No announcement yet.

IWT8: Science Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started my story and I have a few rough pages up in private. I'm having fun, but editing requires some experimentation.

Also, anyone know why my room nicknames apparently read as "errors"? I thought maybe it rejects them based on size, but smaller versions didn't take either, then I thought maybe it rejects words that aren't "real," but I've seen enough instances in other stories to disprove that, so... I'm stumped. I was able to nickname my first page, but not any others since.

Comment

If you're trying to nickname your choices, what you're actually doing is telling the choice to link to a room with that nickname, which in your case doesn't exist.

I just tried creating a room, and nicknaming that room on its creation page worked fine. I obviously haven't messed around with it as much as the others, but to my knowledge, that's the only place you can nickname it (the box just below the "room description" section where the actual text goes).
      Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Okay, so a page has to actually already exist to name it? Got it. Maybe this problem can be fixed after those ones are made then during editing. We'll see.

EDIT: Yeah, that looks to be the case. Thanks, Locke.
        Last edited by dreamshell; 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Now with the Infinite Story updates in place, the stakes to win the IWT8 are higher than ever!

Well not really, but you still wouldn't want to suffer SHAME on a nice upgraded site would you?
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

"Ninja Lengend" is finally off the front page. Looks slick.
            Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I don't know who is in charge of these contests, but I'd be happy to advertise them on the website.

It would be nice to have all rules of the competition posted. And, if possible a list of winners from past contests.

I may be able to cook up a special engine to take "votes" or however you guys determine the winners.

Comment

Originally posted by severenz View Post
                I don't know who is in charge of these contests, but I'd be happy to advertise them on the website.

It would be nice to have all rules of the competition posted. And, if possible a list of winners from past contests.

I may be able to cook up a special engine to take "votes" or however you guys determine the winners.
                That would be awesome. Right now it's kind of a torch that we pass, whoever wins this one chooses the theme and due date of the next one. (though often the theme is left up to vote).

If no one beats me to it, I'll get a copy of the rules and grading scale we've been using... tonight or tomorrow or one of these nights. lol.
                The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

I realy need to start working on my story. So far I have about two paragraphs written in the wrong format and a few ideas about what I want to do with it.

Comment

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've been picking a few themes, hammering out a possible plotline... and then once I see the huge gaping holes in either the plot or the setting, I have to scrap it. Well, except for the one which could be good, but requires me to be way too mopey and emo in order to set the tone right.

I guess it's time to pick some new tropes. Again.
                    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Some dude named Zac just signed up for the contest. Says he tried to post on the forums, but he couldn't, so DEP can go ahead and buzz Zac in whenever he gets around to it.

Comment

I have not yet seen a Zac register. If you're talking to him on the main site, ask him to register. Maybe he isn't aware that the forums have to be registered for seperately.

Comment

Suddenly I feel better about the outline and seven whole chapters I have completed.

Comment

Rules Lawyering Time

This is basically to everybody, but remember if you want to recycle/re-edit an old story you were working on and never published that's fine but make sure ALL the rooms in it were created from THIS YEAR and AFTER the contest announcement. (Feb 14) or else it won't count.
                            Last edited by End Master; 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

While I do plan on my story being more than 20 rooms, the first room was completely edited. It used to be a "You're dead" room from some ancient game we played in the old forums. It's been comepletely changed to what is now in it. But the creation date is from a few years ago.

With that in mind, does my opening room count towards the twenty or do I have to exclude it from my count?

Comment

I guess that could work the way you said it. Excluding the rooms that are old and not counting them towards the 20 would be easier than deleting your stuff and recopying the room.

Really I wasn't concerned so much with yours since I figured you had only one room and you were changing it anyway. Zac on the other hand was submitting a story with 18 old rooms. I thought it was a brand new story since I hadn't seen it before, but it turned out he had written something last year and was submitting the story now.

Taking into consideration that he's new to the contests, I didn't want to just turn him away, so I told him that if he did something about the old rooms he could submit what he's got. Given that he's written over 200 new rooms, I guess a case can be made that his story could be submitted since he wrote most of it this year.

Hell, if we let Xnull submit a story with less than 20 rooms one year, we can make an exception this year as well.

EDIT: Zac is saying he's having trouble even getting on the forums, I told him to contact you directly on the mainsite's PMs.
                                Last edited by End Master; 10-18-2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information