Word copy/paste error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word copy/paste error

Sent this to Sev through the "contact infinite story", but I'm posting it here just in case that didn't get through.

Here's an example of an old story that changed to weird characters when I tried to modify it.

http://www.infinite-story.com/story/room.php?id=81081

All the text showed up okay until I attempted to edit it, I encountered this when before when trying to edit another page of an old story of mine (Which I fixed manually) so I'd guess that other stories with old copy/pasted Word pages are like this.

This is an example of a new (test) story with text transferred from Word.

http://www.infinite-story.com/story/room.php?id=88620

Copy/pasting text into the box displays no problems, but after saving the room causes the odd characters to show up.

I've tested this on a Mac and a PC (Safari, Firefox and Explorer)
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

It looks like you may have Word set to use "curly quotes" for all quotes and apostrophes (which is often default these days). This can cause some strange characters to show up when interfacing between systems using different key sets (like ASCII vs. Unicode). This type of error happens less often these days, but Microsoft is notorious for sticking to the non-standard ways of doing things, so it could be because of them.

I don't use the curly quotes setting any more in word because this used to be a huge problem back in the early days of the internet and I got used to keeping it deactivated.

Wonder if they work here in the forums...

Standard: " '
    Curly: “ ‘ ” ’

Looks like they do on this end.
    Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Guys - I had to deal with these EXTENDED ascii characters before I went live with new site. They are all in the database but being properly entified now.

It sounds like the site doesn't handle new submissions of this very well.

There are other characters I found in the existing rooms all from msword - mdash for example.

I'll take a look at this issue and hopefully resolve it.

Comment

Working...
      Do Not Sell My Personal Information