No announcement yet.

Forum Based RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum RPGs aren't my thing, I'm a little too totalitarian, I think. I don't like how you don't only control your own character, I'm a huge fan of pen and paper RPGs where you control your character and the admin controls every NPC. Unless I'm missing something, it seems more like a writing exercise and less like a game.

For instance, how is combat handled?
    How we paid such close attention
    To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ-thebanisher View Post
      Forum RPGs aren't my thing, I'm a little too totalitarian, I think. I don't like how you don't only control your own character, I'm a huge fan of pen and paper RPGs where you control your character and the admin controls every NPC. Unless I'm missing something, it seems more like a writing exercise and less like a game.
      That's pretty much how I've always felt about them too.

They also feel way too slow for my tastes. I've seen some my friends are in where a single combat encounter lasts months... Where as if I was in a room together with them playing the game it would have been less than a half an hour.
      Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Seems like a less restricted version of DEP's Arena story. That was pretty slow, but I didn't mind since it was on this site and it was more like I was indirectly helping DEP write a story.

Though I've long since deleted Dr. Metzger's stats/objects and would probably have to go back through the story branches to remind myself of what objects he was carrying, if the story was ever picked up again.
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

I definitely see it as more a writing exercise than a game, only I don't see that as a bad thing. There is just something I find addictive to probably an unhealthy degree about creating a new character and having them have to interact with others or react to situations I'm not 100% in control of on the fly. Where with normal writing it's 'Okay I want the protag to do/feel/say X, I should make Y happen to bring that about' here instead it's 'Holy shit, X just happened--how would they react to that?' To me it just seems like you wind up developing much more vibrant and detailed characters that way.

(fun fact: the idea for Shadow of a Bloody Moon was born in a generic fantasy chatroom RP I was briefly a part of a few years ago. I had to drop out because it was eating so much time, but the character really stuck with me in a bizarrely persistent way, and the background I'd come up with for her gradually expanded into the entire Lisali setting.)

At the sites I hung out at, freeform RP 'etiquette' dictated you weren't supposed to presume anything any character other than your own might do in your post. I don't know if that's standard everywhere though, and I don't really have a problem with it being sacrificed in minor cases for the sake of flow.

Of course, at the sites I hung out at, I always got fed up pretty quickly with unsubtle self-insertion fantasies (this character is just like me, but an unstoppable immortal invincible half demon one quarter unicorn vampire ninja-elf who broods a lot about his tragic past whenever he's not polishing his magical soul-eating sword) and the way some people would go to increasingly ridiculous lengths to one up each other in a fight or whatever.

Maybe I just have this weird, completely wrong approach to the whole thing as it's always been more about taking part in an interesting story in an internally consistent setting than having my character 'win'....I'm just happy that so far DEP seems weird and completely wrong in a similar way. I'm really enjoying the game I'm in, I just hope we get a few more like-minded players to jump in and join us soon.

Comment

Well if any of you who don't feel like playing have 30 seconds to spare, it would be swell if you clicked over there and hit that 'vote for us' banner and then click the vote button. Literally 30 seconds. If you're on dial up it might take a little over a minute.

But yeah, End... it's similar to Arena except that you actually write a lot more in this. I was actually considering running a smaller scale Arena game on there at some point... Maybe. I always envisioned Arena to be a badass multi-player video game though.
            The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
              Of course, at the sites I hung out at, I always got fed up pretty quickly with unsubtle self-insertion fantasies (this character is just like me, but an unstoppable immortal invincible half demon one quarter unicorn vampire ninja-elf who broods a lot about his tragic past whenever he's not polishing his magical soul-eating sword).
              Not a possible combo anyway.

Now the elf could've gotten bitten by a vampire before or after he trained to be a ninja and acquired the sword. (I'm guessing before since if he had been a ninja with a soul sucking sword he probably could've killed the vamp)

The problem lies with his other heritage namely the half demon, quarter unicorn part.

Now he could've very well had a parent or grand parent that was a demon, no question with that. And while elves probably do obscene things with unicorns on regular basis because they're a bunch of tree hugging pervs that dance naked in the wild, they can't actually reproduce with them.

Now demons being the unnatural creatures they are could potentially reproduce with a unicorn, but the problem with that is, one is a creature of pure goodness while the other is from the bowels of hell.

Even if a male demon stalked down a female uni and raped it, it would've exploded the moment the male demon unleashed its evil seed into it or at least began to rot her from the inside out. Sure it would make the demon laugh with glee about it, but it's not producing any demonic uni babies.

And no matter how much succubus charm she tried, a male unicorn wouldn't have been able to perform for a demoness considering they're only attracted to pure females. Demons being naturally unclean beings of sin and evil don't qualify. She could've been blowing unicock all day long to try to get him going but it just ain't going to work. Even if she somehow managed to do it, you'd get a similar result as the male demon/female uni, namely the poor male unicorn's dick would rot off as soon as he slid into a gaping hole of pure evil, he wouldn't even have time to ejaculate, just instant rot of equine genitals and there go millions of potential one horned steeplechasers.

So it's impossible. Whoever made that character was a fucktard, plain and simple.
              Last edited by End Master; 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

But only being a quarter unicorn does not mean the demon had to have sex with the unicorn at all... the demon had to have sex with the OFFSPRING of a unicorn and something else... some other, non-evil, magical creature of the fay had to create a half-unicorn that could withstand sexual congress with a demon.

So a brownie, dryad, or even the winter queen herself could have reproduced with a unicorn to produce a child. That child could then grow to have an offspring with a demon. That child would be a half-demon, quarter-unicorn and quarter-fay. They would also be an elf (as all faerie folk, not just those most commonly known as elves, are often collectively called elves throughout old mythologies).

Still, whoever made that character was a fucktard, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to make one.
                Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Well alright then, as long as we agree the guy who made the character was still a fucktard. That's the important thing.

Comment

Speaking of fucktards, I went on a rant at one of the members and stumbled upon what I think may one day become the sites official slogan:

If you roleplay like a retard, you will have retarded adventures.

Comment

Voted for your site.
                      How we paid such close attention
                      To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Guys, guys, that was a sarcastic example, not an actual profile. It may be telling that everyone was so quick to believe it was real, though...the internet being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that exact character exists out there somewhere.

But since we all seem to enjoy picking apart the insane shit fucktards come up with, I'll definitely have to drop back by that chat site I mentioned at peak hours and start c&ping one of these days, there are always some real winners hanging around if you're willing to sift through all the description-less anime sluts. Sometimes I would log on just to read profiles and laugh.

Also we have a Viking shemale now over at the site...you losers without accounts don't know what you're missing.

Comment

Isn't one of the characters on there some sort of Beastmaster? So you already got a furry, you might well have a tranny too at this point.

Just don't go the F.A.T.A.L. route and you'll be fine.

Comment

Cool's character is the 'beastman'. He's not really a furry, it's more like if the apes that raised Tarzan fed him exclusively on a diet of lead-based paint chips.

Comment

Three games up and running and more on the way.

Play by post role playing is actually a great way to establish some character development by throwing your character(s) into scnearios that are beyond your control. Figuring out how they would react to various scenarios that you have not personally prepared for your character is great for building more depth to your characters.

So as a writing excercise this has merit as well.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information