Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IWT6 Topic Poll (for prospective participants)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of them, like Inventory and such, are good tools; I'd like to see them come into play. This is, after all, a contest between sites and ideologies over this sort of fiction, and I've always been interested to see how their concentration on the mechanics of the thing fares against our concentration on the literature. So long as it's made clear this is a fiction contest, not a game contest, I don't have a problem with the tools.
    Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

I do. They're outright amazing tools, and I would kill to have some of them. The use of a variable alone- that's all I ask for, really- would mean so much. An old man gives you a bit of advice that could have been ignored, the variable is set, and then later on the story checks if you received that advice. If you did, you'd know what to do in that encounter- if not, you get gushed. As it is now, two entirely different sets of room branches, identical in every way but their origin, is required to keep this separate. A story with three such plot point variables has eight sections of duplication.

I understand that too many of these coding tricks turns a story into a game. Games are the last thing I'd want to write, and I'd hate to see a swarm of horrid games appear on the site. But, damn, I'd really like a variable feature.

I digress. If I can't have it, they can't have it.
      Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
      Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
      And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Typically I find I agree with Hobbes, but in this case I'm all for Locke.

I say let them use inventory. As long as its prose in the typical sense, I'm game.

;-)
        http://forums.infinite-story.com/pro...st=ignore&u=36

"The Secret" was right. You were thinking about adding Megaman to your ignore list. And it almost came true! The universe sends you this hyperlink to make your job a lot easier. Click it now.

Comment

but can't we all have it? What if an IS author wants to give the CYS tools a chance for this one contest? It might be fun. Personally I'm an IS girl 100% so I don't feel inclined to use their toys, but as writers the contest is about growing and if that site allows a certain IS author some new tool for growth why discourage it?

Although, I do see End's point with avoiding biases. Perhaps the rules should specifically state that there should be deduction for game stories?
          Last edited by Hi! My name is: Katie; 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM.
          ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Well, ultimately it's up to Ves, if she's feeling democratic she could create yet another poll on the subject, but she's already made it clear that she's not particularly fond of the idea of them using anything.

Judging based on the IS voices here, the voting would probably go something like this:

FOR: Katie, Locke, Xnull

AGAINST: DEP, End, Usoki, Ves

If Drag votes, he'll probably side with against. Apoth could go either way if he votes.

Regardless of what's decided, I'm still going to be in the contest and creating it on here.
            Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

You can't vote against me! We're married!

Seriously though, if we decide to cripple the competition I guess I'm down with that.
              ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

Edit: Nevermind, Katie filled me in.

My personal opinion is that all stories that are in the tournament should be posted on Infinite Story. Then, if they want to have a tournament, we can compete in that, and all the stories can be posted on that site.

That makes sense to me, otherwise having them on different sites just seems awkward.
                Last edited by apotheosis; 01-20-2009, 11:52 AM.
                Click it now.

Comment

So do we need to make a different thread concerning the CYS involvement or what, because it looks like the theme portion is taken care of as well as the 20 room minimum debate.
                  Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by Hi! My name is: Katie View Post
                    ...Personally I'm an IS girl 100% so I don't feel inclined to use their toys...
                    What? You are not interested in using toys any more? Since when?

You can't vote against me! We're married!
                    Oh yeah, you got married... You don't need toys any more.

Now, onto the topic hand...

Originally posted by End Master View Post
                    If Drag votes, he'll probably side with against.
                    Don't talk for me... just for that I am going blow your mind and Vote... against.
                    Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Discussion about the IS/CYS joint competition has been moved here:

http://forums.infinite-story.com/showthread.php?t=468
                      Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 09:08 AM.
                      My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

3. It lets them focus more on pure writing rather than fancy tricks and they've had a few contests on there in the past where they didn't use any excessive scripting/inventory/etc. so this would just be like one of those contests, just with no room/page limit.
                        Arrgh! End. We've only ever had one contest like that and it was practically a dismal failure, with very few entrant stories. Ironically, Ground Zero won, so it wasn't that bad because that's an amazing storygame (I still stick by this term, there IS gameplay, when you click links, whether or not you focus on the story or the game, is irrelevant, at least in my mind) right there.

Anyway, I've outlined my opinion on the matter in the other thread. I will say though, if I'm forced to post my story over here, I probably won't compete. Actually, you might be lucky to get ONE entrant from CYS, should that be the case.
                        How we paid such close attention
                        To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Originally posted by Dragavan View Post
                          Don't talk for me... just for that I am going blow you... again.
                          I'm SO not comfortable with you talking to my husband like that... and what do you mean?! AGAIN!?!
                          ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

I'm SO not comfortable with you talking to my husband like that... and what do you mean?! AGAIN!?!
                            Well... how do you think I got him to marry you?
                            Dragavan: Dragavan Games - Lootin' Wizards - The Land of Karn - Central U (adult) - Dragavan's Adult Stories

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ-thebanisher View Post
                              Anyway, I've outlined my opinion on the matter in the other thread. I will say though, if I'm forced to post my story over here, I probably won't compete. Actually, you might be lucky to get ONE entrant from CYS, should that be the case.

While I haven't voted the "you have to play on our field" thing, it's kind of shitty that any story posted in a CYS contest has to be posted on CYS, but to ask the same for IS is somehow unfair.
                              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

You know what? I've changed my mind.

Usoki made some very compelling arguments which, after further consideration, have ultimately swayed me.

The topic for the IWT6 will hereby be Infinite Story.

(Besides, myth is too close to allegory.)

And since there have been myriad complaints about the constraints of even the broadest of topics, then why keep this yoke of servitude upon you all? The subject matter is now absolutely up to you to play with as you please. Just be sure to loop all those rooms so you can keep the reader plodding endlessly up and down their sisyphusian hill.
                                Last edited by Vesnic; 10-05-2011, 09:09 AM.
                                My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information