New categories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New categories?

Would it be possible to add a few non-interactive categories? Like novels and shit?

Or even just a 'linear' would work. I've been working on a few novels, and I'm pretty sure I've talked to a few people who were interested in writing linear stories.

Would anyone be opposed to this?
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Wow, I've been secretly hoping for this for a long time actually!

It could definitely be a side dish in order to keep the main emphasis of the site on CYOA, but this is a really REALLY superduper awesome idea from the Poopster.

Could "linear" just be tucked in as a genre?
    Last edited by Vesnic; 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM.
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Totally awesome!
      Devils are the bagel's favourite breakfast food!

Comment

For the sake of being argumentative, I'd still suggest this addition before that automatic coding conversion one. Sheesh! Now we're too lazy to write a couple of brackets and slashes? Usually what I do is I write it in word with all the code, then paste it on the site, then copy the content from my new page and put it back into word, and tadaa! The italics are italicized! The bolds are bolded!

Poop probably hates me now.
        Last edited by Vesnic; 10-13-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Michael's statement seconded.
          Devils are the bagel's favourite breakfast food!

Comment

When you type something in Word, don't italicize it- put in the code for italics. Word won't recognize it, so the code will be left alone. Then, when you paste it into this site, there won't be any wonky auto-adjust formatting going on- and it will recognize your code and format it the way you coded it. Then, copy what you see on the site, and paste that into Word- the formatting will keep.

That's what Ves said.
            Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
            Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
            And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Of course code still works here. That method is for people like Ves and DEP and End and whoever else, who prefer to type stories in Word instead of the little IS box.
              Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
              Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
              And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I write everything on Word first. It's visually more appealing and there's that great little thing called auto-save in case Zeus sends his bolt directly into my electrical system.
                Last edited by Vesnic; 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Wow. Off-topic much? It's a pain in the ass to copy/paste from word when you have several portions that are italicized. And yes, I could include the coding on Word, but then it would look stupid as shit when I print it out.

But wait... this is the 'new categories' thread, isnt' it?

Comment

I hate to go against the Poopster and say I agree with the nay sayers here. This site is about non-linear stories. There are a million sites out there for posting linear writings of all kinds. This place is different and should remain so (even though you can do a linear story here just not giving more than one choice, it's not the spirit of the site).
                    Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Hmm, yeah, maybe the linear ones would begin to take over if they were offered as a concrete option, and Drag makes a good point that there are tons of other places to post linear works...

Waffle waffle.

Who wants maple syrup with those?
                      Last edited by Vesnic; 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Most of the 'tons of other sites' either cost money or have a shit community. We have cool people here, honest no-bs feedback, and a solid talent pool; three more things that most of those other sites lack. I also think that this option will lead to more traffic, potentially; and expose more people to the interactive fiction genre (especially with the emphasis of the site continuing to focus on interactive stories).

Comment

Indeed, Poop is right!

WAFFLE WAFFLE!

I'm having you for breakfast!
                          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesnic View Post
                            Indeed, Poop is right!

WAFFLE WAFFLE!

I'm having you for breakfast!
                            Maybe you mean 'pancake pancake!'.

Because people flip them.

Comment

Wow, I haven't had a Poop sting like that since I ate those tacks back in grade school.
                              Last edited by Vesnic; 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information