No announcement yet.

HOID sucks and is gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I see is an option for 'Allow Settings', no details or anything.

Otherwise, you might be literally the only person here who has random authors adding to one of your stories so I don't know if anyone can really help you.

Also, IMPORTANT INTERDIMENSIONAL LIBRARY RELATED QUESTION: Do you guys still have any of your old fanfic still sitting on their computers, terrible or otherwise? (I know you wrote it high school instead of being a cool person or dating, don't lie.) I'm devoting an area to the stuff and I need to know what movies/books/games to include.

Comment

Honest and truly, I have never actually written fan-fic. I was usually too busy making up my own crap to bother wasting my plot ideas on someone else's setting. I can come up with characters and settings out the ass... plot not so much.

I did threaten to write a few bits of Harry Potter fanfic back in the day, though. I never got around to it, but if I did write any, that's where it'd be set. I say 'threaten' because it's all about the horrific shock value of the 'shipping. Sadly, though, the ideas are too awesome to ever be written in such a way that the result exceeds the expectation. Poor McGonagal x Crookshanks slash...
      Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
      Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
      And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I guess I can admit it. The first thing I ever wrote and put online was ...uh, Digimon fanfiction. I wrote a fair amount of ReBoot, too. I thought it was all great stuff, and that I was God's own gift to the fandom.

Some of it actually is cringe-worthy (I'm reading through it now). The humor is more or less intact, but writing dialogue, or a relationship, was apparently beyond me.

A review I got for one of my first stories (from "Rachel, Queen of Writing") read

I like the idea of this story, but hate how you wrote it. Get a better writing style, buddy.
        So I went off on her for about two pages, which is what I used to do when something pissed me off online. This was before everyone's attention span shrank to the size of a Twitter post, so sometimes I got responses.

I was going through kind of a nerd phase, and finding/downloading videos on the internet had just become possible (Youtube was a long way off), so I spent a lot of time procrastinating, watching Evangelion, Escaflowne, all the old stereotypical anime.

I signed up for mailing lists, spent more time on the ReBoot message boards than I care to think about... it was good, I guess.

It was back in the day when Napster had just gone down, and if you wanted music videos, you had to download them on something like BearShare or Kazaa, or get it from Yahoo (I think the service was called Launch), so watching videos on a computer at all was sort of awesome.

I'd just got a recordable CD drive (I think it maxed out at 8x - might've been 16x, but seems like I got errors if I tried to go that fast), which pretty much blew my mind; it was an upgrade from the headphone jack to the back of a tape recorder deck - which my parents got to shut me up, because before that, I'd just crank the sound as high as it would go and stick an old tape recorder in front of the speaker.

I remember when spending 20 minutes downloading a three minute song was fast. That was still preferable to recording it off the radio, which beat the hell out buying it. My parents used to give me a hard time over filesharing. I was putting the family at risk, I was going to get sued or put in prison, whatever. They grounded me for nine weeks for getting a C, though (this was before they'd given up on me entirely), so downloading stuff when they weren't around was the only entertainment I had.

Nostalgia

Random nostalgia.

The game in the first image played on DOS.

Anyway, Mizal, I looked for your story, but there doesn't seem to be a search function, your member name isn't clickable, and it doesn't appear where it seems it should under 'I' (or 'T' if you decided to be pretentious and start with "the"). A casual Google search doesn't turn anything up, so I'm guessing it's not public yet.

...the Interdimensional Library isn't 'Infinite', is it? So it's probably already inside the Hall of Infinite Doors somewhere, if you wander around long enough.
        Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
          Also, IMPORTANT INTERDIMENSIONAL LIBRARY RELATED QUESTION: Do you guys still have any of your old fanfic still sitting on their computers, terrible or otherwise? (I know you wrote it high school instead of being a cool person or dating, don't lie.) I'm devoting an area to the stuff and I need to know what movies/books/games to include.
          Yeah like Usoki, I've never written fanfic either. The only stuff I wrote in high school were sex stories about various girls I went to class with or insulting stories about various people I didn't care for and most of the time I combined the two.

While I still wasn't cool and nowadays some shit like that would undoubtedly get me thrown in jail for being a potential school shooter/sexual predator, the positive reaction of my classmates and the comparisons to Hitler by the Vice Principle were at least an indication that I carved out a niche of being a funny guy.

Also are the statistics still broken?
          Yep, the stats and ratings are still broken and don't update.
          Last edited by End Master; 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM.
          Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Locke View Post
            Anyway, Mizal, I looked for your story, but there doesn't seem to be a search function, your member name isn't clickable, and it doesn't appear where it seems it should under 'I' (or 'T' if you decided to be pretentious and start with "the"). A casual Google search doesn't turn anything up, so I'm guessing it's not public yet.
            Yeah, it's still private while I get it ready. It's probably not going to be 'infinite', no, but ridiculously large all the same. (And likely to remain mostly empty for a good long while as the site doesn't seem all that active anymore, and I'm enough of a grammar snob that I'm going to be enforcing a little quality control even if it drives off every single potential contributor.)

The idea is that you walk from room to room, the rooms contain shelves, and the shelves contain books to write in that I'm rapidly running out of adjectives for. (thankfully I just discovered a random book title generator that I'll probably get a lot of use out of) There will also be random objects and people here to serve as potential story hooks if anyone wants to go there.

And yes, I will be cleaning up and converting my own original Lion King and Mega Man and Redwall and Stargate fanfic to a vaguely CYOA-ish format, assuming I can find any that's salvageable at all. (I was a lonely child okay, don't judge me.)

I've always thought a Carmen Sandiego game would work really well as a CYOA so there might eventually be that too.

...the Interdimensional Library isn't 'Infinite', is it? So it's probably already inside the Hall of Infinite Doors somewhere, if you wander around long enough.

...you just gave me an idea. (for free advertising, sucker)

Comment

Also I thought I was getting the crap spammed out of me when I checked my email and saw 200 new messages. Turns out IS was just helpfully informing me every time I added a new room to my own story. Thanks IS!

Comment

So now what?

Will you be working on the HOID or is that pretty much over?
                I check out the Library, but couldn't get into it much.

Comment

Originally posted by PandaRose View Post
                  Will you be working on the HOID or is that pretty much over?
                  The HOID belongs to apotheosis, and it's not 'over', it's the same that it's always been -- an open CYOA that literally anyone can add to.

I check out the Library, but couldn't get into it much.
                  I'm not sure what you mean here, I'm still working on TIL, it's not even public yet.

Comment

Updates

Only reason I ask is that there isn't much activity on it, the last update seems to have been in February. Is Apotheosis busy? Just asking.

Comment

Only reason I ask is that there isn't much activity on it, the last update seems to have been in February. Is Apotheosis busy? Just asking.
                      Dude. Reeeeead.

Originally posted by mizal View Post
                      The HOID belongs to apotheosis, and it's not 'over', it's the same that it's always been -- an open CYOA that literally anyone can add to.

Comment

Just wondering when the story will be updated, didn't mean to start problems.

Comment

Just wondering when the story will be updated, didn't mean to start problems.
                          Problems, plural? Don't be silly. The only problem is you. You being a fucking idiot. (Which I mean in the nicest way possible, really. We're all horrible people here, so get used to it.)

Apoth hasn't updated his story in ages, but that doesn't mean he's been preventing submissions. On purpose, anyway. Based on his comments in this very thread it sounds like the site may have switched the rooms to 'needs approval' instead of 'automatically add'. And given that he only hops in once every few months, that would cause quite the buildup. But, either way... he would be the better person to ask.

As opposed to, you know, the person who is actively trying to write a better story than the one you won't shut up about. The person who is motivated by nothing less than the sheer hatred of the very same story you keep hijacking the thread to ask about. No, the story is not public yet. We've been over that too. But if we could talk about that instead of waiving our HOID boners all over the place, well, that would be just swell.

'k?

'k.
                          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I do apologize.
                            If the story's been transferred, I will move.

Comment

I do apologize.
                              If the story's been transferred, I will move.
                              Dear PandaRose. Please stop apologizing. To save you the time of reading the posts in this thread in response to your question; read this post by me and this post alone.

Hall of Infinite Doors is still open for submission. If you wish to add to it, add to it. There is nothing stopping you. The story has not been transferred. It's open to everyone.
                              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Only reason I say anything is the unforgivable sin of wondering when it will show updates. ie showing new rooms.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information