Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure why I started doing this but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure why I started doing this but...

I've been checking character names that I've used in stories and searching them on Facebook. Paco Valdez came back with several choices, maybe one of them looks like someone "not to be fucked with." But probably only if he's not smiling. The rest of them, clearly able to be fucked with.

The McKenzie brothers from Brothers, Paul only returns some athlete's profile. Mikey looks... Mikey enough (at least the one I found), definately looks drugged out... But he looks like he's a bit more physically fit than I pictured. All the Kenny McKenzie's I found looked wrong. Possibly because they were all smiling and didn't look suicidal.
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

I ran a few searches the lazy way (Google images). Only Derek Dogan was in the same ballpark.
    Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I... this is actually a really entertaining idea. Unfortunately, I'm really not in the habit of giving any of my characters last names. In fact, the only characters who I can think of are the main character from Rentyre, and the teenager from the Nerve Tissue door in Apoth's HOID. And both of their last names are far too screwy to get search results.
      Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
      Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
      And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Most of my characters don't have full names either, or they remain comfortably in the second-person, and I am yet to find a person whose name is You. That sounds like an Abbott and Costello sketch, doesn't it?

However, I have found an Anna O'Hagerty or two, mostly in historical family records and obituaries. Seems it's not a name that has achieved any sort of notoriety, and that's fine by me.

I'm more bothered by the idea that someone might actually share my real-life name. That pisses me right off.
        My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Same here, my protagonists are either nameless or only have a first name. Most of my other characters only have a first name too.

In the rare case where a character has a last name they usually don't have a first name! These are usually military characters where their rank is mentioned and then their last name.

However after some quick searching I have found a few exceptions in my Eternal story. Again pretty much all of these are still military leaders, but I saw fit to give them a proper name for story purposes.

Like Locke I did a lazy google search.

(Lieutenant) Kenneth Verant: Apparently one guy living in Livonia, Michigan. 66 years old and it looks like he owns a place called "Hair Today"

(Lieutenant) Dawn Young: Got more than a few popping up with this one even some images. The most prominent was a Facebook page and a website dedicated to a woman that does documentaries, acting and voiceovers.

(Colonel) Cynthia Gemma: One gal in Ohio...wait for it...Youngstown! So she lives in DEP's hometown.

(Captain) Alison Krozer: No matches for this one. The closest is an Alison Crozier in Canada.

Jacob Mol: Got a few to pop up with this one too. The most prominent ones were a Facebook page and someone that immigrated to Iowa. Five other people popped up too and most of them were all living in Michigan (Jenison, Flint, Grand Rapids, and Sand Lake)

Klemto Zookwinkle: I got one match and it linked to my story where the gnome introduced himself to the protagonist. Lol. Would've been funnier if there actually had been someone going by this name though.
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Working...
          Do Not Sell My Personal Information