No announcement yet.

Infinite Writing Tournament 11- Horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome dreamshell! I've randomly chosen your tropes and you got...

Torture and Transformation/Metamorphosis

You are officially added into this maddening contest! Good luck.

Comment

Not a bad draw. Good luck.
      Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Rather apt, considering I just brought up Ghosts of Mars the other day. And though I've never found myself tempted to write LotR fanfiction, that combo seems like the perfect opportunity to write something on the origin of the orcs.

I might also go for something more akin to Hellraiser or The Cell. At any rate, psychologically-induced body horror sounds fun. >=D

Comment

5600 words in 7 rooms so far.

The above numbers will be edited to vary as progress is made.
          Last edited by donteatpoop; 07-01-2014, 09:39 PM.
          The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

the whole theme this year is dumb but ok gimme some random themes so I can write some extremely low effort garbage

Comment

Mizal you got abandoned/ghost town and possession.

Comment

haha oh man those are easy, thanks

I almost feel bad for all those terrible things I said about you in various PMs to everyone else on the site now.

And I definitely feel bad for making up all those other things about you that one time I talked to the FBI...

Comment

Hey one of our CYS cousins had some questions about the contest stuff over here in the thread DEP posted.

Figured since BatCountry is actually running this thing, he could make a decision on this:

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/th.../message/12858
                  Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
                    Figured since BatCountry is actually running this thing, he could make a decision on this.
                    Wait a minute, so when it was me running the contest and I wasn't in favor of including stories made with CYS' game generator, then I was thoroughly trounced and told that it was not in fact my decision to make but rather a democratic issue to be voted upon by the community. The ensuing fracas created such a clusterfuck of people quibbling over all the little details of a collaboration which never materialized anyway, resulting in a lot of confusion and disagreement. But now that the same issue has again arisen, it's all up to BatCountry?

Nice, very nice.
                    Last edited by Vesnic; 06-26-2014, 12:56 AM.
                    My sanity, my soul, or my life.

Comment

And right on time...

Yeah, because it was obviously a cluster fuck the last time this came up when an attempt at democracy was employed so to avoid said cluster fuck, BatCountry can go ahead and make the final decision.

But if you lot want to bitch and scream at each other about it though, hey be my guest, I'm just cross posting the thread because DEP was the one who invited CYS to join in and someone over there had questions.

Comment

Yeah, because it was obviously a cluster fuck the last time this came up when an attempt at democracy was employed so to avoid said cluster fuck.
                        Yes, it was a terrible clusterfuck. It was hurtful and confusing and most of all, unnecessary. No binding vote should have been taken to apply to the then-current contest, but even the vote that was taken showed a strong majority favored any CYS users interested in a contest to join us over at IS and play by our rules. Fine. But that's not what JJJ-thebanisher is suggesting now. He says he thinks "more people will be into entering if they can use our (CYS') editor". Doesn't it raise just the smallest red flag that this is coming from 3J? He's the same one who got into things the last time and started talking about some sort of collaboration as if it were a foregone conclusion, which Usoki called him on several times.

BatCountry can go ahead and make the final decision.
                        Well yes, obviously. These decisions are up to the contest organizer, after all, which is why I think you can see why I might take some exception to your sudden change in tone. How would you expect me to feel about it? You were so anxious to take the reins out of my hands, just as you're placing them in Bat's now. But if you really respect the right of the contest winner/organizer to make these decisions, then just let Bat do it. He doesn't need your permission, any more than I did, despite what ultimately happened.

This issue of collaboration with CYS has already been talked to death on several occasions. Someone in that old thread from 2009 made a very good point, that CYS can always choose to be the host of a collaborative contest. In fact, since 3J has dual membership and he's the one who keeps instigating, then why doesn't he also organize it rather than playing dumb and disingenuously asking the same questions which were already thoroughly answered the last time?

But if you lot want to bitch and scream at each other about it though, hey be my guest.
                        Bitching? Yes I am complaining, and for valid reasons. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Screaming? No, I'm not doing any of that. I wasn't doing it last time either, despite your tiresome accusations to the contrary. I made a very cogent argument for why I didn't think a collaboration using story engine features was valid. Yes, I was surprised when the decision was taken from me, and I'm even more surprised now that the issue has flip-flopped without so much as an acknowledgment of the double standard being applied. A simple apology would have gone a long way. But my pointing out an obvious inconsistency does not make me hysterical. If I didn't say anything, I really think that would make me a bit of a pushover.

The main point from before still stands now. I don't find IS and CYS comparable enough to do a truly collaborative venture. Most importantly, that is not what I agreed to when I said "yes" to this contest. This is primarily for BatCountry:

Bat, you have already set the parameters for your contest, and people are expecting you to maintain these same parameters in exchange for their agreement to participate. There has already been some problems with this, with Usoki feeling that things were changed unfairly after he had already committed himself, and that was still in the probationary period. The rules now are now firmly set, and I think it is owed to the participants to keep them that way.

Oh, and just for the record: I will likely not be participating if this contest expands beyond IS. Furthermore, I would expect to not be penalized for my withdrawal with any of that SHAME or SCORN nonsense. I would make such a decision neither lightly nor out of anger, but because it reflects what is fair and logical. I agreed to certain terms. I expect those terms to be met.

Comment

You know what Ves, still whining over something that happened over 5 fucking years ago on the goddamn internet is pretty much a prime example of a "hysterical drama queen."

But hey it's cool though because it's ALWAYS perfectly okay for you to constantly paint me as a scheming domineering asshole that is forever constantly trying to "undermine" you. That one is getting just as "old" as you claiming that we're always calling you a "drama queen".

I also like how you turned all this around and made it ALL about you though. For one thing I said YOU LOT. That doesn't just include YOU, I was referring to anyone and everyone here.

I'm not even sure WHY you're even bothering to argue about this, because you know that this plan wasn't going to be approved anyway. It's one of the reason why I didn't bother trying to opening the doors for this again because I know how xenophobic we tend to be over here. Quite frankly I was sort of surprised when DEP spontaneously decided to make an invitation thread over at CYS.

So back to what I originally said, you guys do what you want, whether that means you want to yell and scream at each other in a democratic fashion and come to a decision or if you want to BatCountry to rule with an iron fist like YOU wanted him to do and he can make the final decision.

OR if you want to beat him down with verbal abuse and make him submit to the will of the "people" then you guys can do that too.

As for BatCountry, I suggest he just go ahead and make a decision and not give a fuck about what anyone thinks.

Comment

still whining over something that happened over 5 fucking years ago on the goddamn internet
                            If you don't want me to whine, don't reopen old wounds.

I respond to things online as I respond to things in life. I've never drawn an arbitrary border, delineating the area where I can be an asshole from the area where I have to behave. I like being fully present for my own life, wherever I happen to be at any given moment.

a scheming domineering asshole
                            Don't be so hard on yourself, End.

I also like how you turned all this around and made it ALL about you though.
                            Nope, that's not true. Reread my post. You'll see a lot of it is actually about protocol, the contest rules, reasons for collaborating or not collaborating, etc.

Calling us "xenophobic" is also sort of harsh. This site has a particular aim and a particular slant on the writing process. That's what distinguishes us from other similar sites. It doesn't imply that we fear or hate them, just that we do our thing and they do theirs. If adjustments take place to change that model, they should be done carefully and at the right time.

I make no assumptions about what will or won't happen in the future. All I know is that this contest has already been determined and people have agreed to certain parameters, which they expect to be upheld. 3J is familiar with us after years of existing on both sites, so I don't see why he couldn't have taken that considerable space of time when Bat was still mulling things over to come on over here and make his suggestion directly. That would have made fantastic sense.

As for all the other details of this debate, it's all covered here in microscopic detail, analyzed form every angle and eventuality.

And for all the complaining you do about me, End, you always bemoan my absence when I'm gone, which I find pretty sweet actually. I'm afraid my recent measured responses might be disappointing to you, but the problem on MY end (and yes, now I AM talking about myself, as the all-caps suggest) is that I just have too much stressful real-life stuff going on right now to engage in one of our epic flame wars. I'm all for reminiscing with a beer and a burger sometime though, if you're interested.
                            Last edited by Vesnic; 06-26-2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Eh, I am an asshole, maybe domineering at times, but I disagree with the scheming part though.

I didn't re-open any old wounds though. It wasn't like I said "Ha ha! Remember that time you melted down and didn't come back for years?!"

All I did was cross post a link and then suddenly you jumped on my case.

This whole thing probably would've went smoother without us arguing because what would've most likely have happened is BatCountry would've said, "Yeah fuck these guys, they can post their shit over here if they want to join." and that would've been it.

I still think we are kind of xenophobic around here, which actually I don't care about excessively in the scheme of things. Since I mean it is cool to have a place that is a little more isolated from the rest of the virtual world.

But the thing is CYS has improved a lot from when we were all making fun of them back in what 2005-2007? The quality of writers have gotten a lot better. Like vastly better. And I know we do the "pure writing" thing over here, but I'm just saying it isn't quite all about the "game aspect" over there. There are some things written over there that are similar to stories over here now.

But that's really another topic.

Okay anyway I know you have your view point and I have mine and we're probably not going to completely agree, but we do have to stop fighting, because the CYS kids are watching and we have to maintain a united front…or something.

Comment

Yo, I was inviting them to come over here and write a story. Simple. Contest on this site, story on this site.
                                The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information