Old Forums Archive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Forums Archive?

I know most of you will probably say yes, but is it really worth my time?

Are there really important threads on the old archives?

The only area I can think that might be worth saving would be newbies, but even then, it's just a lot of work.

Personally I don't care, but how hard would it be to keep the old forums just as they are now (but locked and only accessible through an archive link)? No extra work really needed to move it over to this or create some new program to house it. Just leave it as a dead archive of what was (and explain as much on the link to it).
    Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

I say no. Don't waste your time with crap like that. The forums are full of long expired debates, flame wars, and suggestions that have either been implemented or won't be implemented (not that I'm giving up on my weighted rating campaign). If you choose not to archive them, would you let us know before you do it?

The only thing worth a damn in there is the Infinite Writing Tournament discussion and winner announcements. I'd like to keep those, but could easily start a 'recap of past tournaments' thread over here.

There were some other amusing things over there, but nothing worth archiving (in my opinion).
      The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

It is now Year Zero.

Nuke it all!

(Yeah, get rid of it)
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

I implore you to keep the old forums. Just leave them up as a relic. It shouldn't be much work to do that... right? And server space should be minimal as well since it is all text...
          Click it now.

Comment

Some of the DEP's Fantasy Project threads have things I'd wanna save, and DEP's got a point with the tournament things...but, truely, I don't see why they need to be saved. Apoth can want them saved all he wants, but there's just no reason for it...
            Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
            Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
            And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

If it were any other forum, I would say burn them... but more than any other forum a lot of the posts here have a lot of work and thought put into them. Not all of them of course, but a good number. I really feel it would be an injustice if they were not preserved. If it is a matter of server space, I will host the file myself.
              Click it now.

Comment

We can easily save the good ones on word and copy/paste them to a new forum thread called Relics or Discussions of the Ancients.

Unless it's your wordcount that you are worried about.

Comment

The problem with keeping it online is that I'd have to keep that code base and server running as is. I have converted all of my sites to PHP and they are running on server #2. IS is the last of the sites to be converted -- and the one with the most custom code.

I wish to rebuild the current server that IS is running on and have it be my database server.

Otherwise, I'd just say, let it be. I've already locked it so no new threads/replies can be posted.

Sounds like removing the link is okay with most people.

Comment

Could I just get a copy of the data from the old forum them?

EDIT: I just want to say... In my honest state... I feel we sunk so many hours into that old forum it would be so depressing to simply delete it. We really should have some sort of back up for the comfort of knowing it is not all in vein. Thank you Sev for hosting this site... and I hope you don't delete all of the old forums... that would make me sad.
                    Last edited by apotheosis; 07-30-2007, 01:27 AM.
                    Click it now.

Comment

I grabbed all threads/info that I thought was important from the old forums and posted them on here. So as far as I am concerned, delete when ready. Apotheosis, if there is anything noteworthy you would like to keep on the active forums, I recommend you do the same.

While you are right we spent hours posting in those forums, I think most of us will agree that the hours were spent with jack-assery.

Comment

It shouldn't be to hard to just back up the entire thing as one file....
                        Click it now.

Comment

To do it right, it's probably a 2-hour job. If you guys can round up some donations, I'll put it towards this project.

Comment

Hmmm.... I think I'd be the only person willing to donate towards that so it's probably not going to work. If you can leave it up for a couple more days, give me a chance to talk to Ross and make sure he doesn't know of any super quick ways to save it. If not... then I suppose we shall all say farewell to the old forums.
                            Click it now.

Comment

Working...
                            Do Not Sell My Personal Information