Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna-be Writer

Hey Gang,

Wanna-be writer here. I grew up reading CYOA books and only within the past few years have a I learned that gamebooks / interactive fiction existed at such a large scale - mostly from finding some digital gamebooks on the app store.

I've done some basic research, and it seems interactive fiction is starting to become a popular medium again (since it effectively died out after the 80's for most of the population) due to mobile and tablet gaming. With my love for the genre, the possibility that there is some part of the world that loves it, and my capabilities - I'm attempting to write my own gamebook.

I already got reamed by [Edit: Vesnic] for solicitation (whoops!), so I won't spam you guys with links. If you are interested in what I'm working on: just ask!

I would like to post some snippets / ideas for feedback if at all possible. Trying to grow as a writer. It's tough.
    Last edited by Dewfreak83; 01-21-2015, 09:49 AM.

Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask for critiques on stuff. Hopefully you'll join to be part of the community beyond just this though.

That being said, it's only fair that I warn you of a few things.

1) Your chances of anyone being motivate enough to help you are kind of slim. We're mostly lazy in this regard.

2) Your best chances are not to link us somewhere else as it is just one more step that we have to do. And we're lazy, like I said.

3) Uh.... Beer?

[edit] Oh, and I think you meant Vesnic reamed you, not Vulpes.
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Originally posted by donteatpoop View Post
      Oh, and I think you meant Vesnic reamed you, not Vulpes.
      I don't ream anyone. I provide well-justified remonstrance where it's needed.

Rimming on the other hand...
      My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewfreak83 View Post
        Hey Gang,

Wanna-be writer here. I grew up reading CYOA books and only within the past few years have a I learned that gamebooks / interactive fiction existed at such a large scale - mostly from finding some digital gamebooks on the app store.

I've done some basic research, and it seems interactive fiction is starting to become a popular medium again (since it effectively died out after the 80's for most of the population) due to mobile and tablet gaming. With my love for the genre, the possibility that there is some part of the world that loves it, and my capabilities - I'm attempting to write my own gamebook.

I already got reamed by Vulpes for solicitation (whoops!), so I won't spam you guys with links. If you are interested in what I'm working on: just ask!

I would like to post some snippets / ideas for feedback if at all possible. Trying to grow as a writer. It's tough.
        You're really making the rounds huh? I've seen you at CYS, CoG, and the IF Forums.

Anyway, not sure if I can be of any help even if I wasn't so lazy. As most people know I'm pretty lousy at doing any sort of meaningful critiquing.

But I'll try I guess.

Personally from what I've seen based on stuff you linked to on other sites, I don't see any major problems with what you're doing so far.

I guess the only thing I might say is don't get overly concerned with the "romance" aspect which seems to be the eye rolling norm in RPGs nowadays. Honestly I remember a time when RPGs were primarily about breaking into monsters' homes and chopping them up, not worrying about whether your companions really like you or not and passing love notes to them in between adventures. I don't even buy Bioware games anymore because they've gone overboard with their mini-dating sim nonsense and waste time with it which could've been better spent on something else.

However, that's my opinion (And probably not a very popular one) so it isn't something you even really need to listen to. If you want to make a complex mini-dating sim within your work, hey go for it.

Which brings me to the other point of I'd say to certain extent I sometimes think aspiring authors/writers in general are TOO concerned with what others think and the writing/development ends up suffering because the author is trying to appease everyone or even more likely, it doesn't get off the ground because they're constantly going back and making changes. (OH NOES I forgot to make the option to play as a transsexual black lesbian furry! Better rewrite EVERYTHING!) You don't need to be all things to everyone and you shouldn't bother to try because it's a losing scenario.

From what I can tell on your Team page, it's basically just you doing all the work, and you're going to get complaints no matter what you do, so ultimately I say you should stick with whatever your vision is first and foremost.

Anyway, not sure if any of that was actually helpful, but there you go.
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
          You're really making the rounds huh? I've seen you at CYS, CoG, and the IF Forums.
          Hehe, yup! Each community is so different. I'm not really involved on CoG - the owner or admin just posted a link to the Text Piece Tuesday on reddit (cool!), so figure I'd update it on the occasion.

Speaking of neat things, having the End Master reply to my thread is certainly cool! You seem to be sort of a local legend on some of these forums? Anyways, I thank you for your time - and anyone's for that matter.

I guess the only thing I might say is don't get overly concerned with the "romance" aspect which seems to be the eye rolling norm in RPGs nowadays. Honestly I remember a time when RPGs were primarily about breaking into monsters' homes and chopping them up, not worrying about whether your companions really like you or not and passing love notes to them in between adventures. I don't even buy Bioware games anymore because they've gone overboard with their mini-dating sim nonsense and waste time with it which could've been better spent on something else.
          Yeah, we are on the same page here. The CoG IF tend to do some of this as well. Honestly I don't have the writing skills to even pull off something like that if I wanted too. But really I grew up on the CYOA books which really just focused on adventure and adversity. Most gamebooks tend to do the same thing - and it's what I love about them.

From what I can tell on your Team page, it's basically just you doing all the work, and you're going to get complaints no matter what you do, so ultimately I say you should stick with whatever your vision is first and foremost.

Anyway, not sure if any of that was actually helpful, but there you go.
          Hah, yeah just me really. Thanks for checking out the site! Any feedback is helpful. It makes the journey not feel so... lonely?

I know my writing won't be as great as most real writers, nor as deep. But I'm hoping some of the mechanics and art help to offset that a bit. We'll see!

Comment

Welcome aboard. Feel free to ask for critiques on stuff. Hopefully you'll join to be part of the community beyond just this though.
            Most certainly. I'm a programmer by trade and am using custom tools to write IF, so I've got a pretty narrow window of topics I can help provide input on. But I'm here to try

Your best chances are not to link us somewhere else as it is just one more step that we have to do. And we're lazy, like I said.
            Yeah, I figure I would post the occasional snippet here and there.

[edit] Oh, and I think you meant Vesnic reamed you, not Vulpes.
            Whoops, fixed - thanks!

Comment

Hi Dewfreak,

Welcome!

You seem nice, I'm so sorry you had to stumble upon this place.
              Last edited by mizal; 02-09-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

ramzi.sen
                This thread was from before the three year time jump so I'm pretty sure that guy is long gone, however we do have a newer newbie thread (https://forums.infinite-story.com/fo...elcome-newbies) and of course.... Actually wait I'm dumb, you're just another bot. Carry on.
                Last edited by mizal; 02-09-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                Do Not Sell My Personal Information