No announcement yet.

TV shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay so I recently got access to free Netflix which in addition with Amazon, my ability to watch more mind numbing garbage has been doubled!

Anyway so I finally got around to watch Orange is the New Black and it was actually better than I thought it was going to be. I thought maybe it was all just a bunch of hype, and it probably still is, but I liked it enough to binge watch all 3 seasons.

It’s basically a female version of Oz with more comedy and a lot less rape. Seems like they increased the number of lesbian scenes and focused less on the protagonist with each passing season, but to be honest the main character isn’t excessively interesting. She’s okay, but a lot of the other inmates are more compelling to watch so I didn’t really mind them focusing on her less. I like how they go into the backgrounds of all the characters. Not just the inmates, but the people who work at the prison too.

Still, as with any show with a large cast, some characters just really suck. Take the good with the bad.

Also tried watching the Bates Motel.

Yeah, didn’t get through the first episode. (Though it was practically over with anyway) Twenty minutes in and I was already to turn it off.

I had a really hard time believing four attractive girls in an expensive car would just suddenly go up to Ol’ annoying awkward loser Norman Bates who is new to the town and not only strike up a friendly conversation with him, hang all over him, offer a ride to school, but then one of them also sit in his lap and give her number out to him.

At first I figured it was a dream sequence in his isolated mind, but nope. This happens and my now willingness to stretch believability in this fictional world has already been broken.

ONE attractive girl going up and speaking with some average looking loser dude as he awkwardly fumbles over his words in an attempt to make some sort of connection and she finds it “charming” enough to be interested, because hey it’s a small town and she wants something different…THAT I could at least buy. I mean there's always at least the "one girl" a future psycho killer focuses on as perfection and all that.

But 4 coming up to him? Nope. Doesn’t happen to guys like him, not unless this is a 1980s Revenge of the Nerds style comedy and he just defeated the Jocks.

I held out hope that MAYBE this was a set up. Like these girls were playing with him and going to do something cruel which would explain why he ends up retreating back to his mom, but that doesn’t happen either. They genuinely were just being nice and wanted to invite him to a party and have fun.

In any case, Norman’s mother is naturally the villain here that doesn’t want him going out and having fun and she’s already being shown as controlling and using passive aggressive (and directly aggressive) tactics to get him to do what she wants.

Okay, that seems legit at least. It’s pretty much following her personality from the movies at any rate.

And then they had to add this for no damn reason.

Earlier in the show, Norman and his mom have a run in with some old fat dude whose family owned the motel and house, but he lost it to the bank and he’s bitter about it. Well later he returns while Norman snuck out to go party with his four new girlfriends and the fat old dude ends up raping Norman’s mom.

Now you know me. I’m not opposed to a good raping in any show, but this really felt unnecessary and a cheap way to get people talking since hey it’s the first episode!

I get that they probably had it so Norman could suddenly walk in and play the hero and then it all ultimately results in his mom killing the guy and thus starting the path of darkness of murdering people and hiding the bodies (Though it’s already implied she killed the father in the intro). And it reinforces the whole mama’s boy thing since this will be another factor where Norman will start to think “If I don’t stick around, my mom will get raped!”

But they could have easily done that bit of psychological manipulation without adding this event. Norman’s mom was doing fine on her own in that regard. The fat old dude could have still been a thorn in their side in later episodes since he mentions he’s friends with the cops. Seems like wasted potential, I mean they could have always had him snap and have him try to rape her later when all of his schemes didn’t work out. Hell, even Game of Thrones waited a bit on the rape front.

Anyway, I was done. I think maybe I would have given this more of a shot if I started watching it when it first came out, but eh…I’m just not into it enough to waste anymore time with it. Maybe it gets better and maybe everything I said is just me griping about relatively minor things, but that’s how I feel about it.

In any case apparently 3 seasons have passed with this show and Norman and his mom still haven’t even fucked, so there’s yet another reason for me not to waste anymore time with it.
    Last edited by End Master; 11-27-2015, 05:15 AM.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

• Well apparently Sansa is supposed to finally take some reins of power this season, and there is a rumor that the actress is also saying she hopes her character gets a cool death scene since she doesn't mind if her character dies.

One or the other, or both would be fine at this point.

The Hound and the Mountain are supposed to have some big fight too and everyone is going nuts over it. Never really saw why everyone was clamoring for that to happen.

Well I suppose I do "get it" but it just seemed like one of the more tvtropetastic cliche events that sort of make the show more predictable. Fortunately, I'm forgiving when it comes to a brutal cinematic beat down, so I'm sure it won't bother me.

Comment

• Ugh, I thought we were done with the whole Dorne/Sand Skanks plotline. Really didn't need to bring them back.

The rest of the Game of Thrones premier was okay I guess. I wasn't expecting them to pull out anything major for the first episode, though I did think Euryon was going to be introduced. Maybe next episode.

Comment

• I am waaaay behind on Game of Thrones. I need to get back into it. I look forward to binging on season 5. It's gonna be gooood.

Comment

• House of Cards, anyone? I've been 'binging on on Netflix', as it were, as I sweat out my toxins and piss out my devils - and I've found this show to be an addictive watch. I think in many ways it's a little closer to the truth than most of us would like to admit - as far as how the government functions...or dysfunctions. Then again, there are a lot of elements of the show that are a bit far fetched and almost laughably absurd in their far-fetchedness. But oh well. The show, as a whole, is a great watch. And anything Kevin Spacey is in I tend to enjoy.

Spacey's character, Majority House Whip Francis Underwood, is a bit too dark of a character to be believable. I mean, this guy makes Tony Soprano look like a nice guy. But he still does a great job showing the underworkings of DC and all the conniving and political maneuvering that goes on. And really the unfairness of it all, as politicians escape DUIs and get away with murder. Lobbyists infest the corridors of the capitol like rats and wield more influence than God. From time to time Spacey's character will turn to the camera and explain what his strategy is or what his feelings are at the moment, and it is one of the best aspects of the show.

Characters are killed off not quite Sopranos or Game of Thrones style, but you never know who's head it's going to be next on the chopping block. One character I, unfortunately, identified with was a character named Peter Russo, who has the world at his feet and is even running for governor when it all comes crashing down. In his bio it reads: Peter is an alcoholic and occasional drug user, and a somewhat weak man. However, in his sober moments of self-reflection and realization, he sets goals he works very ambitiously towards. He seems to be one of the only characters on the show with an actual gauge of what's right and wrong, although he sometimes finds it difficult to execute those decisions (e.g., the shipyard)

This guy REALLY reminded me of myself. And in someways it may be sad. Especially at the end, toward his death, where he is driving around with a whiskey bottle in a complete breakdown, his whole world and everything he worked so hard for destroyed because of one night of partying.

It was a very poignant reminder of how QUICKLY the house of cards can come crashing down.

Comment

• House of Cards is just getting stupid. The president has pretty much just become this retarded asshole.

Hmmm. Sounds like the Bush admin. Maybe it's more true to life than I'd care to think.

Comment

• Just finished the Justified series recently.

I thought it was pretty good over all. I think it ended about when it should have. If it went another season, it probably would have started sucking.

Also finished up the 4th season of Boardwalk Empire. Looking forward to when the final season is free.

Looks like this series got screwed a bit like the old Rome series did and the creators had to wrap everything up really quickly in the last season which under goes a time jump and has less episodes. Hopefully the quality stays the same regardless though.

Comment

• Funny that you mention Rome, because I just finished re-watching it. I like the series a lot, though the time jumps you mentioned do have the awkward side effect of making Vorenus' children age very unevenly.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the final season of Boardwalk Empire. Some nice stuff, but... *shrug* :|

Comment

• One of my favorite scenes from Rome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1IQicmIiXM

Always liked the scene where he's yelling at his buddy for killing his slave too.

Comment

• One of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMV-GdAeBpU

Vorenus is so clueless. XD

Comment

• Forgot to mention, also finished the Mad Men series.

I thought the show was good over all and was another one that ended while still on top, though two things sort of stood out.

The first one being, for the longest time I kept hearing that Don Draper was supposed to be some mysogynistic, racist, gay basher when if anything the guy was probably one of the more “progressive” characters in the show.

Was he sort of a dick? Sure (And even that was exaggerated from the stories I heard before watching this series), but his dickishness was more of a general thing rather than directed at any particular group. I guess as usual people just like to throw around these terms until they lose all fucking meaning.

Two, I thought it was sort of pointless to split the core group up if they were just going to reunite them all in a merger shortly anyway. I suppose it wasn’t completely unrealistic since smaller companies get eaten by bigger ones or fail within the first few years of life, but it just seemed funny that half of the characters are doing their own thing and then whoops everyone is together again!

There weren’t too many characters that I completely disliked either. Some took time for me to like more than others (Like Joan or Peter). The only major one that I never cared for was Don’'s last wife. (Can’t even remember her name) Her character was pretty annoying at times and they were together way too damn long.

I know his first wife Betty gets a lot of hate, but I always liked her for the most part.

Comment

• Did anyone catch Preacher? It was excellent television.
                          The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

• Finally caught the first episode, DEP. I dig it. Cassidy seems like promising comic relief, and my heart went out for the poor choir girl crushing on Jesse. I also like the part where Tom Cruise exploded. :P

Comment

Working...
                            Do Not Sell My Personal Information