No announcement yet.

Movies (recently seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katie and I saw "The Orphan". We went in with low expectation of it going to be yet another "creepy little girl" horror movie, but it turned out to be better than we thought.

The hottest part of the movie is when she tries to seduce her dad.
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

• I don't know if there's been any mention of The Knowing yet, but I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good. Admittedly, the background music was a little odd, the camera angles were a little weird, and the acting was mediocre; however, it made a valiant attempt at some cool special effects including a plane crash, a subway train wreck, and a spaceship take-off. Also, the film felt a lot more "honest" than a lot of the stuff you get nowadays. There was no forced drama and the characters had very realistic dialogue.

And the movie dealt (though in my opinion, rather half-heartedly) with determinism versus randomness, which is always fun. Made a nice change from that "predeterminism versus you make your own destiny" thing that so many movies already have.

Comment

• Saw The Orphan and thought it was good. Reminded me of The Good Son with Macaulay Culkin.

Comment

• I've seen a few movies over the past few months. I know one or two of them are classics and I had no right to wait so long, but you know. Shit gets in the way.

Fight Club - Absolutely fantastic mindfucking film of god. 5*
          Aliens 2
          Chronicles of Riddick 1 (about to watch 2)
          Outlander
          Babylon A.D.
          District B13 2

And like at least ten more that I've misplaced in the depths of my mind somewhere. You know, shit gets in the way.
          How we paid such close attention
          To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

• Originally posted by JJJ-thebanisher View Post
            Chronicles of Riddick 1 (about to watch 2)
            Do you mean Pitch Black? That movie was not called CoR until after the sequel movie actually titled The Chronicles of Riddick came out in theaters.

Or do you mean the animated The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury? Which was the straight to DVD one that came out right before the live action theatrical one as a tie-in to span the time between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick.

Or do you mean the actual movie simply called The Chronicles of Riddick, which was the third in the series?

I ask because none of them were numbered or named that way, so it's confusing when referred to that way.
            Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragavan View Post
              Do you mean Pitch Black? That movie was not called CoR until after the sequel movie actually titled The Chronicles of Riddick came out in theaters.

Or do you mean the animated The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury? Which was the straight to DVD one that came out right before the live action theatrical one as a tie-in to span the time between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick.

Or do you mean the actual movie simply called The Chronicles of Riddick, which was the third in the series?

I ask because none of them were numbered or named that way, so it's confusing when referred to that way.
              I watched Dark Fury and it was pretty lame, and then I watched Pitch Black and it was absolutely terrible. Like straight up horrible and a total dissapointment after the first one. I'll watch the third one soon, and pray that it's better.

I'm still recovering from watching that shit.

Edit: Necromungers? Seriously? Who the fuck thought of that.

Comment

I watched Dark Fury and it was pretty lame, and then I watched Pitch Black and it was absolutely terrible. Like straight up horrible and a total dissapointment after the first one. I'll watch the third one soon, and pray that it's better.

I'm still recovering from watching that shit.

Edit: Necromungers? Seriously? Who the fuck thought of that.
                I actually liked Pitch Black for what it was (which was not a Chronicles of Riddick when it came out). As a low budget sci-fi action monster movie it was pretty fun. I did not care for the animated one much at all. And the Chronicles of Riddick felt like they had too much story they were trying to cram into a single movie, so it fell flat (but had great special effects due to its much higher budget).
                Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragavan View Post
                  I actually liked Pitch Black for what it was (which was not a Chronicles of Riddick when it came out). As a low budget sci-fi action monster movie it was pretty fun. I did not care for the animated one much at all. And the Chronicles of Riddick felt like they had too much story they were trying to cram into a single movie, so it fell flat (but had great special effects due to its much higher budget).
                  OK, I think I have this wrong. Pitch Black is when they crash-land and have to survive right? That was really awesome and I loved it!

The next one was animated and it was pretty bad, Riddick's body changes drastically through it, as his arms grow like a foot and such ahhaa.

Then came the Necromungers one, dunna what it's called, and THAT was TERRIBLE. I agree that there was WAY too much plot for that movie, they didn't even explain what the Furyan's were and then all of a sudden Riddick has "the fury of the Furyan's in his heart" and that was just messed and ridiculous. And Necromungers? That's the dumbest name I can possibly think of (edit: Except maybe like Megaman or something.... ).

I thought of that movie as a corn-fest.

Comment

OK, I think I have this wrong. Pitch Black is when they crash-land and have to survive right? That was really awesome and I loved it!

The next one was animated and it was pretty bad, Riddick's body changes drastically through it, as his arms grow like a foot and such ahhaa.

Then came the Necromungers one, dunna what it's called, and THAT was TERRIBLE. I agree that there was WAY too much plot for that movie, they didn't even explain what the Furyan's were and then all of a sudden Riddick has "the fury of the Furyan's in his heart" and that was just messed and ridiculous. And Necromungers? That's the dumbest name I can possibly think of (edit: Except maybe like Megaman or something.... ).

I thought of that movie as a corn-fest.
                    That is correct (and the correct order they came out)...

Pitch Black was never part of a series originally. It was just a cool low budget movie about surviving on the hell planet when the dark comes. Riddick was just a character in it, not the focal point of the plot.

Then, years later, after Vin became a big box office draw, they decided to make a sequel. They called this movie The Chronicles of Riddick.

As a marketing thing they created an animated movie to tie it to Pitch Black, which was released in the weeks before The Chronicles of Riddick came out in theaters... technically making it the second one.

Then, they re-released Pitch Black on DVD with the name The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black.

Not nearly as confusing as the names of the Rambo movies, but still too much work for what is really just one good movie (Pitch Black) and a couple annoyingly overdone movies.

Comment

• Totally agree.

Despite the series' drawbacks, Vin Diesel does an excellent job throughout but I think that the writers really let him down on a multitude of occasions. Had End been writing it.. well nevermind, that would have probably gotten quite disturbing.

I think it's funny how Diesel is pretty much the same character in every role he plays, ever. He got a terrible rep. from the XXX series (which was really bad, no denying it) but he's actually a pretty good actor for what he does.

Comment

• District 9 was pretty good. Peter Jackson has yet to let me down. Sort of like E.T. meets Terminator 4, only better. For one thing, there were no senseless morals about the "human heart". There were really no morals at all, actually. Just pure story.

Also, I finally saw Watchmen. That was good, also. I really liked how it ends leaving the viewer free to ponder who made the right decisions and such. And Rorschach was so damn cool.

I won't rate them this time, but they were both worth watching.

Comment

• Just watched The Last House on the Left and thought it was okay. Kind of like The Strangers meets Deliverance, only without any of the pig-squealing or insane bango-playing, which such a combination would imply.

Comment

• Wait, which "Last House on the Left" did you see? The original or the remake?

I only saw parts of the remake, but from what I saw I thought it sucked compared to the original.

When I first saw the previews of District 9 with the big saucer flying over a desert and it saying "20 years ago they landed..." I thought it was going to be a continuation of that old movie Alien Nation since it had a similar image in that preview and 20 years ago is about when that movie came out. (Then they showed the aliens and I knew it wasn't)
                            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

• I saw the remake. The lady who was working the cash register told me she'd seen the original too, and it just about scared the shit out of her.

I didn't find this one very frightening (I usually don't find films to be scary, anyway), but I did like the beginning -- when the girls are in the hotel room and the killers show up, etc. Towards the end, the movie got a little corny, due mostly to unecessary punchlines and the parents fighting off the killers using household appliances and what-not. Still, some of the deaths were uniquely satisfying. Unrealistic, but satisfying.

It's about an average movie -- probably a lot better than average if you include all of the ones you don't rent. I wouldn't rank it down with The Cell 2 or X-Men: The Last Stand or anything.

Comment

• Has anyone seen Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, with Dustin Hoffman?

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information