invalid room nickname

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• invalid room nickname

This is probably a result of all the site overhauls I've been reading about in the forums, but I haven't actually seen it mentioned anywhere.

Whenever I try to add a room to a story, I get the message "Invalid nickname/room id" for whatever room choices I'm adding, regardless of what characters I include in the nickname (letters, numbers, spaces, no spaces, any combination of these).

Anyway I'm just wondering what's up with that.

mike

I'm pretty sure you're actually just falling victim to a very big misconception. Are you putting the nickname in the box below the story, or the boxes next to the choices?

See, when you write a room, you can also give it a nickname so you can link back to it later. Otherwise, they're wholy unnecessary, and many people don't bother. And since you can link with room numbers instead of nicknames, even people who do link don't bother. But the point is, you must assign the room its nickname as you're writing the room.

When you put a nickname into the box next to the choices, you are saying that you want the option to link directly to that room. In other words, you must link to rooms that exist. If you're trying to name your room in advance, what you're actually doing is telling the system to link the choice to something that doesn't exist.
    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

What Usoki said. Just leave the "nickname" boxes blank and you'll have no problems.
      The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Wow, I'm a moron!

Yeah I just got back from work, figured this out and came back to the forums to tell people not to waste their time, but too late.

On a side note, I'm sure there are probably other people as dumb as me somewhere in the galaxy, so I was thinking maybe a FAQ addition or forum sticky for new people encountering the same problem? I looked but couldn't find one concerning this topic. Granted it's pretty common sense, so that's just a friendly suggestion.

Comment

Wow, I'm an even bigger moron!

Originally posted by sandwich View Post
          Yeah I just got back from work, figured this out and came back to the forums to tell people not to waste their time, but too late.

On a side note, I'm sure there are probably other people as dumb as me somewhere in the galaxy, so I was thinking maybe a FAQ addition or forum sticky for new people encountering the same problem? I looked but couldn't find one concerning this topic. Granted it's pretty common sense, so that's just a friendly suggestion.
          It actually details this exact situation right above the room choice dialog. I win forever.

Comment

This is eaxctlu why I don't generally talk to food.
            The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Yeah, last time this problem popped up, it took forever to fix. It took us a while to figure out just how the guy was screwing the process up. He insisted that using nicknames prevented him from creating a room, and he refused to explain himself in any details beyond that.

At least you're looking through the FAQ and the old forum posts before asking. Most people don't even do that much. You're definitely a newbie, not a n00b.
              Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
              Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
              And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Well anyway thanks for your patience and such

I've got my junk set up and I've started to contribute a tiny little bit; I think the concept this place is built on is super awesome, I've been looking for something like this for months but most of the sites I've been to are dead or dying

back to writing, woo

Comment

Working...
                Do Not Sell My Personal Information