IWT 7: Urban Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWT 7: Urban Fantasy

Okay seems like everyone likes the idea of Urban Fantasy so that's going to be the theme for IWT 7. If you aren't sure what might qualify as Urban Fantasy, do what all the cool kids do an look it up on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy

Deadline will be January 16th. That gives you plenty of time and doesn't interfere with your possible decadent New Years plans.

Same scoring as before, 1 to 10 scale in these 3 categories

Spelling/Grammar
    Plot/Creativity
    Enjoyment

Weight one category that you think is the most important so it will count for double for all stories.

Stories must be at least 20 rooms long to qualify. It can be 19 rooms and be the best thing ever written, but if it isn't 20 it doesn't count. So shove that extra crappy room on there if you must.

Post in this thread if you're interested in entering, but be warned if you do and then fail to submit something, be prepared to suffer great everlasting SHAME for your indecision and flip flopping. (At least until you actually participate in a future contest)

If you're interested but you're confined to only lurking because you're stuck in limbo and can't post, send a PM to me letting me know that you're interesting in joining. (Same SHAME rules apply to you as well)

I think that's about it.

UPDATE: People who committed to the contest

Cat2000
    Crunchyfrog
    DEP
    End
    Katie
    Locke
    Mizal
    Ryan
    Smeester
    Spartan
    The Writer AKA King Malice
    Usoki
    Last edited by End Master; 12-10-2010, 12:08 AM. Reason: Updated the new deadline change
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

I'm sorry I didn't enter the last contest, but now that it's over with I can come out of hiding and promise to enter the next one!

Would a sort of Hellboy-ish thing with maybe vampires or whatever count as urban fantasy?

Also when I logged in a minute ago I saw I had 35 messages from the admin and various other people warning me about viruses, it's so sweet that you guys are so concerned about the welfare of my computer, I'm going to go buy that software you all recommended right away.

Comment

Look at this, a newbie takes the first steps to joining my glorious crusade! What of the rest of you eunuchs? Will you let this mere child put you to SHAME as you cower behind the skirts of your significant others? Join me or die! Can you do anything less?

Straight into the heart of the enemy! Who's with me?

Originally posted by mizal View Post
      Would a sort of Hellboy-ish thing with maybe vampires or whatever count as urban fantasy?
      Yeah, just make sure it's taking place primarily in a city environment.

I've got an idea in mind for this contest already. It was something I was going to work on before, but I wasn't sure how to start it off. With this sort of setting it actually gives me a bit better focus, but without taking too much away from my original idea.
      Last edited by End Master; 02-13-2010, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I guess since my significant other is chopping off the heads of those that aren't participating there's no point cowering behind him! Count me in.
        ~KatieWroteIt

Comment

I, too, am interested. I do hereby throw my hat into the ring. ...Or my tree branch head topper thingie. Whatevs.
          Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
          Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
          And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

I haven't entered a contest yet, but I am definitley entering this one. I really like the idea of Urban Fantasy and think it should produce some good stories.
            come not between the dragon and his wrath--Shakespeare

Comment

I can already see a sick smile curling on EndMaster's lips as he prepares to shame Wolfen.

Comment

Seems appropriate that a guy called Spartan should join after a speech like that.

Ryan has technically been in SHAME since the first contest back in 2005, he's only just recently redeemed himself.

Comment

Haha, that must be the year of the "Sick Shores" catastrophe. As the whole "SHAME" rule was only just implemented, though, it looks to me like I've been shame free, my whole life!

And back then I was "YazZMaN", anyway. Now that I have a new name, it's the forum equivalent of being "reborn". Any shame which YazZMan acquired has been gone since 2008.
                  Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 02-14-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Bah, DEP's initial sloppy application of power has let criminals escape due to legal loopholes.

Looks like we've got 5 people total so far, that's a pretty good start. It'll be nice if everyone manages to stay on board with this to the end.

Comment

I like the theme, and I have a few ideas, but with my track record I don't think I want to risk the SHAME by committing at this point.
                      Last edited by Locke; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Comment

Uh-oh. Looks like you're committed, now, Locke.

Comment

Okay Crunchyfrog and Smeester sent me PMs saying they wanted to join up, so that brings the total up to 7 participants at this point.

Comment

Smeester appears to be both a good writer and very prolifc -- he's already got a story up. I haven't read any stuff from Crunchy or Mizal, but my guess is that they're good, too.

Everyone who enters is going to have to fight hard, this year -- lest we be whooped by these noobs.

Comment

Throw some poop on this shit, end.
                              The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Working...
                              Do Not Sell My Personal Information