No announcement yet.

IWT 7: Urban Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're not an asshole, you're "courteously challenged".

And anyone who doesn't to turn in a story by the due date will now suffer great "Deferred Pride"
    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Usoki: I don't think you're an asshole; I just found the whole use of the word "cranky" extremely amusing for whatever reason. You DO come across as pessimistic, but it's in a good way. Like Daria or something.

Your "sarcastic wit" makes a highly valuable contribution to the forums.

Mizal: It's a bad thing -- Usoki's a courteously-challenged asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by end master View Post
        you're not an asshole, you're "courteously challenged".

and anyone who doesn't to turn in a story by the due date will now suffer great "deferred pride"
        Hilarious ^
        How we paid such close attention
        To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm really sorry about the other night! I was just bored and trying to be edgy and cool like you guys. I don't know what went wrong! I was typing with my cap turned sassily backwards and everything.

I don't want to wind up with a reputation though, so...uh...how about that urban fantasy y'all? Awesome stuff amirite?

Comment

Originally posted by mizal View Post
            Hey everyone, I'm really sorry about the other night!
            You're doing it wrong.

The cool and edgy way to do it, would be to delete your previous posts and then say you don't remember posting them since you were high on a combination of meth and pig excrement at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
              You're doing it wrong.

The cool and edgy way to do it, would be to delete your previous posts and then say you don't remember posting them since you were high on a combination of meth and pig excrement at the time.
              I will take your word for this.

Comment

Urban fantasy, huh? I might enter this one... and actually have something completed (or near enough) by the deadline. Hmmm...

Comment

So how is everyone's story coming along?

I wrote down a bunch of ideas (almost said I did some brainstorming but oh God let's not go there again...) back in like, May, but then I saw a shiny thing and wandered off and I haven't really attempted any work on it since then.

I guess this would be about the time to start getting serious about it, though...then again maybe I'll do the traditional thing and wait for the last 72 hours before the deadline, who knows.

Comment

We've only got 14 rooms, so far. I'm going to get back to it this week, I think, since college starts in less than a month. As far as I can tell, Cat has dropped out (maybe she got a boyfriend?), but she basically gave us the entire initial plot. Locke has added a room, and I think he'll be doing some more, later on.

Anyway, I really like what's there so far. I'm hoping to get at least 40 rooms before the end of everything, but I think that's a bit of a high goal; this past year I've finally come to realize that I really hate writing with a passion, despite how much I like to read.

And I don't know if anyone would want to do this, but our story is set up to be a pretty big epic... thing (it takes place in a huge city with several detailed sections, each with there own history); after the contest, I'm thinking we could release it to the public, and people could detail their own city sections and we could make a huge fantasy thing out of it, like we wanted to do years ago. If we used links, we could even make a WORLD, where the cities would only be small parts of it. And everyone could add in their characters, etc.

Just an idea. I've already got a half-assed city map made up for ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois View Post
                      And I don't know if anyone would want to do this, but our story is set up to be a pretty big epic... thing (it takes place in a huge city with several detailed sections, each with there own history); after the contest, I'm thinking we could release it to the public, and people could detail their own city sections and we could make a huge fantasy thing out of it, like we wanted to do years ago. If we used links, we could even make a WORLD, where the cities would only be small parts of it. And everyone could add in their characters, etc.
                      Do you mean everyone just working together to detail and compile this stuff like some kind of RPG setting, or actually opening the CYOA itself to let people adopt settings like in HOID?

Comment

I guess what I was thinking was something along the lines of we make a CYAO, allow a reader to select from a list of locations, and then maybe pick from a list of stories using characters and settings from our "world" and primarily that specific location.

I think our other fantasy story was planned for the forums, but I can't remember. I've just got the urge to do a huge collaborative project since for some reason I believe it would motivate me to write more. Anyway, there's still like four months to worry about it. I just wanted to throw the idea out there before forcusing back on my contest story. If anyone's up for it, we can work out the details later.

I really don't think I'll want to enter anymore contests after this one -- just do something very lesuirely so that I can still say I'm "contributing to the site".

Comment

I got about half of one of my major branches completed. I know I'm not getting the entire story completed, but I'll have more than 20 rooms though. I just find I have less and less time to write nowadays.

You might end up having more than 4 months to go anyway since the deadline might get pushed ahead as it usually does.

I didn't realize Locke officially joined the contest though, I guess I'll add him to the first page list since you said he's helping contribute to your community story.

Who else is working on this big community contest story? So far I'm guessing it's Ryan,mizal,Cat and Locke.

I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to factor in the judging scores this time since you can't vote for your own story which means some people are going to have more votes than others.

EDIT: Grrr. It's not letting me update the first post in this thread for some reason. I'll just post the list here

Crunchyfrog
                          DEP
                          End
                          Katie
                          Locke
                          Mizal
                          Ryan
                          Smeester
                          Spartan
                          Usoki
                          Last edited by End Master; 08-04-2010, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I'm not a part of the collaborative one...but hmm maybe if mine goes nowhere I can convince them to let me toss in a chapter at the last minute and thus avoid SHAME.

Comment

Since Cat left, it would be cool if you want to join (we'd better win it if we have THIS many people working on it, though! )

Comment

Thanks, but I'll probably just try and stick it out with my own project. It's high time I get serious and have something of my own completed here.

I am pretty curious about the story you guys are working on though, especially now that you might be opening it up to other people afterwards. I could definitely see myself geeking out about something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information