Movies (recently seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apotheosis View Post
    Watched [I]I have to say, I love the movie, but, I wouldn't recommend using it as a date movie.
    I've found that the best date movie is Stardust. It's Neil Gaiman, so there are enough fantasy elements to keep the guy amused. But, it's also a romance, so the girl will be happy with the plotline. It's not a horror, but there are just enough squeemish gore parts to put the girl onto your chest, without her insisting that it get turned off.
    Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
    Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
    And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

• Saw Bruno last night. I agree with Chubby wholeheartedly. I wanted to take a shower after watching it.

It was very funny, though; just not as good as Borat.

Also, I saw Paranormal Activity, which was WAY more amusing than I thought it would be. Yes, it's a cheap film made in a style similar to the Blair Witch Project, but it was actually pretty creepy -- that's something you don't get very often in horror films these days. The way it was filmed made it feel more realistic, to me.

I'd give it like an

Not because it's brilliant or anything; just for being a lot scarier than most horror movies are.

[EDIT]

Oh, and I'm so fucking stoked for The Road. The last trailer was kind of corny and misleading, but I've got faith in this movie. A lot of people have said it seemed "pointless" and "disheartening", which is exactly what the book was, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just a couple days!
      Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 11-22-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• I keep telling people to see Paranormal Activity. It wasn't all that great in my opinion, however I think it is very much one of the best scary films.

I just saw The Proposal a couple nights ago. I've never laughed so much during a movie. I had to pause it until I could catch my breath. Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds were perfect for these roles. Must see it!

Comment

• The Proposal?! Really?! The were showing that at the college theater a few weeks back, but I didn't end up seeing it.

I'll have to keep that in mind.

Comment

• Saw Tokyo Gore Police, it was disgusting.

And by disgusting I mean the best movie ever. Well okay not the best movie ever, but it was still pretty cool if you're into that genre.

Also saw Jesus Camp, it was pretty amusing. Way funnier than most of the comedies that have come out lately.
            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

• I watched 'Make The Yuletide Gay' the other night. Holy hell that was the best gay comedy I've seen. An "out-of-the-closet" college student goes home to spend christmas withh his parents who don't know he's gay. Not corny like other queer films

Comment

• Saw the new Final Destination movie. It had an eerily familiar plot (it was the same plot used in the last movies, but with more corniness sprinkled in, if that gives you an idea) and the acting wasn't good, but seeing it in 3D was still cool and some of the deaths were fun.

Comment

• Just saw Extract and thought it was very good. Probably my favorite movie from Mike Judge so far. This guy understands people and dialogue all too well, and he has a way of making even the most boring premise into an interesting film. There's a few characters you'll end up wishing you could have gotten to know better, but I think the fact that I felt disappointment at the end is just a mark of how much I enjoyed the film. It's short and sweet.

Admittedly, if you're into complex plots, this one isn't for you (it's only an hour and a half long and resembles King of the Hill), but otherwise I'd definitely recommend it.

Mike Judge is still the man!

[EDIT]

By the way, End and Katie, have you guys seen The Road yet? I see it's playing in Royal Oak, but it looks like that's it for Michigan -- I guess the producers decided to put it on limited release at the last second.

Blah.

Oh well... hopefully they'll roll it out to more theaters in a couple weeks.
                  Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• I saw Triangle - which was good, though it fell into the trap where the main character doesn't go for the most logical thing to do. I also saw New Moon, even though I don't think the series deserves all of the hype it gets.

The others I saw were 2012, Paranormal Activity, and A Christmas Carol (I missed half of that film. I took my nine-year-old brother and two-year-old niece to see it, and my niece got so upset that I had to take her out).

Comment

• Haha, yeah, one of friends saw A Christmas Carol and said the ghost scenes were so scary that most of the kids in the theater starting crying.

Definitely one I'll be putting on my rent list.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois View Post
                        ...it's only an hour and a half long and resembles King of the Hill...
                        Enough reason for me to avoid it like the plague... I hate that show.

I did, however, just watch Ninja Cheerleaders... what more needs to be said (other than it also co-stars George Takei)... I mean Cheerleaders who are Ninjas... seriously... what more is needed? ... Unless of course their enemy in the movie was a group of Pirate Babysitters, which it isn't... Just the Mob.
                        Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

• Lol Dragavan, our tastes in entertainment must be completely opposite or something: I like Borat, you hate Borat. You like Harry Potter 6, I hate Harry Potter 6. I like King of the Hill, you hate King of the Hill.

... But I think you said you liked Big Fish a while back and I thought that one was good, too. Steve Buscemi rocks the house.

Anyway, I've got to ask -- what's wrong with King of the Hill? Do you think it's boring or something? I'll admit I don't like it as much as South Park, but Judge seems to get rural life down almost flawlessly. All of his characters (with the possible exceptions of Beavis and Butt-head) are completely realistic.

Comment

• I find KotH to be EXTREMELY boring... and not funny in the least most of the time... I also did not like Beavis and Butt-head at all either... In fact, most of what Mike Judge did I did not care for (with the one exception being Office Space, which was brilliant)... Even the ones that had their moments (like Idiocracy) were not good overall.

As for Big Fish... I loved that movie. It was a great story, great acting, and great visuals all in one... I love the way it took reality and twisted it in the way a good storyteller does, but showed us that twisting. But then, I also like most of what Tim Burton does and it helps that he gets great actors to be in his stuff.

As for the Ninja Cheerleader thing... not actually a good movie, but fun for what it was... and much better than Cheerleader Ninjas (seriously).
                            Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

• Movies recently seen

I must admit, Im not as familiar with the Australian movie scene as much as I am with the US/Canada and UK movies.

There are some notable exceptions, of course, like Mad Max and Breaker Morant havent seen it for a few years though, and recently Ive finally watched Romper Stomper. Over the years Ive caught some others like Man from Snowy River, Picnic at Hanging Rock, and then the pop culture movies like Crocodile Dundee and Muriels Wedding.

Im sure there are others Ive seen that Im just not remembering off the top of my head.

If anybody has some suggestions on Must See movies, feel free to give your list.

Comment

• Damn these bots are getting smart!

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information