So, um, SCOTLAND.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, um, SCOTLAND.

Let's get it out of our system right now and then we will never speak of this again: "FREEEEEDOOOOOMMMMMM!!"

So Scotland's greatest rebel was played by an anti-Semitic Australian nutjob, while one of the crunchy old farts who is in reality supporting a YES vote this coming Thursday is best known for his role as that tangiest of all limeys: 007. Go figure. Most of the debates around the referendum on Scottish independence have made just about as much sense.

In case you've been living under a rock for the last few weeks, the big news is that the Scottish Parliament, seemingly out of the blue, has pushed successfully for a definitive vote, which will take place on September 18th, 2014, to determine whether or not Scotland will remain part of the United Kingdom or whether it will in fact, secede. Secession. Isn't that the sort of thing that only happens in history books or to countries whose names we can't pronounce? Scotland? Seriously? Yeah. Maybe. We'll see.

In a move I found really sort of dickish given how many Scots live and work far from home, though they were born in Scotland and have strong Scottish identities, only those with an active residence there in the past one year are being allowed to participate in the referendum. As for the promises of the Scottish National Party, I am really unimpressed. It seems to depend a lot on empty rhetoric and vague declarations of beneficial change, with too much focus on what they will not be and too little on what they will be. It's not even entirely clearly whether Scotland would keep the British Pound or drop it in favor of its own currency. Articles are appearing which call the SNP "pound foolish" due to the realities of fiscal and monetary responsibilities in the European Union, and how illogically divided these things might become in the event that Scotland was nominally free while keeping itself chained to the same currency. If they are going to go truly retro and fall back on outdated concepts like that of nationhood, then why not go all the way?

Yet if they had ever been about compromises, then it seems there would be no need to secede at all. The out-of-control market conditions in Europe and globally, tied to the grim reality that united they stand, and just as united (well, minus Germany) they fall, would seem to suggest that the better option here is to choose the evil they already know than to gamble on the potentially monumental evil they can't yet quite predict. And this is more than naked fear-mongering. Russia proved itself capable of eating a bite out of its neighbor, even when the EU was ostensibly in its full flush. No repercussions of any appreciable sort. What, then, will happen with a demonstrably weakened Union, in economic, military and human terms? Aren't things bad enough already without further destabilizing the balance? It seems almost selfish, really.

If Scotland goes, who will follow? Wales? Will the Euro-skeptics in the remaining UK finally win over? This could potentially set off a domino effect. But we just don't know. So why tempt the fates?

Fate has a name. She is called China. Does anyone actually doubt that opportunism, aggression and naked profiteering don't very much exist in our world? This sort of willful naivety really sort of frightens me. I would love to have the ideal that an independent Scotland might start talking sense to the rest of us, might set a good example in so many areas, in the economy, the environment, in health care and education, as the SNP has somewhat grandiosely, if vaporously, promised to do. But again, that nagging, dragging feeling. Why play ball in a mine field when we could just bed down for the night and hope we wake up somewhat more clear-headed in the morning?
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

From what I've always heard Wales doesn't really have that strong of an independence movement so it probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Scotland, I'm only half surprised about, since I know there has always been grumbling about seceding from the UK. Sort of thought Northern Ireland would always leave first though.

Anyway, the white separatists seem to like the idea since England has been overrun with multiculturalism, faggotry, Muslims, and political correctness!
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
      From what I've always heard Wales doesn't really have that strong of an independence movement so it probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
      I have my doubts about Wales too. I'd actually be more concerned about somewhere like Spain, where there have been many separatist movements among the people who speak one of the other three official languages of the country. The existence of a culturally relevant and current language, an historical region with a unique ethnic history as well as natural barriers separating it from other regions, and a whole lot of disgruntlement (grumbling, as you say) seem to be the primary ingredients in proposed political secessions. Based on this scale, Scotland would seem to be getting most of its steam from the last category, as Scots Gaelic is hardly a strong factor and the region has had its history so intertwined with that of England for the last several centuries, with so many people drifting across the border in both directions, that a much larger interdependence has been created than the SNP wants to acknowledge. I think this relatively recent history will ultimately prove more compelling than Hadrian's puny Wall.

But never underestimate the power of good old-fashioned ressentiment...

Sort of thought Northern Ireland would always leave first though.
      Well, that's an interesting point. I wonder if any supposedly settled issues will be reopened in the wake of Scottish independence.

Anyway, the white separatists seem to like the idea since England has been overrun with multiculturalism, faggotry, Muslims, and political correctness!
      Haha, yeah, I agree these are all problems. England really does seem pretty hell-bent on undoing itself, doesn't it? I think the worst thing about PC is that it's so skillfully wielded by those who don't in fact give two shits about political correctness as a guiding concept. It is such an easily abused linguistic weapon. Just look at Israel and the absolute shut-down of debate both in the States and Europe, all because it is politically correct, no, politically mandatory, that everybody love everything about Israel. Any and all criticism can and will be immediately construed as anti-Semitism. And who are Israel's most vocal supporters in America? Why, the political and social conservatives, obviously! After all, they're the ones with the long history of true humanitarian concern for the plight of the Jews!

Living in the Age of Strange Bedfellows means that I take any political issue based ostensibly in an ideal with a huge grain of salt, whether its the latest PC kerfuffle, Scottish independence or the deliciously atavistic witch hunt going down at the BBC. In politically correct Germany, they've now set a precedent for trying nearly hundred-year-old men who were nothing more than glorified security guards at concentration camps. When the Germans aren't sending their own great-grandfathers to jail, they can usually be found on the street loudly protesting the evils of anti-Semitism, hoisting aloft the Israeli flag because, you know, the Jewish religion and the Jewish State are in fact the very same thing, undifferentiable, indivisible ...

With liberty and justice for all!

At least there's no shortage of comedy in the news:

The PC Police Strike in Illinois!

Comment

Well, so much for that.
        Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Yep, looks like they're staying in the Empire.
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

From a completely selfish viewpoint, I was hoping things would get really interesting. It's also nice when some territory changes hands without a lot of people having to die first. Precedent and so forth.

Still some significant, controversial concessions promised at the last minute by Westminster - and not yet delivered - so we do get to watch that play out.
            Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I think you're still seeing some important precedent being set here: namely, the effective use of political leverage to effect non-violent change. It's actually pretty rare to see that happening without all sorts of stalling and heel-dragging on the one side or threats and bellicosity on the other. The fact that it was done through just about the closest thing left resembling direct democracy is an added bonus. If changes aren't made in London, there will always be the possibility of another referendum or at the very least added, effective political pressure in the wake of what has happened here. I'm glad to see this outcome. I think the conscious choice for unity is an important benchmark in the current political climate, especially on such a large scale. I believe we're in a very strange sort of limbo at the moment. Things have developed too far for us to fall back effectively on old ideas about nationhood or tribalism. However, we're also really not ready for all the implications of globalization and I can completely understand why many people voted "yes", what with all the disappointments, undelivered promises, and the fear resulting from the sensation of being on a sinking ship. This is an encouraging development, but I really do hope that Westminster is shaken enough by this entire episode to really rethink certain policies and the direction it will take in the future. If certain huge problems are not addressed, and addressed soon, then I guarantee you there will be more votes like this, in the cases of the more "civilized" corners of the planet, and the escalation of violence in the "uncivilized" places.

Comment

Working...
              Do Not Sell My Personal Information