How long you been Infinite Story-ing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long you been Infinite Story-ing?

I was 25 when I cooked up the first version of Infinite Story. It originally ran under chooseyourownadventure.com domain but due to a cease and desist legal threat from the late Ray Montgomery I moved it. When I registered the domain name, the books were no longer in print and the company had no online presence. I switched the name to Infinite Story but held onto the domain for many years.

So I’ve been on this website for nearly 20 years which is hard to believe.

How about you all? How old were you when you started here?

Since November 2004 so 27.

Yep, I remember when it was called chooseyourownadventure as well. I also remember you briefly changed it to something else for a few days, but nobody liked it and you eventually settled on Infinite Story.

Around the the time you had to change the name, the guy must have had lawyers scouring the internet about the name since there were other sites using the CYOA name and they all suddenly had to change as well.

In fact, they've been at it again recently with sending their lawyer armies after people.

https://thestoryfix.blog/2019/12/10/...ng-cyoa-games/
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Join date is January of this year. Was on here a few years prior after following the links in End's CYS profile, but didn't make an account.

Comment

Endmaster... you’re alive! FYI, I think one of your stories recently had submissions turned off due to the number of pending rooms it had.

I forgot about the other domain name change. Does anyone remember what it was? I wish I would have registered the non-dashed variant of infinite-story.com

Comment

I imagine I had submissions turned off since all my stories are completed with no loose ends. I don't have any other authors on my stories either.

I can't remember what the other domain name was, I just remember you mentioned your friend came up with it. I think the name change happened 2005-2006?
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Endmaster, your submissions were turned off on a story with a new programmatic feature that does that when the number of pending submissions reaches a threshold. Basically, it detects "abandoned" stories that allow submissions.

Comment

I was fascinated with CYOA novels when I was a kid, which I mostly found in used bookstores (many were out of print even then). When I was in high school, doing a lot of writing in my spare time, I got nostalgic and found the site. The forum is really what grabbed me, though. I probably lurked for a couple of months; everyone here was a great character. I found myself checking back a few times a day (the forums were busier then, and there was plenty of drama). Eventually I started posting, not sure when, but a few weeks before the original forums transitioned to the vBulletin format. I think I was the last "OG" member - although I like the Lovecraft element End adds to it better; I am one of the Old Ones.

I started several stories and a collaboration, and they never went anywhere. The skill is there, and I want to enjoy the process, but I usually don't: a consistent failing. I stuck it out for a novella at one point when I was younger, and haven't yet had the discipline to really see something through. In forum lore, I'm "the nice one" but also "the flaky one" (at least with Chubby out of the picture. Might be time to unban him?). I am known for creating sometimes dozens of posts in a row, trying to get it right, then removing them. I suffer from SHAME.

College (the first time) was an incredibly isolating experience. I went to a public university, and I wouldn't say I gained much of anything from it. I lost myself in a crowded campus and sort of stopped functioning. I showed up for writing classes sometimes, and sporadically turned in some very good work, which kept me afloat academically. The forums were the high point of my day for... a lot of days during that time. That's why its so important to me that this place stays online; I just want it to exist because there was a time in my life when that was all I had. There was a computer lab in the back of a library in the IT wing of campus that no one knew about, and I would go there and catch up on the IWT and write these frustratingly long, rambling posts, and maybe write a paper. I looked forward to those sessions. I papered over the gaps with a lot of drugs (which I think is fine, in moderation, but I did some fairly dangerous, stupid things).

Let's see... I spent a long time sniping back and forth with Ves, before I arrived at respect. She's a better wordsmith than I am - I'm not in love with admitting that; you might want to quote it. Visited Chubby once in my road trip days (my friend was creeped out, and it didn't end well). Plenty of forum drama to dredge up, but I don't know how significant I was to most of it. While the forum was down, I went to college (the second time), which was what it should have been the first time around. I'm a commercial pilot and flight instructor with a good career ahead of me. Hoping to fly seaplanes in the future (or island charter/air taxi), not looking to the airlines so much. Sadly - aside from some excellent business letters and recommendations - I haven't written anything in years. There is a creative void in me that really needs to be addressed. That's why I'm posting here right now. It's something. The thing that wants to be expressed is getting very loud.

This is one of the central points of my reality. Even if I'm gone for some extended period, the fact that this place is here is important. If anyone read "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" - well, it comes in for some criticism, and that's justified. I get the book, though, and parts of it speak to what IS was in my life. I think that about covers it.
              Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Join date is January of this year. Was on here a few years prior after following the links in End's CYS profile..

__________________________________________________ _________
                Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1
                Last edited by elitglad; 02-18-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Was on here a few years prior after following the links in End's CYS profile..

Comment

Working...
                  Do Not Sell My Personal Information