Obama gets the nobel peace prize...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama gets the nobel peace prize...

To try to breathe a tiny bit of life back into this dead forum, time for a semi political discussion.

Am I the only one who felt that this was entirely unnecessary... and not really warranted?
    Click it now.

Nope, not warranted at all. He hasn't done anything to deserve it, unless one is going to say "Well, he's not Bush, so let's give him a prize!" but if we're handing out Nobel Prizes for that accomplishment, they can give me one too.

I'm more amused by NASA's bright idea of smashing a rocket into the moon to supposedly get water. Seems like a rather primitive way to go about this, doesn't it?

If water is under the moon's crust and we were really serious (And had the budget) about getting it, wouldn't make more sense to send a manned crew to go digging around up there with pick axes, industrial lasers and such?

The way NASA's going on about it, they're jumping up and down with glee like a bunch of chimps that just discovered how to make fire. As it stands it seems like they wasted money destroying a perfectly good rocket for no gain.

Who knows? Maybe its really just some sort of weapons testing though and they're just masquerading it as a "scientific endeavor".
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Sometimes they give prizes for noble ideas and concepts. I guess Obama has some good ideas. Of course, Americans are a more tangible species. We like to actually see or feel something before we rush off to celebrate and hand out awards. I think they should have waited to see if Obama managed to accomplish any of his goals before handing out prizes. Also, I'm with Max- if they are just rewarding him for not being Bush then I want a prize too.

As for NASA throwing stuff at the moon... well, it does seem a bit primitive. The story I heard is that they are running a satelite into the moon's surface and aiming it at a crater that they suspect may have water or something. It is all in this great search for life. I must confess though, if I could convince someone to let me throw crap into the moon, I might get into it just for the thrill of it.
      ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Don't even get me started on NASA. Space is the forgotten frontier. I think our only real hope in ever exploring the solar system and beyond is in private companies. Considering when we had men on the moon, we should have had a person to mars by now.

I know people argue that space exploration is a huge waste of money, but it is a much better use of billions of dollars than shooting at sand in Iraq and Afghanistan.
        Click it now.

Comment

Max? Is that your name, End? I'd never have guessed.

It's definitely too early to give the guy a Nobel based on merit; I'm assuming the committee is being proactive and hoping this will help inspire peace efforts. If that actually happens, I think awarding Obama the prize will be justified. I'm going to hold off on judging them for it until things play out some. In any case, the Nobel decision will lend a good deal of extra weight to any peace-related diplomatic efforts he involves himself in, so while the award might be unwarranted by its own standards, there is at least a chance of its helping to bring about the ideals for which it was created.

Human advancement has always been a priority to my mind; watching the space program stagnate over the years has been quite frustrating. I'd willingly volunteer to pay a "space tax" if it'd help get us up there, but at the moment, private industry does seem a more likely alternative. It's quite an outlay in any case, of course, with little to gain in the short term, particularly where the moon and Mars are concerned. If it was me, I'd go straight for the asteroids; there is enough consolidated wealth there to quickly revolutionize the whole world's economy.

You'd think the simple knowledge that we're all going to die someday would be enough to galvanize everyone into working together to try to advance the species - by comparison with that fact, little else actually matters - but instead most people just accept it as inevitable, focus on learning to cope with it rather than trying to prevent it, and seem to prefer shooting at one another over petty issues to getting things done.
          Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi! My name is: Katie View Post
            ...Also, I'm with Max-...
            Originally posted by Locke View Post
            Max? Is that your name, End?

HAHAHAHAHA

Good going Katie.

You just gave his secret identity as the silly kid in the animal pajamas from Where The Wild Things Are away.
            Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

I just enjoy all of the people who are bashing on Obama as if it was his idea to get the award. "Just who the hell does he think he is!? Blar blar blar He was only in office for four days when nominations were happening blar blar he hasn't even done anything yet blar!"

Which is a fair opinion...but you're blaming the wrong person there, spanky.
              Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
              Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
              And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Given that they've handed out the Nobel Peace Prize to someone like Yasser Arafat in the past, yet didn't award it to fucking Ghandi, I'd have to wonder what they're thinking up in Norway.

You just gave his secret identity as the silly kid in the animal pajamas from Where The Wild Things Are away.
                What's even funnier, is I glanced at her post yesterday and didn't even realize she'd used my real name instead. Oh well, hardly matters, Max was cool, he had a bunch of monsters worshipping him.

Though still keeping with Apoth's theory of me being an AI, here's another possibility.

Of course I still prefer this one.

Comment

I don't think you are "AI", just a brain in a jar hooked up to a series of computers... or maybe possessing a mindless golem of sorts...

Last edited by apotheosis; 10-10-2009, 12:06 PM.
                  Click it now.

Comment

Obama doesn't deserve the nobel peace prize because he's still sending troops to Afghanistan to go to war with the Taliban & Al-Qaeda.

They only chose him for the same reason he's elected: Because he's black.
                    "Let me tell you something. If you're a real conservative, if you're a real patriot, if you're a real American patriot, DON'T VOTE FOR SARAH PALIN! SHE'S A DUMMY"

Comment

That's hilarious about End. Now, instead of picturing him as a cool faceless entity, I'm always going to have an image of Max from that "Guess Who?" game associated with him in my mind (you know, that dude with the round face, black hair, and mustache).

And Megaman, come on. Get with the program. Get real. Get it right. Come on.

Comment

Mega's been on a bit of a trolling run lately, he's doing something similar over at CYS (And failing as usual).

Granted saying something "racist" on some forums produces some hilarious results of various members getting in a tizzy and accusing you of being a redneck Nazi, but saying it around here just isn't going to get an "offended" overreaction.

Comment

I'm not sure what would legitimately offend this community... I mean, with MRH long dead, Chubby going missing for periods of time, who is going to bother getting argumentative?

Unless someone dishonors HOID, in which case, flame war on, courtesy of Apoth.
                          Click it now.

Comment

HOID smells of elderberries?
                            Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                            Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                            And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I pretty much agree with all of that. Particularly about Megaman being a tool but I also don't think Obama deserved the peace prize. And End, did they really not give it to Ghandi?
                              How we paid such close attention
                              To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information