What are you READING?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you READING?

Given this is a writing site. I suppose this topic has been posted before? I dunno. I don't remember. But I figure we should ALL start reading more.

Can I get a "hell ya?"

HELL YA!

Okay.

Anyway, I'm reading a Tale of Two Cities by C. Dickens and it is pure unbridled joy. His mastery of the English language is second to none. If you take the time to dissect the paragraphs they reveal a picture more clear than any LED screen these days.

The English language has really lost its razor EDGE.

And I am just as guilty as the next person.

But I am really enjoying the story.

Well, it sounds like I'm affecting my classic lit cred now, but I'm currently rereading The Count of Monte Cristo. There's betrayal, corruption, intrigue, tragic deaths, hidden treasure, prison escapes, vows of vengeance, artful disguises and unexpected benefactors, Roman Carnival, smugglers, and that's all before Monte Cristo even reaches Paris.

Comment

AHA! Next on my list. Thanks, Dream.

Comment

Wow! Monte Cristo sounds as awesome as I thought it would be. I've been wanting to read that one for some time now. Sounds like a definite must-read! Guess I will bump it up on my reading list.

At the moment, I am reading a Richard Laymon novel called Savage. It's okay so far, about some guy trying to stop Jack the Ripper from killing. Not as good as some of his other works, unfortunately.
        Who I am doesn't matter; what I write does...

Comment

Since I like the idea of this thread and it's not gotten a lot of attention, I'll say I've moved on to rereading 'Master & Commander,' the first book in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

To go off on a bit of a tangent comparing this series and the Horatio Hornblower books by C. S. Forester based on my scanty readings; Hornblower is probably the more digestible (while both authors make use of nautical jargon, I'd say O'Brian's is denser), but Jack Aubrey is easily the more affable captain to follow. Hornblower is so emphatically self-loathing that, even when he pulls off clever naval feats, it's hard not to agree with his judgments of himself and thus lose interest and/or patience. Ironically, I recognize a lot more of myself in his dour tetchiness than in Aubrey's unreserved approachability.

...Yeah, I enjoy sailing vessels and Napoleonic politics in my fiction, apparently. Sue me.

Comment

I gave up on Tale of Two Cities. Yes the paragraphs were rich and the language is vibrant and descriptive....but it was just taking too much energy to read it and then filter it and then digest it and then comprehend it in the wider sense. I might finish it later.

Since then I've tried to pick up my two-in-one Stephen Hawking book, The Universe in a Nutshell and a Brief History of Time.Even when this guy tries to dumb it down for knuckleheads like me to understand, I still have a hard time comprehending where he's going. But I give it the college try, I really do. And I can vaguely grasp where he is going sometimes and it is pretty fucking weird and at the same time not so surprising that we live in such a strange Universe. I like his positive scientific approach to things, but at the end of the day I really don't think we're ever going to arrive at that "Unified Theory of Everything" that is the holy grail.

I would still like to pick up the Count of Monte Cristo when I get a chance.

I've always enjoyed nautical jargon and all that stuff, sailing vessels on the high seas and naval battles and scurvy whores and captains logs...probably because it's such a terrifying prospect. Being aboard one of those ships during that time took a type of moxy that I know for a fact I just don't have. I mean that was some hardcore shit.

My lawyers will be contacting your lawyers, dreamshell.
            Last edited by IMNOTCHUBBYTELETUBBYLOLJK; 05-30-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMNOTCHUBBYTELETUBBYLOLJK View Post
              Since then I've tried to pick up my two-in-one Stephen Hawking book, The Universe in a Nutshell and a Brief History of Time.Even when this guy tries to dumb it down for knuckleheads like me to understand, I still have a hard time comprehending where he's going. But I give it the college try, I really do. And I can vaguely grasp where he is going sometimes and it is pretty fucking weird and at the same time not so surprising that we live in such a strange Universe. I like his positive scientific approach to things, but at the end of the day I really don't think we're ever going to arrive at that "Unified Theory of Everything" that is the holy grail.
              I have the same Hawking 2 in 1 book and the same problem, man. I mean I get it... kind of.. not really though. I kind of get it though. I can't explain it back to you or anything like that but I get enough of it to pretend to get it.

The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Just started reading the King Killer Chronicles from Rothfuss... Who has apparently reached his George RR Martin arc much sooner than Martin himself. Still brilliantly written though. Here's how good of a writer Rothfuss is. I'm in the first 10th of book 2. He took my three least favorite things about most fantasy settings: A focus on magic, a formal school of learning, and a super-powerful 'living legend' lead character... And he made me love it. Seriously, I like low key magic; I hate 'school days' stories, and I like my heroes and anti-heroes to be susceptible to death. Yet I would read this all day, every day. You both love and hate Kvothe... you may never get past how annoying his name is; but you will be intrigued all the same.

Oh and somehow he made music in his books more relevant than in any other fantasy series. A very vibrant part. Purely brilliant writing.
                The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

You know, I haven't delved into fantasy in...I can't even remember how long.

Which is somewhat odd, I suppose, given what an absolute rpg and fantasy freak I was growing up. I don't know how many times I read LotR, but it was a lot. The last time I read it was probably 15 years ago, though. I guess once in a while I'll crack open the Hobbit and read that just on purely sentimental motivations.

All that being said, I've been flirting with the notion of digging up one of my old stories, Mageslayer, and maybe trying to finish it. I had some pretty good plot twists in store. I mean, I know anyone who read the story knew there was more to Hamel the lowly hay merchant than he was letting on. In fact....there was a LOT more. My original version was rife with spelling errors and frankly, I was stoned the entire time I was writing that thing. But I did have a bigger picture in mind the entire time, and I still do.

I also had some juicy and very naughty sex scenes ready for Hamel's daughter, and the fallout thereof was going to be pretty funny and catastrophic at the same time.

There was also a cartel that was yet to be revealed and a lot of underworkings that led all the way to the top. I guess I should stop with the spoilers, but I doubt I'll ever finish it. I might, if I get some motivation this summer and some time.

Comment

Wow! Monte Cristo sounds as awesome as I thought it would be.

__________________________________________________ ____
                    snaptube telegram web vidmate
                    Last edited by elitglad; 02-18-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

gbwhatsapp
                      gb whatsapp
                      gbwhatsapp apk
                      gbwhatsapp
                      gb whatsapp
                      gbwhatsapp apk

Comment

Working...
                      Do Not Sell My Personal Information