What do you people do for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you people do for a living?

I don't think this one's been asked before, probably because a lot of us were (still are?) in college. I guess I'm asking out of self-interest, too, because I'm in exigent need of a paying job and some kind of career path.

I was an IT guy and racked up a few certs before I lost interest. Switched to English (+ communication minor), because I was actually passionate about writing back then. I figured it'd be easy, and I was drawing things out, hoping something would come up to give me direction. I don't feel like I actually learned much in college (my writing/editing has improved some, though). I delivered pizza, worked tech support, co-owned a formalwear business, and did a little light construction.

Nothing going on at the moment, sitting in Virginia, looking for low-end work (so far it's between another pizza job and maybe a flagman position on a road crew). I know I'm worth more than this. I threw this thread up mostly for its own sake, but I know several of you were English majors and probably have better plans than I do.

Goes without saying that End's got a lead on me now after I dodged him in Florida (I left when I saw the Newport butts in the bushes, and someone on my LAN surfing for necro). After a couple weeks on the road, though, I might just give him the address.

EDIT: I somehow accidentally upsized all the text on my forum display while posting. Anyone know where the option's at?
    Last edited by Locke; 06-15-2011, 02:39 AM.
    Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

I never went to college. I was working at a telemarketing joint and had just been promoted to supervisor so I figured I didn't need to. I regret that. I should have gone. That company closed down six years later and I hopped from a couple random jobs and then back to telemarketing with a more stable company. After six months I got promoted, and then promoted a couple more times in the same year. I'm a supervisor now doing fundraising for non profit organizations.

Hoping I can get out of it.

If you locate to Ohio, I can get you a job with my company, they are located all around Ohio, two in Northern West Virginia, and one in North Western Pennsylvania. They're opening one in Canada too, but you have to speak french to work there.

Not really the career path most people are looking for, but it pays well enough especially through bonuses and when/if you climb the ladder. If you're interested in at least looking into it, let me know and I'll forward you some information.

Otherwise. Yeah, that's what I do.

I keep dreaming that one day I'll just be able to live off of my writing, so who knows.
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Have worked in computer repairs, but mostly been an admin assistant and/or office manager for the lest ten years (since college ended)... however, I am currently laid off and unemployed. Which sucks.
      Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

I cook food for 250 developmentally disabled people and emotionally screwed up little kids who complain and cuss at me a lot. I make a cool $8 an hour doing this so yep, gonna buy my own private island and retire annnny year now.

Comment

I work under a big sign that says Information. Most of the time people seem to think I know everything, other times they treat me like I'm a complete idiot. I work at a library so I get to do a ton of stuff, promotional material for programs, programs, reference research, fix computers, fix printers, fax machines, and anything else that breaks, teach classes, select books, recommend books, remove books from the system... and most recently I've begun writing grants. I really like writing grants.

The pay is shabby, sometimes my patrons pee in their computer chairs, I once had someone threaten to bust a cap in my ass when I answered the phone, and yet I love my job. I just wish it was a full-time gig. On the other hand, having a part time gig lets me keep plugging away at that education thing.

And of course you all know what my husband does... reaper of souls, deliverer of children's nightmares, part-time horseman of the apocalypse, and occasional stalker... as some of you may have experienced in real life.

Drag... you should work at a library, your skills would be highly valued.
          ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Originally posted by Hi! My name is: Katie View Post
            Drag... you should work at a library, your skills would be highly valued.
            I actually applied for something at the SPL, but I didn't get it.
            Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

I still think your friend is a bitch. We could have had a good time 2 years ago. I could have shown you some things no one else ever will.

(And that doesn't even include my penis)

Although if you still want to see my penis I CAN show you that. Willingly. (BTW, it's black)

(I make money robbing old women in Mall parking lots)

Seriously.
              Last edited by ChubbyTeletubby; 06-17-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Drag... SPL is one of the best library systems in the country. Competition getting jobs there is probably rough.

Chubby... I thought you were doing construction or something. Did you find hitting up old ladies for cash to be more lucrative?

~Katie
                ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

I'm a security consultant for the Union Aerospace Corporation. I'm forced to travel around a lot for the job, but it's pretty cool and the pay is decent.
                  Click it now.

Comment

Working...
                  Do Not Sell My Personal Information