Room Looping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room Looping

1. Do folks actually use the third method for continuation of a story - simply linking to another room? If I'm not mistaken, this is the same as a choice with a room id only you can do it later. Keep in mind that this only applies to non-owners on a story since owners can fully edit their rooms.

2. Should submitters be allowed to create nicknames in stories? Should there be a flag at the story level to allow or disallow this?

3. Should room looping really be available to submitters?

Thanks guys

1) I've used that a lot, simply because there is currently no way to redirect the hyperlink of a room once it's been made. If you don't have the destination made before you make the hyperlink, you either need to use that, or a lot of severed room deletion tricks. I haven't messed around in the Alpha- but as long as the destination can be edited, and not just the choice text, then it would indeed be redundant.

2) If people were writing a collaberative work, I can see how it would be useful. But there should definitely be a flag for this, defaulted to 'no'. In most instances, it won't be necessary- if the submitter wants to do some linking, then he can just work it out with the room ID.

3) As long as it's up to approval... I would say yes. There have been several times where I've wished I could create links in other people's stories- sometimes just back to rooms I created, but also to rooms the author made.
    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Usoki View Post
      1) I've used that a lot, simply because there is currently no way to redirect the hyperlink of a room once it's been made. If you don't have the destination made before you make the hyperlink, you either need to use that, or a lot of severed room deletion tricks. I haven't messed around in the Alpha- but as long as the destination can be edited, and not just the choice text, then it would indeed be redundant.
      Since this only applies to existing rooms, the "full editing" should be sufficient for these purposes. And I don't think it makes the process any more difficult. FWIW, I don't consider that function a submission anyway. The user doesn't upload an image or write a room description. It really is a modification of an existing room.

1)
      2) If people were writing a collaberative work, I can see how it would be useful. But there should definitely be a flag for this, defaulted to 'no'. In most instances, it won't be necessary- if the submitter wants to do some linking, then he can just work it out with the room ID.
      Flag could be "allow others to nickname rooms"

1)
      3) As long as it's up to approval... I would say yes. There have been several times where I've wished I could create links in other people's stories- sometimes just back to rooms I created, but also to rooms the author made.
      Fair enough, I will leave that in. There is already a story setting to control whether submissions can do room linking.

Comment

Related to this is an idea to add to add to the permissions engine. Imagine the following:

Block: Can't read or write
        Read: Can read
        Write: Can Submit New Rooms
        Editor: Can Submit New rooms and modify existing rooms (review submissions?)
        Admin: Mimics owner's permissions, edit story settings, etc

Do a lot of folks use the permissions engine to collaborate on private stories?

Comment

I haven't done much collaborative work, but for those that do, I can see how being able to establish someone(s) as an editor would be insanely useful. I also remember Apoth mentioning that he's blocked someone on several occasions.

I don't see how the Admin setting would ever be useful. Admittedly, this is me not wanting to give up control over that sort of thing, but... I don't see why multiple people would need to be able to edit that. I mean, how often do those settings get changed? I feel like if anyone wants those settings to be editted, you just need to suck it up and ask the story's owner.
          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Thanks Usoki for taking the time to share your usage scenarios and opinions.

Are there any collaborators out there that use the permission features quite a bit?

Would allowing a user to review rooms (in your absence?) and modify existing rooms be useful?

I don't think allowing a user to only edit their own rooms much makes sense, fwiw.

Comment

As someone who's added to antoher persons story and emailed them half a bajillion times to edit; I can see how being able to edit my own room in his story would have been waaay less annoying for him. But that would be with your Editor option.

I agree, I don't see the need for the option of editing only.
              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Working...
              Do Not Sell My Personal Information