No announcement yet.

Movies (recently seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bah. If you're gonna watch three of the four movies in a series, you're pretty much obligated to watch the fourth, no matter how much it may suck. It's a matter of completionism.
    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Usoki View Post
      Bah. If you're gonna watch three of the four movies in a series, you're pretty much obligated to watch the fourth, no matter how much it may suck. It's a matter of completionism.
      So you think people should watch Halloween 3: Season of the Witch too?
      Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

• Sure. H3 probably wouldn't get as bad a rap as it does, if it hadn't been saddled with the "Halloween" name or if it had been the 2nd Halloween movie like John Carpenter first envisioned his "Halloween series" to be a different tale every time rather than just focusing on Michael Myers.

I might argue against completism for the original Texas Chainsaw series though. I don't know what the hell they were trying to do in the 4th one. They turned Leatherface into some screaming queen who cries like his balls are cut off at times. It was even worse than Nightmare on Elm Street 6.
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

• EndMaster, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but watching H3 is pointless for "completionism" as Usaki was talking about.

And Yes! Texas Chainsaw WTF were they thinking part 4?

---

Also, I just got Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Although it does have some weaknesses, I am digging this opera. I can't really call it a rock opera, more of a goth opera, but still very cool shit.
          Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

• Admittedly, I can count on one hand the number of horror movies I've seen, and horror series tend to degrade the worst, but...

In general, I just have this sort of completionist quirk. I mean, if you were reading Pratchett's Diskworld, and you'd read most of them... why wouldn't you just finish reading all of them? If you were reading the Wheel of Time series, and you'd never read the second book...why wouldn't you read it, even if you did get a synopsis of what happened in it?
            Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
            Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
            And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

• Recently watched Million Dollar Baby. Have to say I don't see what all the hype was about. Morgan Freemen played himself.... again. Clint Eastwood was old, cranky, depressed and annoying. Hilary Swank played an overeager ex trailer park rat who wanted to make it big as a boxer.

What does all this add up to?

A mediocre, slow moving, depth lacking film. I knew it was bad when I started fast forwarding through dialouge. If you are going to have a movie with many long, sentimental scenes that touch on what it means to struggle against adversity and be human and feel lonely and whatever, you need to have some semblance of an idea about how to do it.

I liked Rocky better. At least Rocky didn't pretend to be anything it wasn't.
              Click it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi! My name is: Katie View Post
                B) Sukiyaki Western Django- a Takashi Miike western flick hopefully without parasite-siblings

Hope I'm not too late. Don't waste your time with this terrible film.
                The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by donteatpoop View Post
                  Hope I'm not too late. Don't waste your time with this terrible film.
                  You are too late... We watched Django earlier this week. I find the Miike films generally have an aesthetic that I find appealing. His visual style just calls to me. Overall it watched like a live action anime. If it had a little more Cowboy Bebop to it I'm sure I would have loved it. Unfortunately it fell short.

Anyway, End is asking me about Total Recall the movie of the night, so I must go answer him. Is it all a dream?
                  ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

• Django was pretty "normal" for a Miike film. I was expecting an incestuous milk squirting parasitic twin somewhere in there.

As for Total Recall, I always felt Arnold was just dreaming from the point when they strap him into the Recall chair the first time.

Comment

• Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Great book.

The movie looks like it might do it justice, too.

I loved No Country for Old Men.

Comment

• Finally got around to seeing Fargo. Great film. Pregnant detective lady was probably one of the most likable characters in history.
                        Click it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by apotheosis View Post
                          Finally got around to seeing Fargo. Great film. Pregnant detective lady was probably one of the most likable characters in history.
                          Ya betcha.

Yer darn tootin', ya are.

It's rare that I see a movie with Steve Buscemi in it, and end up not liking it.

Comment

• We just got our greedy little mitts on a copy of Repo! I loved it! Oh my gosh! What a fantastic movie! I am just so sad that I didn't get to see it on the big screen.

I also watched Nightmare on Elm Street 1-4. Apparently they are going to remake Nightmare on Elm Street without Robert Englund. That's hard to imagine. Nightmare 2 felt like it had been made from a script someone found laying around.

This coming week The Watchmen comes out. I'm super-duper excited!
                            ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

• Repo! was pretty cool. Too bad it apparently got slammed by a lot of people. Hopefully a cult following will grow strong enough to allow them to do the trilogy that they said they wanted to do with it.

Thought it was funny that Bill Mosely was playing yet another angry/violent character who bickers with his "leatherface" brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by End Master View Post
                                Repo! was pretty cool. Too bad it apparently got slammed by a lot of people.
                                and worse yet, a large studio is stealing the idea and making a bigger budget movie as an action/thriller called Repossession Mambo (due out later this year. The studio making it originally wanted to make Repo! The Genetic Opera, but asked them not to make it a musical. Darren refused and found another studio that would let him make it his way, but that other studio still went on to make their own with the same idea... bastards.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information