Hey Sev, site ideas! Quality List!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Sev, site ideas! Quality List!

Everyone was in discussion of how sometimes the rating system fails us. Some idiot comes around and rates a story a 1 for no apparent reason which lowers the story on list.

Well in rare form, we actually got organized for once and came up with an idea to combat this.

A proposal was made by Katie that we should have a Member’s Choice list or Best of IS list and everyone pretty much agreed that this would be a good idea. This list would be on the front page and randomized much like you have now except the stories would only be of the highest quality.

The following stories were chosen. More could be added later I guess, but 25 seems good right now.

Time Traveller (Agent Rebellion)
    HOID (Apoth)
    Forest Dweller (Calen)
    Final Quest (Cat 2000)
    Doorways (CelticFrostQueen)
    CRACK ATTACK! (Chubby)
    Ducky Park (DEP)
    Paco Valdez (DEP)
    From Darkness It Comes (Drag)
    Necromancer (End)
    Ground Zero (End)
    The Black Citadel (Funkymango)
    5050 (Ghost)
    Draco Cronnoc (Jeff)
    Lost in a Good Book (Katie)
    Blind Date (Lucid)
    Paradox Factor (Lucid)
    Visual Epic (Morathi)
    Puppetmaster (Nalan)
    Just an Ordinary Day in the Life of an Ordinary Girl (Nuquerna)
    Swift, Silent & Deadly (NCPolice)
    The Yakuza Diaries (Poopypeanuts)
    The Thief of Alvera (Thoric)
    Rentyre (Usoki)
    The Country from Hell (Ves)
    Last edited by End Master; 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM. Reason: Because I just like doing things like that
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Ha ha.

Well, you've got an outstanding amount of war crimes on here. So it's a Pete Rose/Hall of Fame situation. We’ll have to get a ruling during your probationary period which will end at an unspecified date!

If we have to put you on there I’d suggest Verisimilivrate, since I’m really not a fan of stories where the author make themselves the main character so openly. (That's anyone not just you)

But I've never considered Ebay all that great. (Why Jeff loved it so I’ll never know) I'm going to scrap it one day and replace it with something else.

Maybe I should replace one of those stories with Celtic's, though maybe not Vixen Manor. Someone got any other suggestions?
    Last edited by End Master; 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

I'll second the versimilimisrev vote.

I really think that should be on the list. There's some it could replace; specifically Tale of Two Choices or George W
      The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelRayHolt
        Also, I was in Xeresgate, but it wasn't about me. A minor error.
        Yeah, but you're still in it as a King. You know I can't support that!

Anyway in the interest of this "Kinder and Gentler" Era of IS, Versissypants is on the list. I'll take the George Bush one off. It's going to be out of date soon anyway.

But getting back to scrapping, I wasn't going to eliminate Ebay completely. I was going to make it part of a group of other short stories that I think are neat ideas, but just aren't going to go too far.

Comment

The thing with Michael is... he's part of the reason we need something like this. He abused the rating system. Do we really want to reward people that abused the system in the first place by putting him on a special list? He is definitely NOT my Member's Choice. However, whatever the group decides is fine by me. I just don't think it is appropriate to include him at this time. This is about making the site look good, and he doesn't exemplify the kind of behavior we want to attract. Just my two cents.
          ~Katie
          ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Well I'm pretty much in agreement, and most folks will mostly agree that he was being a REAL dickhead last time around. (Or anytime actually)

Like I said, personally I could give a shit who rates me 1s, but given that a lot of other people on here are sick of it, I’m making the effort to help organize this list and I'm being uncharacteristically civilized in the efforts of forum peace, since it has been peaceful around here. (With a few harmless rants here and there)

I would hope if any of the forum members get into another flame war again (And it’s bound to happen given this lot on here) it’s at least kept in the forums. Someone “Revenge Rating” because they lost an argument isn’t the way to go about things and it just makes that person look like more of an asshole.

Now “Revenge Rating” some fucktard’s lame ass story because he rated your story a 1 and said “furries” is a little more acceptable. (Actually it wasn't even revenge, Xamiza's story really did suck)
            Last edited by End Master; 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

It was really weird actually. It was like the moment I decided to let my stories be rated (Getting tired of nuking them) you, Katie and I got into a BIG ASS flame war. (I think Ves was in there too and DEP took some pot shots)

It wasn't quite as spectacular as the very first one we had, but it was up there. You got pissed off pretty severely during the arguement and rated a couple of my stories 1s and Katie's stories 1s and disappeared shortly afterwards. (Hooray for my photographic memory of pointless events!)

Anyway, I leave the ratings on my stories now. Plus its funny since you rated Ebay a 1 and made the comment "You'll never get a 10 as long as I draw breath."

Then sometime later you rated Necromancer a 10.

EDIT: Alright we're all at least somewhat on a cordial level. The thread's getting derailed here. Does someone have any other story suggestions of what might be a better choice on the current list?
              Last edited by End Master; 01-28-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

The Members' Choice list should include stories based solely on their literary merit. Regardless of who the author is or which other stories happen to be on the list, if the work merits inclusion we should include it. I haven't read MRH's work (though if the title is any indication, one way or another "How the World Wronged Michael Holt" ought to be interesting) but if it's at least as good as "A Tale of Two Choices" I wholeheartedly endorse it.

Several more of End's stories merit a place. I realize he'll be disproportunately represented, but based on his work, he's earned it. Legend, Death Song, and perhaps Paradise Violated, at least, seem appropriate.

Katie's "The Pattern" is, as I remember, well-written, though when last I saw it, far from complete.

"What Ho" (though a little on the silly side) and perhaps DEP's "The Third Eye" could be considered. Maybe one of those from the movie monster contest. There are likely a few more scattered around I haven't read.

What I did read of "Swift, Silent & Deadly" didn't look promising; the others seem mostly okay at first glance.
                Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I disagree with this. I think keeping one piece per person, and two for DEP and End each is a good idea. It's a little more balanced, gives a look into different people's styles, etc. If someone become particularly impressed by the work of one writer, they can always look up that person by name.
                  Last edited by Vesnic; 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM.
                  My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

So you're suggesting we list the best stories on the site, but limit their inclusion to two per writer, regardless of quality? Even when other stories of comparatively less merit are included? The list would no longer truly be a "best of" list, but if that's the way most want it, so be it. The list as it's currently described will still be of benefit to IS. My other suggestions stand. For clarification, will the list be limited to a certain number of entries?
                    Last edited by Locke; 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna have to go with Ves on this one, with a clarification. If the author bounces heavily between two drastic genres (That is, two works are necessary for a sample), or is ridiculously prolific (DEP and End, among others), giving them two different stories makes sense. Otherwise, one is fine.

If we were going for a list of 50+, then we'd throw in all of our favorites. With the smaller list, the more important thing is giving newbs a representative sample- if they like what they read, then they can search by author for more.
                      Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                      Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                      And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

What I think all of you wonderful people are forgetting is that Sev isn't going to implement any of these wonderful ideas.

So let it be written.

Comment

Let's not be defeatist just yet, Chubby. What we're suggesting is by far the most easily implemented plan we have ever introduced to Sev, and the majority of us are behind it. I think it will happen.
                          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-12-2011, 05:52 PM.
                          My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

It will probably happen when the new site design premieres. In other words, not overnight, but eventually.

Comment

Katie, MRH was being a dick at the time; but how would judging his stories based on his personality be any less fair than what he did?

The point of this list, according to my understanding; was to showcase the highest quality stories on the site so that new visitors can see the good stuff instead of coming accross a bunch of shit.

Now, michael may be a piece of shit more often than not; but he's a damn good writer.
                              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information