No announcement yet.

dnewton is a punkass bitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's the thing, katie. Sev isn't going to appoint ANYONE to ANYTHING. That isn't his style. He hasn't done that EVER in past years and I don't see him changing just because a few of us are whining about this problem.

His response? Stop complaining and be happy with what you got, unless you guys want to start sending me money. THEN, by all means you can complain. Until then be thankful for what you've got. End of story.

My idea is the best. There is an option to leave a COMMENT ONLY with every story. We should use this option. If someone has something mean to say about a story, they can say it there. If they have something kind to say, they can say it there.

The point is you would HAVE to type in SOMETHING which is better than a '1' with no comment.

No one would be censored. The whole rating system is stupid anyway. I like comments with out a numerical value attached to them.

I say we just void all of the ratings on our stories. Like EM used to do.

There really is no other solution because Sev isn't going to change anything or put the work forward to make one of your 'brilliant' plans a reality.

Either that or just deal with the occasional asshole and get over it.

Comment

I sort of got tired of nuking my ratings constantly, so I just stop bothering.

Personally I still think things are fine the way they are. Just having the ability of deleting comments would be alright by me. Personally I think the whole idea of having a weighted system sucks. Its too damn elitist. All one has to do is look at Worth 1000 to see that. It's also overly complicated for a site like this.

Having a mod? Meh, I'd actually prefer that to a weighted system mainly because if Sev ever actually picked someone, it would be someone fairly responsible that's here on the forum, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the hands of some mad man. If he picked more than one person to create more of a balance that would probably be better.

But as it was already mentioned none of this is probably going to get implimented and I'd rather see a bunch of other stuff get implimented first to begin with.

EDIT: Am I in the minority? Do you guys get that upset over low ratings with no comments? Because I usually just write such people off as being assholes and move on. I would've thought fucktard comments would've annoyed folks more, since its a bunch of shit you have to constantly read and you can't even respond to (or appropriately insult the fucktard that's making the comment in the first place)
      Last edited by End Master; 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM.
      Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

No, it doesn't really upset me THAT bad. But I think it's only fair to explain WHY you're giving the story the rating your giving it.

I've given out lots of 1s, but at least I explain why in the rating.

I understand Ves's concern, but I think she's just going to have to live with it and not let it get her down.

There will always be critics and assholes out there.

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
          EDIT: Am I in the minority? Do you guys get that upset over low ratings with no comments? Because I usually just write such people off as being assholes and move on.
          I don't just write for shits and giggles. If this were the case, then I wouldn't bother posting anything online. I do actually want my stuff to be seen, and I know it will get far fewer hits if my story is knocked off of the top-rated page completely. And just on principle, it doesn't seem right that some random asshole who has the maturity level of a fourth grader should have the power to determine whether the story that I worked really hard gets seen or not. I've corrected the problem now, but it would be nice if this didn't have to happen to me and others in the future.
          Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 05:18 PM.
          My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, Ves.

Sad fact is though is that it probably WILL happen again.

So we just need to find a way of coping with it and weathering it. I don't think Sev is gonna really care about it.

Speaking from past experience here. I like the guy but he doesn't seem to appreciate criticism.

Comment

So... if I donate to Sev, you think he'd initiate my IQ test requirement? haha jk. Seriously, dumb people have opinions too...

What we should do is go through the site and give HONORS awards to MUST READ stories. So new people will know what to read regardless of who has the highest ratings. Every now and then we get someone asking on the forums for recommendations, what if there was a place that listed the must read stories not based on ratings, but on some other factor.

I often wonder how many people come to the site and then leave because they clicked a crappy story without realizing what it was and thought it was representative of the site quality. If on the first page our highest honor stories were readily available, then no one would care about ratings. We could just keep a running bibliography sheet.

Perhaps along with the rating feature we could have a "nominate" feature. And if you get a certain number of nominations, you are added to the list... this too could be abused.

CYS has their great stories listed... They only have a few though. I dunno... just a thought.
              ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Ya, why don't you keep your thoughts to yourself. The men are talking, Katie. Please don't interrupt.

You know I only kid!

Comment

Well this is an interesting idea, and would probably be the easiest to implement. All it would require is a new list on the front page. I think pretty much everyone who contributes regularly to the forums has at least one story that has been well received and would deserve a place on the "must read" list.

Though Chubby and others bring up a good point that all of this is moot if Sev doesn't do anything.

How much exactly is Sev looking for?
                  Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I give a yearly donation of $120, but I never got the impression Sev was all that motivated by money. If he was, he would've shut down the site like he did a couple years ago and left it like that.

Comment

That's too bad. I thought for sure five bucks and a box of Girl Scouts cookies would have done the trick.

Here's a couple of ideas for that hypothetical category brainstormed by me and Katie:

The Best of IS
                      Infinite Recommendations
                      Stop, Drop and Read
                      Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Well...good question!

I don't know! Any amount isn't too much, though - I'm sure!

I don't have a penny to spare. So, whatevah. Although it looks like I'm landing a new job that will pay me twice what I'm making now! Just got off the phone with the lady! WOO HOO!!

Back on topic. Maybe we should bring this topic up in the Code Rewrite thread. If we ALL made a clear, short, logical case he might actually listen to us. C'mon folks. Let's do it. Let's be totally polite about and not come across as whiny bitches.

We should first thank him for all the work he's done, and THEN ask for whatever we're going to ask for.

What exactly are we going to ask for?
                        Last edited by ChubbyTeletubby; 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM.

Comment

And so no one gets a hurt ego, Sev could set it up like the random stories, which updates every time you click refresh. Except it would come from an exclusive list. Perhaps, it could even be required that stories in this section be completely finished... which would be a strong motivator and knock most of my stories out, but would do a lot for the site quality over all.
                          ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Originally posted by Hi! My name is: Katie View Post
                            Perhaps, it could even be required that stories in this section be completely finished...
                            Hey a whole section dedicated to me! I heartily approve of this idea!

Comment

Okay, we have a lot of great ideas here.

We need to either

A. categorize them concisely

or

b. all vote on ONE that satisfies everyone, would be simple (whatever that means) to implement for Sev, and include with it a back-up plan. Then bring it before Sev like a petition of sorts with all of our signatures.

This is going to take some organization and tact...which probably means it won't happen given the way you freaks behave.

Comment

I disagree that they should have to be completed stories, mostly because that would knock out pretty much everyone besides End haha. Why don't we say instead the contest winners are automatically in?

Why don't we compile a list now so we have something to give Sev?

Everyone could post a few stories they feel really strongly about (including their own if this is the case) and a working list can be posted on the appropriate thread.

EDIT: Simulpost there. Congrats on the job, Chubby. Is everyone cool with this idea for the must-read list?
                                Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information