I have a suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a suggestion

Given that I tend to have inspirational/completion problems with infinite stories... I was wondering if someone would like to try working on an infinite story with me. As in co-writing one. It might be worth a try

I've already started one, and I'm usually a lazy writer as it is, but I've been wanting to try co-authoring for a while now (the last attempt was with MRH... don't ask). So if you want to start a story, I'll be glad to add on it when I can, Cat.

Comment

What sort of story are you interested in working on? (I really want to try a horror, but I don't want to start something that's going to be boring for either of us)

Comment

I guess I'm not particularly interested in anything... The story I'm writing right now is kinda in the horror genre, too, so working on two with similar styles would probably be easier on me.

I just figured you would make the first room and I would just kind of try to follow your style. Then, if you have any plot points or anything that you wanted in there, you could always email me or whatever.

Comment

We could do it that way... but would it be simpler to work out - at least partly - some of the details before starting work? Otherwise, we may end up burning out partway through. If that makes sense.

Comment

Haha, alright. I usually do just the opposite and deliberately try not to think about what I'm writing, but I'll be glad to try it this way. Do you have any ideas for it yet, or should we just kinda brainstorm for a few days?

(Lol. Brainstorm.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois View Post
              Haha, alright. I usually do just the opposite and deliberately try not to think about what I'm writing, but I'll be glad to try it this way. Do you have any ideas for it yet, or should we just kinda brainstorm for a few days?

(Lol. Brainstorm.)
              I'll have you know....
              How we paid such close attention
              To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

You could put blood in it.

Just throwing that out there.
                The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I think I'll pass... The last time I read a story involving blood, the (clearly perverted) author had a vampire drinking "tampon tea".

Couldn't stomach iced tea for weeks after that one.

Comment

I wouldn't be opposed to working on a humor collab with someone- humor is what comes most naturally to me, and I've been meaning to start writing more frequently. In theory, having an actual person depending on my work would pressure me into actually producing content.

It also might jumpstart a few of my own ideas- everything I've considered for this contest ends up being focused on the person or the business/guild to the point that the city is a meaningless backdrop.
                    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Guys... it's happening again... He's trying to communicate from beyond this realm... No, Crunchy! Leave me alone! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!

....NO! Not again!

Blah.

Originally posted by Crunchyfrog

I have a suggestion to make, which is a sort of part CYOA, part collaboration. It involves multiple input for inspiration, but the author still does the actual story writing. Basically, you write the first chapter, and then throw the door open to others to suggest what the main character's choices should be. Then you write the second chapter based on the most popular choice.

The idea is that you get the inspiration from the suggestions, and your participants get to experience the story as if it were a CYOA except that they are influencing its outcome live.

It's proved to be a reasonably successful form of writing in the past, (I'm aware of at least 4 of these works that have been published now) and I've managed to almost complete an 85,000 work using this process. Of course that means only one path gets written - the others don't get developed.

However, now I'm getting to the end of my first draft I've often wondered how my story would have gone if I'd have written branches from all the suggestions, and I guess this is why the CYOA style of writing fascinates me so much right now.

One path of my IWT entry is being developed in this collaborative way involving 3 other people, and it is already taking the path off in a direction I'd never even have dreamed of.

So if its inspiration from collaboration you're looking for, then writing one path in this way might be worth a try. Cat - or anybody, in fact, if you're interested in giving it a go, lemme know.

My IWT entry - 11 rooms and growing!
                      Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if we should be taking suggestions from possessed people...

And I really like the idea of an collaborative story with anyone on the forum (and any crunchy amphibious spirit entities that might be around) just tossing in a chapter or three whenever the mood strikes them. No fancy rules and none of that 'planning' stuff, besides maybe deciding on a genre. (And heck, if we can't agree on anything let that be the choice in the first room.)

Online CYOAs to me were never meant to be written by just one person anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois View Post
                          I think I'll pass... The last time I read a story involving blood, the (clearly perverted) author had a vampire drinking "tampon tea".

Couldn't stomach iced tea for weeks after that one.
                          lol. Reunion for the win.
                          The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Is this a contest story or just a regular project? If its a contest story, I'm just wondering if it wins, who's going to decide which one of you dictates the guidelines for the next contest.

I guess you guys will figure something out though.
                            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

The co-op stories raise a lot of questions... For instance, should me and Cat only get one vote as judges? If we end up winning, I guess what we could end up doing to decide on the next theme would be to do a poll.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information