Bookmarks really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bookmarks really necessary?

I'm considering ripping out the "bookmarks" function for the following reasons:

1. There are only 129 members who have created a total of 476 bookmarks
    2. Every major browser offers bookmarking

Can I whack this feature?

I'm sure some rare person has a use for it. I've never used it. I'll be fine without it. I do use the feature you implemented that links to rooms from the writer's list of room nicknames, though.
    Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I've never used it, so scrapping it wouldn't bother me.
      Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

I use it for stories like HOID where I want to mark places in the story because it's too hard to get there by any other means. Doors with fun names...the current end of the hallway (200+ rooms down)...that sort of thing. Or, in my own stories, where I'm writing a bunch of rooms in a late branch of the story, and it's too annoying to get there manually. It's a good feature, and I like it a lot. However, if you really must kill it, I suppose I can't complain. No one else apparently uses it.

Personally, I use the bookmark feature of my browser sparingly. Going bookmark happy clutters my favorites, and prevents me from finding what I want in an efficient manner. That's the reason I like the site's bookmark option so much.
        Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
        Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
        And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Usoki. I have used them to my advantage before and they've spared me a considerable amount of precious sanity.
          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM.
          My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

I think all current browsers allow you to create a folder. If I was using this feature, I'd have an Infinite Story folder, and then a "Story Bookmarks" folder inside of that. Never have to worry about clutter. I've got probably 500 bookmarks all neatly organized in folders, so I guess it's just a matter of knowing how to use it and then having the discipline to use it.

Let's see what other folks say. Actually, it's not THAT tough of a thing to program, but I'm trying to simplify the site where possible.

Making good progress!

Comment

True, but if I have tons of folders, it's still really cluttered. It's just a clutter of folders instead of a clutter of links. But I'm a minimalist, as far as bookmarks go. That's just my preference.

But, again- in the end, it's your call.
              Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
              Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
              And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I think the bookmarks feature is necessary for some of the mammoth stories on here and I would like to see it stay. But as you said, it can just be bookmarked from the browser anyway.
                The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

It really doesn't matter to me. I used them when i first came on this site but I now just use the browser. cuz it's quicker anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  Do Not Sell My Personal Information