Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fablelane: Your source of inspiration and collaboration

Hi there.

I posted about this a few years back when it was still a prototype. Now I've finished work on version 1 of Fablelane, which is a modern collaborative writing community that can easily get you a lot of inspiration.

It's very fast-paced, and can be a good supplement if you're stuck writing and need some inspiration. You can use the site anonymously, but will of course receive benefits by signing up. We won't post stuff on your behalf or send you spam.

I had a dialog on Skype with the creator of Infinite Story a year ago. We talked about collaboration and maybe interlinking the two sites, but I have not heard from him since.

Is he still active?

Oh, and leave me some feedback on what you think about Fablelane please!

You clearly have not read any of the posts on this forum if you're inviting the regulars to come hang out on your site.

...or is this some kind of elaborate trap and it will turn out you work for the FBI?

Comment

Oh, and leave me some feedback on what you think about Fablelane please!
      You must like it. I dont know. find a job, fuck

It's very fast-paced, and can be a good supplement if you're stuck writing and need some inspiration.
      your idea, but it's whatever, why not try the vodka

russian soul food, very inspiring

take a lemon and squeeze it over all that's left of your soul

Second me pictures, I can work with that

EDIT: I kid, I kid. leave off the lemons.

the work you do is kosher
      Last edited by Sponge.; 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM.
      soak it up

Comment

Wow, what is up with the offensive posts? I used to talk with your admin on Skype nicely about our collaboration. How come we can't do the same here? I kindly just ask for feedback on a project that's highly related to Infinite Story.

In other words, I don't care if you use it. But if you do just for once, I would like to hear about your first impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Sponge. View Post
          You must like it. I dont know. find a job, fuck
          Very nice.

In my free time, I work on Fablelane.

When I don't, I work for AllSeq which is a DNA sequencing company as a programmer. In other words, I have a job.

That said, I still don't understand why the offensive post was needed. My intentions were good.

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
            You clearly have not read any of the posts on this forum if you're inviting the regulars to come hang out on your site.

...or is this some kind of elaborate trap and it will turn out you work for the FBI?
            Dear Princess Celestia.

What is your concerns in regards to inviting others to your site? And why should this be a trap?

Your friend, Twilight Sparkle.

Comment

If you must know, the site looks interesting at a glance. I haven't tried to use it as of this post. I have to wonder whether extensive, quality stories can be produced - whether you have some sort of collaboration control set, or most people contributing freely to most anything. Again, I haven't messed around with it. At a glance, it looks like a kind of Twitter approach to writing - log in and add several paragraphs to whichever stories you're following, come back later and see where it's gone. Not sure where the achievements come in yet.

The offensive posts are just sort of a tradition on this site. That's how people discuss things here. If you think Sponge and Mizal are being offensive, though, your site must be civil, indeed

Severenz may respond if you message him, eventually. I'm not sure what his status is. Good luck with Fablelane, regardless; you've clearly put some work into it, and I hope it pays off. If I do engage with it at some point, I would ideally provide some feedback. I'm usually pretty lazy, though.

You should take care not to spam the forum, in the meantime. Repeated posting is frowned upon by the regulars.
              Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

What Locke said.

I for one appreciate knowing about other sites similar to ours. Nothing can replace IS in terms of pure unabated rudeness, and as you might have noticed, we're a pretty tight-knit bunch in the sense that we all loathe and abuse each other, just like most normal families. Really, we're bringing back the nuclear family in a way that hasn't been done since Ronnie Reagan was in the White House. This might sound hatter-mad but you, for instance, have just had the dubious fortune of running afoul of the biggest baby of the bunch, the one who wets his bed and spews horrible vitriol which he doesn't really mean. If you've taken the time to investigate us as you're asking us to investigate you, I'm sure you know already that these are not the only views available on IS, so we invite you to hang around a bit as well, write stories or add to preexisting ones.
                My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Had you bothered to post in any other threads around here- or indeed, bothered to even look at any of the threadss around here- you would know this is par for the course behaivor for us. Actually a bit more civil than usual, truth be told. I fail to see why talking to the site admin should have any correlation to the behavior of a site's members.

Welcome to IS, Mathy. We're all asshats and fucktards here. Don't get your size three used japanese girl panties in a twist, dickshit.

I haven't taken much of a look at your site. I, too, am an Important Person with many Important Things to do. It does look like there's a high focus on creating stories, with minimal focus on any sort of actual collaberation.
                  Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                  Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                  And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

The funniest thing about this thread is I figured Mathy wasn't even going to bother to check back again and it would've just ended with Chubby's incoherent rant.

Your link isn't working from this site. I got an error that said "Whoops, something bad happened." same thing happens if I try to access the home page from a different part of your site.

The "Unhealthy stories" listing is sort of misleading at first. I figured it meant "unhealthy" in that the stories are morally degenerate in nature. So when I enthusiastically clicked on those first, one can imagine my disappointment when I found out they were just very short and not diverse.

Anyway it sort of reminds me of another CYOA site I used to use before this one. Not similar in the way its set up, but there is a lot of encouragement on collaboration and keeping the stories going rather than having a single author creating one CYOA all by themselves.

EDIT: Just saw a message pop up that your people are fixing stuff, so I guess that accounts for the errors I'm getting.
                    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

To ffMathy, my most faithful student,

The IS forum regulars are all terrible people, unfit for polite society in a truly staggering number of ways. When they're not under the influence and saying obscene things on the forums, they're usually trying to set up orgies with midgets in clown makeup. A few of them also molest children.

...okay, robot children only, which in most states is still legal! And while End does sometimes lure people into his rape basement (though not nearly as often as he used to) his victims tend to be grown men and also he has very good lawyers so so far this is legal too.

But regardless of technical adherence to the laws, this hive of scum and villainy is likely on a government watch list somewhere, and just in general they are not the kind of people anyone sane would be inviting to their site.

You would know this if you'd bothered to look around a little before posting. You did not do your homework. This means that perhaps you are not my most faithful student after all.

Perhaps I'll banish you to the moon.

And then send in the midgets in clown makeup.

With love,
                      Princess Celestia

P.S. The site is working for me, but I agree with Locke's assessment that it seems very Twittery. I'll have to poke around more to see the options for quality control there, or if it's all just designed to move so fast that that's not even meant to be a concern.

Last edited by mizal; 02-21-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Hahahahahaha you are all very creative at writing indeed!

I am laughing so hard right now. Thanks for that!

Oh, and thanks for the feedback that was posted. I'll try to reply to all the concerns.

Unhealthy stories
                        Unhealthy stories are indeed just really short stories that haven't received a lot of points yet, or aren't very diverse. However, they are there because contributing to them gives more points and experience than other normal stories.

Moderation
                        The community moderates content. Just like Wikipedia. The more karma points you have, the more privileges you get. At first, you can only write your own stories, and "vote contributions up". At a later level, you learn to also "vote contributions down".

As you progress, you also learn privileges such as "correcting contributions", "approving anonymous user's content", "creating new branches" and so on.

This is a cool element that actually does work for moderation. If you have signed in and make a contribution to your own story, that contribution starts out with 3 "upvotes". If others contribute, they start out with 0.

Every time a contribution is upvoted, the author of the story earns karma points. When a contribution is voted down, the author loses karma points.

If a contribution has a negative vote-status (for instance -3), it is at risk of being deleted automatically. Furthermore, the author of the story's votes count for 3 times as much as a random person, so he is still somewhat in control.

Everything that's posted by anonymous users is being added to a "watchlist" for users that have level 10 and higher, where they can approve or block posts.

The whole principle is that if you want to just spam the site and be evil, you are most likely not going to use the site for real, get a lot of upvotes, and THEN be evil. In other words, it's easier to be "good" than "evil" on the site, and that actually works.

If your account reaches a negative score, it is automatically deleted, and so is every contribution that account has ever made.

TL;DR: It is entirely community-based. There is nothing about it that's moderated by super-users. If you want to check out the moderation, go ahead and spam the site with crap. You'll banished automatically, by the power of the community.

Not that different from Twitter
                        I still find it a lot different than Twitter, given that you can also create new story branches, and that there is a lot of moderation.

See this story for a good example of this

Comment

Originally posted by ffMathy View Post
                          It is entirely community-based. There is nothing about it that's moderated by super-users. If you want to check out the moderation, go ahead and spam the site with crap. You'll banished automatically, by the power of the community.
                          Mmm. Reminds me of the Worth1000 system. Challenge accepted.

I'm not a big fan of the insanely small word limit, but that seems to have been intentional.
                          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ffMathy View Post
                            If you want to check out the moderation, go ahead and spam the site with crap.
                            The moderation can't be that good since the site already looks like its been spammed with crap.

It's too community spirit minded and "twittery" for me, but I'm sure others might like it.
                            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Usoki View Post
                              Mmm. Reminds me of the Worth1000 system. Challenge accepted.

I'm not a big fan of the insanely small word limit, but that seems to have been intentional.
                              The higher your level, the more/less characters you can write.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information