No announcement yet.

IWT 7: Urban Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four are definitely entering (since Crunchy is over 20 rooms, but also hasn't released hers). Also, Spartan released a fantasy story a while ago, but I'm not sure if that's his entry.

My guess that we'll have about 7 or 8 contestants.

Comment

• The only story of Spartan's that I'm seeing in his story list that could qualify is "Earth Divided" since it was created in 2010, but it's not urban fantasy (It's some sort of Mecha SciFi), so I'm guessing he's still got something to submit. Haven't heard anything from him for awhile.

Smeester said he'd produce something. I imagine Crunchy will remind him in case he's been slackin'.

Mizal said she had something.

The Writer/King Malice, I have no idea. He disappeared.

I'm getting a little concerned about Katie and Usoki. Though Katie said she did have a story, but I'm going to have to remind her again to post it soon. We'll see what happens with Usoki, but I'm guessing he'll probably manage to submit something.

Locke and Cat2000 as far as I know haven't contributed anything to Ryan's collaboration story.
      Last edited by End Master; 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM.
      Writing: It's more fun than a barrel of Ebola ridden monkeys!

Comment

• Yeah... I'll have something. I just have absolutely no idea what it will resemble. Given the bachelor party this weekend, and my friend's wedding over the due date, I suspect whatever I submit will end up being the easiest thing to write in whatever state of mind I happen to be in at the time. So... I make no guarentees on quality control, but at least it'll be better than that Mudkip story Apoth submitted two contests ago.
        Originally posted by Ryan_DuBois
        Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.
        And it's embarrassing when you make any noise at all.

Comment

• Yeah that mudkip story really set the bar high.
          The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

• I was thinking Spartan might use his "Stonehaven" story, although it looks like it was started just before the theme for this year was chosen. Locke and Cat aren't entering this one with me (unless you decide to toss me an extra 9 rooms, Locke -- that'd be pretty sweet, heh).

Comment

• Speaking of Apoth, I know he made a brief appearance recently, but he's been sort of absent for several months, so I'm just going to assign the score tallying stuff to Ryan this time since he's into the math stuff and he's around more frequently.

If there are any objections to this, say something now.

Okay, motion passes!

PM all your scores to Ryan when we get to the judging portion of the contest.
              Last edited by End Master; 01-08-2011, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Can't you just stalk and murder me like everyone else?!

Alright, I'll do it.

Comment

• I got the break I needed. After rereading Teatime, and the Wiki's definition of Urban Fantasy, I finally got inspried. It's not even remotely serious, but it's really fun to write. And the best part is, I'm practically guarenteed to avoid SHAME, thanks to the variables I'm tracking. I'm almost getting two rooms for the content of one- some of the paragraphs are different by necessity.
                  Usoki, you're the crankiest asshole we know. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means that you smell funny and are best left hidden in darkness.

Comment

• Seeing as how there aren't very many days left I'm going to try to scramble and pump at out least 5 more rooms in Mystic Elevator.
                    The organ is grinding but the monkey won't dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by donteatpoop View Post
                      Seeing as how there aren't very many days left I'm going to try to scramble and pump at out least 5 more rooms in Mystic Elevator.
                      Heh, not a bad idea seeing as how "Delmechia" is a couple thousands words ahead.

Not sure if I'll get to add any more to it, though. I'll release it tomorrow night and then just work on it when I can until the deadline gets here.

[EDIT]

Released.

A couple things to note for anyone who goes to read it, though:

- The zoom-in for the map isn't done yet. I have a couple "okay" close-ups for the sections, but I'll probably get rid of those and try to make something better later.

- Only "Expuridius Ea Tarador" and "Veyremendor" have detailed info sections. They're the only two you'll need at this point, since the other sections can't be visited in the story yet.

- You can only take on the role of the male Elemental Lord (I'm not sexist, I swear!). I initially thought Cat2000 was going to do the human woman's path, and so I didn't touch it for the duration of the contest. There's no telling when I'll start on it, myself, since if I continue work on this story I want to finish the Elemental Lord's scenario first.

- If it isn't showing up on the main site, yet, you can get to it by linking into "YazZMaN's Stories".
                      Last edited by Ryan_DuBois; 01-12-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Looks like a strong contender just glancing through the first couple pages.

Comment

• Heh, thank-you. EndMaster's rare compliments are always appreciated!

I think the writing in the beginning is the strongest, but the whole thing has been fun to write so far.

Comment

• I've been uncharacteristically active in rating various stories and making comments on them in general lately. Probably subconsciously getting in that mode for the contest stuff.

Anyway a friendly reminder that the rest of you only have 3 days left!

Comment

• Do we stop writing on the 16th? Or is the 16th the absolute last day to write? I'm not too worried about twenty rooms at this point, but I would like to get some non-intro material into the story so there's actually something there for everyone to judge. And since I can't update the story during the voting period to make it fair to those who are reading it at different times... I'd like to know when, exactly, I need to stop.

Comment

• You still got until midnight on the deadline date, that's how we've always done it from the beginning.

Of course everyone shouldn't do what Ryan did during the first contest. He spent the last 5 or 6 hours on the forum complaining to DEP on the deadline date that he wasn't going finish when he could've easily finished his story if he hadn't been wasting time complaining in the first place!

(Glad he learned his lesson since then)
                                Last edited by End Master; 01-13-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                Do Not Sell My Personal Information