Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratings & Comments: Rewrite

Here is what I'm proposing for ratings and comments for the rewrite:

1. Ratings & comments will not longer be separate.

2. To post a rating/comment will require a valid login.

3. A rating does not require a comment and vice versa, a user can comment without rating.

4. A user can post multiple comments.

5. Will add a "report abuse" feature.

6. A user can change his/her rating, but only the most recent rating will be reflected in the tally. This is a necessary feature considering the fact that stories are always changing -- and hopefully getting better.

Alternatives/Questions:

We show all comments but in the event of a user that has posted more than one rating, do we hide the old ratings from being displayed if they are not being included in tally?

Do we sort comments by date? This makes sense but I like the idea of having multiple comments by a single user clumped together..... gets tricky.

It's late, I need to sleep. Not explaining my ideas very well probably......

The proposition as it stands looks fine to me. One rating per user per story; as it changes, display only the most recent. Sure, sort by date.
    Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Sev,

love the ideas. I would prefer to be able to read older ratings. It would be interesting and rewarding to see ratings improve as more is added to the story. Contrariwise lower ratings would probably be motivators for re-evaluating recent additions.

as for organizing the data, we should ask End, he's the pro. He organizes like it's his job... mostly because it is.

honestly though, anything is fine with me. Thanks for looking into all of this.
      ~Katie
      ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Originally posted by severenz View Post
        Here is what I'm proposing for ratings and comments for the rewrite:

1. Ratings & comments will not longer be separate.

2. To post a rating/comment will require a valid login.

3. A rating does not require a comment and vice versa, a user can comment without rating.

4. A user can post multiple comments.

5. Will add a "report abuse" feature.

6. A user can change his/her rating, but only the most recent rating will be reflected in the tally. This is a necessary feature considering the fact that stories are always changing -- and hopefully getting better.
        All of these are good, but 4-6 are going to be very useful. 6 especially, since you might read a story that's unfinished or has a lot of spelling mistakes, then the author comes back and fixes his story/adds to it. You can change your rating to better reflect this.

Alternatives/Questions:

We show all comments but in the event of a user that has posted more than one rating, do we hide the old ratings from being displayed if they are not being included in tally?

Do we sort comments by date? This makes sense but I like the idea of having multiple comments by a single user clumped together..... gets tricky.

It's late, I need to sleep. Not explaining my ideas very well probably......
        Yeah, I'd say scrap the old rating if it's replaced with a new one. If they aren't being included in the tally any longer then they don't really need to be displayed.

Sorting comments by date so that the most recent one is at the top of the list I would think works the best. I would also propose the option of the author of the story being able to use the comment option so that he can respond to other people's comments if he wants to. Obviously he still shouldn't be able to rate his own story though.
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Yeah, please keep the threat pertinent to the Ratings/Comments please. I'll revisit the Best Of when the time comes.

Thanks.

Comment

I love the fact that we'll be able to edit our old ratings. And, yes, when we do so, the old number should go away. It's not hard to do (I think), and it'll save a lot of confusion down the road.

As far as an ordering system...I think by date is the best. That way, it's easy to see which comments are new and which comments are not. You read until you start seeing comments you remember reading. Taa-daa! If you sort it by person, you might never notice that one of the first people to rate your story has written an additional comment. And, frankly, if you want to see comments written by a certain person, and you're too lazy to scroll down a list to read those comments... I don't even know. But yeah.

As far as "report abuse" goes...will all reports go straight to you? Or do 'x' number of people need to report the abuse before you see it?
            Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
            Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
            And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Late to the game, but I just wanted to add my voice to the group saying that this sounds good Severenz. I am really glad to see the ability to change ratings is part of it, that has been a long time coming.
              Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

I'm loving the idea of a report abuse feature.
                Click it now.

Comment

Working...
                Do Not Sell My Personal Information