IWT 7: Urban Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, not to put bad ideas in your head, but I was looking at it this way:

Suppose you DO win. Like you said, you might get about 5 entrants for next year... or less, since some people might think having to do a HOID branch for a submission is absurd. Still, the less entrants that there are, the better your chances are of winning the contest again. The more entrants there are, the worse your chances will be, but that would be fine too, since the more people there are, the faster HOID will grow.

And regardless of how many people enter, HOID's going to be growing way faster than it was with just one entrant, anyway. Especially since you yourself will probably be way more motivated to make lots of quality entries on it.

Even if you lost after the first year, HOID would be significantly bigger. And if you didn't lose after a couple years...

HOID would become a massive blob of awesomeness.

[EDIT]

Or the IWT would be disbanded. But probably not. People would just keep thinking to themselves: "Next year he'll lost... next year."
    Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois View Post
      People would just keep thinking to themselves: "Next year he'll lost... next year."
      Is that what they'd be thinking? No wonder they keep losing.
      Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
      Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
      And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Eh? You're comment is going right over my head, Usoki. Do you mean because they wouldn't be thinking he'll lose this year?

... Or does it have to do with my misspelling of lose?

Sorry -- all these Computer Science and Math classes must have eaten away my common sense.
        Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM.

Comment

It was definately the 'lost' rather than 'lose' thing, YazZ. It made me laugh too when I read it out loud.
          The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

Oh. I was kinda leaning toward the other one, myself, but I'll take your word for it.

Comment

All this talk about HOID reminded me I'd intended to add to it sometime. But that would take effort. So I just moved the nine chapters of the first story I attempted here to there, to the door with star-chart-printed mat. Which funnily enough was my original intentions for the piece when I first found this place, before I decided it was going to be all huge and epic.

Who knows, I still have tons of notes and stuff about the plot, maybe I'll get back to it sometime.

Oh yeah and you're magically a goblin now and have magically been one your whole life.
              Last edited by mizal; 02-21-2010, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Gah. I'm having troubles coming up with anything to write for this theme. I'll keep brainstorming. (On a side note, did you guys know that some teachers are trying to get the word "brainstorming" banned because it's "offensive to epileptics". Isn't that fucked?")
                How we paid such close attention
                To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Yeah, but it's also normal. It isn't any new practice for people to abandon words once they become associated with something negative and then replace them with "nicer" ones. Then, after a little bit of time passes, we start to associate the new words with that same thing, and have to do another replacement.

It's an endless cycle.

I'm not saying it's good -- it's just what people do.

As for brainstorming... I'm going to smirk every time I hear the word, from now on. And I'm guessing it will be a very long time before it actually gets banned.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ-thebanisher View Post
                    some teachers are trying to get the word "brainstorming" banned because it's "offensive to epileptics".
                    It is? Why am I just NOW learning of this?

All these years I could've been calling epileptics "brainstormers" instead of the more cumbersome "those people that spaz out whenever they see flashing lights"

EDIT: Actually that PC silliness reminds me of something I read years ago with some school in England that was trying to change the word "failure" because they thought it was too harsh. They wanted to replace it with "deferred success"
                    Last edited by End Master; 02-21-2010, 03:27 PM.
                    Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by End Master View Post
                      It is? Why am I just NOW learning of this?

All these years I could've been calling epileptics "brainstormers" instead of the more cumbersome "those people that spaz out whenever they see flashing lights"

EDIT: Actually that PC silliness reminds me of something I read years ago with some school in England that was trying to change the word "failure" because they thought it was too harsh. They wanted to replace it with "deferred success"
                      Political Correctness is a plague. In my opinion, it's been taken way too far.
                      How we paid such close attention
                      To each sweet and stuttered breath,

Comment

Lol! "Deferred success" is hilarious.

Comment

meth is delicious
                          Last edited by mizal; 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Usoki has just been out-cranked.

Comment

so is pig shit om nom nom
                              Last edited by mizal; 02-24-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois View Post
                                Usoki has just been out-cranked.
                                Do I really come across as being that angry of a person? I always thought of myself as a semi-logical, half-naive pessimistic silly person with bouts of adorably bitter and hilarious sarcastic wit.

Apparently I'm an asshole. Who knew?
                                Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
                                Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
                                And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information