I was comparing them to jews and gay people. (Shit, they can't even get it right when I am being offensive!)

But yeah ultimately I decided it wasn't worth my time and I figure I'd just quietly leave while I'm not currently arguing with anyone on there. Last time I checked someone thanked me on there for linking them to infinite story, so score one for the rapist patriarchy.

Comment

You've got to link these ridiculous conversations. It's probably the most interesting stuff to be read off that forum.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamshell View Post
          You've got to link these ridiculous conversations. It's probably the most interesting stuff to be read off that forum.
          Amen!

Can you feel it, brothers and sisters?

No?

Oh.

AWKward.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamshell View Post
            Eh, like I said I'm not heading back there any time soon. When I decide I should just stay away from a site, I tend to really do it. Lurking just makes such a goal impossible. You can head over and find some stuff if you want, pretty sure you can pick any thread there and find that it degenerates into some sort of argument and accusations. I mean some of it was funny when I first started browsing the threads there, but then it just started getting sad and face palm inducing, when I realized it wasn't just the one crusader there.

I mean not every forum has to be dead baby joke central obviously, but I'm not sticking around at one where every thread is turned into a preaching soap box.

Comment

Okay, this argument over dark elves and how fantasy races relates to ethnicity ends now. It's not going to remain civil. I'm not locking the thread (because I like the rest of it), but no more mentioning dark elves.
              No racism, homophobia, sexism or sexual violence. No deliberate killing of innocent people. Lewdness is welcome, though, as long as it isn't done in a sexist or violent way.
              Sometimes, some people should just have their balls cut off.

If you can make a rape joke, then surely you don't mind one dealing with your imagined forceful castration.
              That's about as good as it seems to get. End's post is dead on as far as the potential interest factor goes (unless you want to go troll them. I think Threadkiller would have some success there, if he could get around the inevitable ban).

EDIT: At least at first glance, I do kind of like the main site's layout. I think it informs the more "sensitive/selective" nature of the discussion.
              Last edited by Locke; 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM.
              Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Sometimes, some people should just have their balls cut off.

If you can make a rape joke, then surely you don't mind one dealing with your imagined forceful castration.
                Ah I see Locke quoted the angry Asian power lesbo and found the thread where one guy wanted to make a story about child sex slaves. (They weren't robots so it couldn't have been drums) I knew that one was a train wreck waiting to happen.

I'll admit that one was pretty funny since I can't help but think the guy was doing an elaborate troll.

Comment

See, to me these comments are nothing more than a challenge.

A challenge to write the most racially slurred, gender bashing, homophobic story of all time.

Let me know if you're looking for enlistees.
                  The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I've seen this plenty of times on other forums. Weirdly enough, a lot of times the people getting their panties the most twisted about any perceived sexism and racism are college aged males, who themselves are as white (pasty) as the driven snow. ("Early Disney movies should all be banned, it is OFFENSIVE that they portray women doing housework, the cackling misogynist corporate overlords are LITERALLY poisoning and brainwashing children with this garbage...why are they backing such an outmoded Victorian concept as 'princesses' anyway, I don't find that sexy as all, female characters should all be smoking hot latina or asian asskickers under the age of 25 who aren't afraid of being sexually aggressive like in MY fantasies, PS I've never touched a real girl, PPS unless you count Lara Croft, when I was 13 I used to pretend she was real while I masturbated.")

I think a lot of it goes back to what Ves said about them having no real-world experience, and it just being popular to be Very Sensitive about literally everything right now. Also they know you can't punch them in the face over the internet. (though if you're a smoking hot latina under the age of 25 they're actually kind of disappointed about that)

Comment

Working...
                    Do Not Sell My Personal Information