No announcement yet.

Iwt6 results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha. I don't know if I could pull it off myself, but there are certainly people on this site who make a pretty hilarious story out of that.

To clarify, I probably shouldn't have used the word "base". I just meant the story had to include someone from the forums, even if it is in a somewhat surreal way. For instance, you could write "ChubbyTeletubby in Wonderland" or "MichaelRayHolt gets a Date with an Online Stranger" or "Megaman gets Kidnapped".

I'm honestly not big on the theme, though. I just wanted to throw out a bunch of different things.

[EDIT]

By the way, how's that Calculus going? Are you taking Multivariable yet?
    Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 02-12-2010, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I'm drawing a complete blank on DEP's unfinished fantasy theme. What's that about again???

I loved the idea of a myth theme last year, and I love it all over again this year.

The idea of doing infinite-centric stories isn't bad. Though, I think we might get a better turn out,- and add some "non-fiction" to the site if we made the theme Autobiography.

I also like the idea of doing a twist on a familiar story.

Some other ideas:

Save the World/Save the Universe

Criminal Misadventures

Urban Fantasy

Mystery
      ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Autobiography?! So I take it that means you just make up a bunch of stuff about your life? Heh, it sounds interesting...

Urban Fantasy sounds badass, too.

I think there's some potential in Mystery, as well... although we do have quite a few of those as it is -- Jeff's "Draco Chronic" series comes to mind.
        Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 02-12-2010, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Urban Fantasy sounds very badass.

I've just never been big on the myth theme. I wasn't aware we had many mystery stories at all- I would think they would be rather difficult to do in a CYOA format- especially since I would want to have variables. That, and you have no way of knowing if the reader actually figured it out, or if he's just clicking random links.
          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Sounds like Urban Fantasy is something most are interested in and it's not something I'm opposed to.

I'll leave it open to a few more suggestions from others before making an official announcement thread.
            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Oh, and if anyone's "kind of" thinking about entering this one, but doesn't want to have to do a bunch of writing, I'm totally open to doing a co-op story. I probably won't be able to write except over the summer, so I'd actually rather find someone who wants to do that.

Comment

I'm on board with "Urban Fantasy" as well.
                Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Have we gotten our critique comments yet? The feedback whore in me is going nuts.
                  Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                  Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                  And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I haven't received any yet, either. My guess is that Apoth will probably have them out sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Apoth doesn't care! He just doesn't care!

Comment

Sorry. I was going to make up an elaborate excuse for why I haven't sent them out yet, but lets just go with I don't care.

Anyway, one question I have before I send them out is, should I send them along with the individual ratings the person gave? Many people gave a comment on each category regarding why they gave the rating they did. The issue is, it will be really easy to figure out who wrote what comments since there were so few raters, so if I do send the ratings you will probably know who gave them.

So, before I send them out, what is the consensus? Should I send just word comments, or comments along with ratings?
                        Click it now.

Comment

I can already pretty much guess who rated what stories what and me and End as good as told everyone what we gave them, so I'd say "with ratings".

Comment

Okay, I'll be sending them out in the next 3 minutes. I'm letting Ryan speak for all of you regarding the ratings, so hopefully his opinions reflect yours.
                            Click it now.

Comment

Seriously, thanks for doing the number-crunching Apoth.

And so... IWT6 is officially over.

Comment

I'll just address this one comment quickly.

Your usual strength is in making a story "epic" as it progresses over time, combining immediate events with things moving on a grand scale in the background, and though I don't see quite as much of that here so far (I keep wondering if you'll surpass "Ground Zero" or "Necromancer" again on that score), it's still pretty entertaining. I definitely enjoyed this, though not as much as the other two I mentioned.

Primal is certainly an attempt at reaching Ground Zero or Necromancer level of "epicness". (More like GZ than Necro though) like I said it's barely finished though.

There are actually 3 major story branches based mainly on what happens near the beginning during the streg hunt. The only one that was semi-written out was the "Path of the Protector" and it goes on much longer than what I already wrote.

"Path of the Fisher" occurs when you stay in the village instead of following your dad. He ends up dying during the hunt which results in you pursuing life as a fisherman instead.

"Path of the Umlabo" occurs when you run from the streg in the beginning. This results in you getting away, but becoming lost and ultimately getting captured by the Umlabo, who will adopt you as one of their own which will completely change the point of view of the story.

There are also a few secrets that can be learned in certain story branches. (Even a "fourth path")

Certain planned events occur mainly based on your character's age at the time. Some of course might not happen depending what choice you made earlier and in many cases, the story will end a lot sooner if you haven't done a certain action. For example, the Zolos will ALWAYS take over the island by the time you're 30 (20 years passed on the island) unless you've taken some sort of major steps to prevent that from happening. (And failing to do so usually results in a bad end for you)

Lots of other things as well. Hopefully one day, I can complete this one.
                                Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information