No announcement yet.

IWT8 Ratings Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you re-post here the definition of "Writing Style" as it was determined when the new category was formed?
    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

I just noticed that BatCountry's story has a second contributor, who wrote a pretty sizable page in the contest story. This is why we generally suggest that contest entries which are not official collaborations be locked down to author-only input.

I'll just be ignoring this page then...

EDIT: Zac's has a third contributor as well who I don't remember ever being mentioned. There's another bit I'll be ignoring. Also, shouldn't zac's story be listed as a collaboration since he did mention this on the forums and he and commie have both made appearances here?
      Last edited by Vesnic; 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

We had a collaboration before with Ryan, Locke, and Cat once, but I only ever counted Ryan since he did the majority of the writing in the story (And Locke & Cat got SHAMED that year)

I think only Zac and Bat have someone else on their stories, but I wasn't counting any of those people either especially since they never said they were entering the contest. Just ignore all contributions from other authors if you want, they aren't getting any glory either way.

We probably should have a no collaboration rule for next contest or something.

Actually I forgot what Writing Style was supposed to be, but a bunch of people seemed to think it was important enough to add though. I'll have to dig up what thread it was in...

EDIT: Okay here it is...

Plot/Creativity- Exactly what it has always been.

Enjoyment- Exactly what it has always been.

Writing Style- This was formerly Spelling/Grammar, but now includes stuff like pacing, description, dialogue, etc. (Mizal suggested this one)

Theme- This was the newer one and is based on originality of using the various themes in the story. (Usoki suggested this one)
        Last edited by End Master; 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM.
        Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

I will take all PMs over the main site, simply so that the message in question will appear on a larger frame than it would if sent by forum. Less steps to reach them, too. And let's not forget how easy it is to miss seeing PMs on the forum. If you don't send your vote over the main site PMs, prepare to receive SCORN.

There are four categories this year, all of which are 10 points. You will then asterisk one category to count double, which creates a nice, round total of 50 points possible. You must asterisk the same category for all of your votes. Failure to provide a proper asterisk will result in SCORN. The categories are pretty loosely defined, so don't sweat them too much. The categories are...

Plot/Creativity- This one is pretty self-explanatory. How was the plot? Did you understand what was going on? Did you see the ending from a mile away? Have you seen it all before, or did the story offer a new take on things?

Enjoyment- What did you think of the story? Did you like it? Was it too short? Too linear? Did you keep running into unwritten choices after two or three rooms?

Writing Style- Formerly the spelling and grammar category, it has been expanded to cover things like pacing, description, and dialogue. Did the story have a huge introduction sequence that dragged on for too long? Did you have a hard time following the plot because nothing was described? Did you get bored reading the story because it was written at a first grade reading level?

Theme- How well were the theme elements used? Did they play an important part in the plot of the story, or were they introduced and then promptly ignored? How well did the three themes work together? Did they wimp out and pick three that easily mesh, or did they impress you by picking three very different themes that still made sense in the story?

In addition to these numerical ratings, you should provide a critque explaining why you voted the way you did. More is always better. At the very least, you should try and have at least one paragraph. Nobody like that guy who writes one unhelpful sentence and calls it good enough. I can't stop the guy who does that, but I can offer him SCORN.

You are strongly encouraged to read the entire story, all paths. If you cannot bring yourself to do that- the story is too bad, or too massive- make sure you mention that in your critique.

You cannot vote for your own story. Normally I'd threaten SCORN for any author who doesn't vote, because that messes up the numerical symmetry. However, that's already been ruined, because BatC had to go and submit two stories. Frankly, I don't expect Zac to vote- I haven't seen him around ever since we identified him as a Star Wars loving furry. Oh well. I'll probably go straight mean averages, unless it looks like the inconsistant number of votes is seriously fucking with things.
          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Contest newb question time. The PM ratings we send to Usoki, do we just give the numbers or both the numbers AND a little write up explaining why we rated the story the way we did?

Also to Vesnic, For awhile I thought my Darkblade story wouldn't be allowed so when someone else wrote that one room, I didn't think it was a big deal. When I read it I liked it so much I expanded upon it in my future rooms so when my story was allowed back into the contest I didn't really want to delete that room. I apologize for the annoyance and all future contest stories of mine will adhere to that rule, unless I make known its a collaboration.

To Usoki, sorry I screwed up your symmetry brah.

Comment

Would it be okay for me to add in the remaining two thirds of my story as long as I put up a disclaimer on the current last page telling voters not to take it into account, or do I have to wait til this whole trainwreck is over?

Originally posted by Usoki View Post
              Frankly, I don't expect Zac to vote- I haven't seen him around ever since we identified him as a Star Wars loving furry.
              And I'm going to lose to this person?

Ugh...I don't suppose it's possible to withdraw and just take the SHAME instead?
              Last edited by mizal; 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
                Ugh...I don't suppose it's possible to withdraw and just take the SHAME instead?
                Mizal, I don't think End has been fully forthright about what SHAME really entails. You see, several inductees into the Hall of SHAME (as well as those who were around before the formal institution of SHAME but who nonetheless committed the capital sin of flaking out on End's contests) disappeared rather abruptly and were never heard from again. No one doubts that murder most foul was the reason. However, the many shreds of gossip floating about still can't concur as to whether anal rape with rusty rifle barrels, reintroduction of the iron maiden or exposure to a barrel of Ebola-ridden monkeys was the ultimate method employed.

In other words: losing to zac is the least of your potential problems.

(Seriously, though, you really think you could lose to him?)

Comment

Originally posted by Vesnic View Post
                  (Seriously, though, you really think you could lose to him?)
                  I haven't seen his entry yet so I don't know maybe (hopefully) it's really fucking terrible, but you clearly haven't seen mine either.

(I thought I'd hold the entry I originally intended back until it was actually completed, then I thought I'd just half ass something to replace it with, then halfway through my last day off before the deadline I thought instead of twenty pages of a crappy no effort CYOA I'd just write a linear story, then I thought I'd use my last hour fixing a scene I'd changed my mind on and then I thought wtf eastern time and thought I should start desperately pasting the first section into the little boxes instead.)

There may be some lesson to be learned here about procrastination but fuck if I feel like figuring out what it is. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Usoki, I've been around, just haven't talked so much. And I do plan to vote. Mizal, you though my story was terrible, no offense but yours isn't very good either, although I saw you were desperate not to get SHAME, so I should give you some credit for trying. Plus I worked hard on my story, I thought it was pretty decent. Finally to all of you who think I'm a Star Wars loving furry, FUCK YOU ALL, I'm still angry from that, not as much as the first time, but I can hold a grudge.
                    Last edited by zac6251; 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zac6251 View Post
                      Usoki, I've been around, just haven't talked so much. And I do plan to vote. Mizal, you though my story was terrible, no offense but yours isn't very good either, although I saw you were desperate not to get SHAME, so I should give you some credit for trying.
                      Well, you're bad at reading comprehension, at least. Maybe there's hope yet!

Plus I worked hard on my story, I thought it was pretty decent. Finally to all of you who think I'm a Star Wars loving furry, FUCK YOU ALL, I'm still angry from that, not as much as the first time, but I can hold a grudge.
                      Are you for real? This is hilarious.

Comment

Oh how I hate it when people don't take me seriously, no wonder why I hate being in the forums, but I saw the tournament and thought 'What the hell' and entered. And seriously, whats so bad about my story, I showed other people in reality my story and they really liked it.

Comment

I know man, it must be rough.

I'm sure people take you incredibly seriously everywhere else you go.

Comment

People do, they know I'm the serious guy. But again, whats so bad about my story?

Comment

Well, Mizal if you really want to withdraw and take SHAME instead I suppose I wouldn't stop you...

Though I'd be even more annoyed considering I already wrote up a sentence about how you and Cat were shining examples of the human spirit by dragging yourselves out of the SHAME pit.

I'd have to go back and edit everything causing me to dole out TRIPLE MEGA SHAME to you for wasting my time. In effect you'd be lower than Locke, who still has his DOUBLE MEGA SHAME.

Anyway I doubt very seriously your story can be worse than Apoth's Infernal Gate submission for IWT4.
                              Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

And that was very bad, I prefer Mizals story over that crap. At least that had a story, Infernal Gate was just random shit. I hope it had last place that year.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information