Traditional Storytelling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Storytelling.

Snapsunny brought it up again, the idea of more traditional writing; short stories, novels, etc. I bounced it off of severenz and he seems to dig it. So I wanted to open a discussion specifically on the topic. I would have just used Snapsunny's original thread, but that had a lot of different things going on; this thread will be dedicated to the above topic.

So thoughts?
    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

I don't have a problem with it. There are already some stories on here that are practically like traditional stories anyway.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

I'd have no problem with this, but of course there's nothing with the way the site currently works stopping people from doing this already. Like Endmaster said, a lot of the stories currently here are linear anyway. (though it would be nice to be able to do away with the 'click three different blank links until you find the one that continues the story' reading mini-game we have now)

Not that I ever read anything on this site anymore anyway, I'm so over you guys.

Comment

I think my reaction would really depend on the execution. Like we all know, all you'd have to do is start posting a chain on one-option rooms. And since there's nothing preventing this from happening, it really just becomes a matter of making this an 'acceptable' thing to do. Well, and maybe rethinking how the '20 room visible' rule would work for linear stories. As far as how much it would be used... I might throw out a few linear short story fragments, but none of my novel fragments would make it online- I'm protective to the point of paranoia with them.

If it were me, I'd just create a new genre labeled "linear" and call it good. I don't think these stories would suffer from not being labeled 'fantasy' or 'sci fi'. You can usually tell what genre a story is going to be from the title, and to be honest we have a lot of genres that never really get used anyway. I'd much rather make the effort to isolate the linear stories than have them be properly genre-labeled and mixed in with the CYOA.

If the linear did get mixed in with the CYOA, (which despite my "I hate change" cranky attitude, I admit this would probably be for the best) I'd like to see a "Is this story linear, y/n?" question during creation, so that the linear stories can get flagged with a special icon, not unlike the red square from back in the day. That way, you still have the linear and CYOA stuff separate. Anything more than that would probably irritate me. I mean, if I wanted to IS to have features from some other writing site, I would just go an join some other writing site. Besides, I would guess that Sev has better things to do than to recode the wheel.
        Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
        Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
        And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I am a traditionalist, so I vote yea to linear stories! As my second-grade writing teacher (who just happened to be a cow, but a wise one indeed) told me, "A story must have a beginning, a middle and an end." It is for this reason that I often feel a bit naughty writing Choosies. They're a sort of gateway drug into the fearsome and chaotic world of performance art and experimental theater! What's wrong with a good ole' production of A Christmas Carol? Even Scrooge gets bounced back and forth through time and by the end of it is so fed up with all this bouncing, he proclaims, "Put me down, good spirit, for my bum-bum is sore and I promise to be strictly linear from now on!" Or I think that's how it went...

Bear votes YES on linear stories.
          Semper urso

Comment

I like Usoki's suggestion. Adding a 'linear' checkbox or genre option seems like a nice low effort way to achieve pretty much the same results as coding in a whole new category and addressing the 20 rooms issue and all that, and I assume if he felt like getting all crazy with new features there are other areas of the site that could use Sev's attention more.

I'm actually amember of a different 'traditional' writing site already where you get lots of reviews from people who (mostly) aren't idiots, though I might post any bits and pieces I'm not super serious about here, and probably more often then I post CYOAs...which I get is is not really saying much when I have an empty profile but whatever.

Comment

In my head all genre categories remain the same; but there will be a main category of "Traditional" and "Infinite" or something like that. And then you pick sci-fi, action, fantasy, romance, etc. Not that I can promise it working like that; since that's severenz's bit; but I think that would be the best way to go about it.

That would also allow for both sections to be easily navigated, and allow readers to find exactly-ish what they're looking for faster.
              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Working...
              Do Not Sell My Personal Information